It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flint or Lighter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I was watching Man vs Wild and he always uses a flint instead of a lighter and I was wondering if there is any advantages to this.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
that reply is not meant to be sarcastic

but

you should set off with a lighter / matches - and use them recklessly in the 1st week - you need instant fire , you have more pressing things to do than spend 2 to 10 minuites every time you want to start a fire .

once you have " stopped running " take time to use other slower and more sustainable fire starters

you should never use all youir matches [ water / wind resistant ones naturally ] - but keep some in reserve for getting you past injuries , loos of fliny etc

dependant on geology / flora - you can always find / create some means of fire starter - if you know how - but it can take time and prep

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Do flints last long?
I hope thats not a stupid question because Ive never used one.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Flints are excellent even when wet.... the flint i use has lasted 2 years and still going strong

I would recomend saving lighters or matches for emergencys (when you need fire quickly) because they have a finite life much shorter then your flint. The flint can be struck using a good high carbon knife (not stainless steel) Although most come with a striker blade.

Of course if you loose your flint you can always try fire by friction... a skill i would recomend everyone to learn

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
excellent points by both ape and chef. just one other point to add: dont toss old cheap lighters simply because they are out of fluid.....you can still use the flint and striker in them.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Snafu7700 mentioned what I was going to... lighters have flint in them as well. I would say put a few regular lighters into your survival kit (You can get them in packs of 5 or more quite cheap at the checkout counters in most stores). They are light and efficient. You can use the lighters until they run out of butane. With 5 lighters if you are conserving it properly, that should last you months. Then after that, you can use the the remaining flint to spark tinder even longer. If the situation goes on any longer than that, you're likely to be rubbing sticks together in the end no matter what you initially brought.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well,I don't know much about flint, so I really cannot comment on its productivity. However, it would seem much simpler to me to just carry several boxes of matches and lighters with you.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:55 PM
link   
i actually keep multiple pieces of lighting equipment:

flint and striker, cheap lighters, matches, and a zippo with at least 20 extra flints. the zippo is something to keep in mind because you dont necessarily have to use zippo fuel.....guys in wwII used kerosene or even sometimes gasoline (i'd be real careful with that though). keep in mind, however, that with a zippo the fuel evaporates fairly quickly, which is why, although it is my primary emergency lighting source, it is not my only one.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
As mentined above, I would have supplies of both:

THe lighter gives an advantage of being able to be used instantly. Esp those designed for cigars that emit those jet flames. However, the ease and simplicity of a zippo is also to be considered.

"Hurricane" matches are helpfull and are waterproof and can't be blown out but take up space. Strike anywhere matches are a must as well in a waterproof container.

The flint IMHO should be used as a backup. I suspect on the show they are using it because it is more dramatic.

apc

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Agreed with all of the above. Stock various forms of making fire and learn how to rub two sticks together as well. Matches, waterproof matches, lighters, and flints. Use the relatively finite sources, matches and lighters, only in emergencies while relying on the flint to do the majority of the fire starting.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Great information thanks for the input. Ive been looking online since my post at different flints and i see you can get a magnesium block that you make shavings from to start fires as well.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Lighters are better because you don't have to do anything, just push the thing.

Flints aren't the easiest thing to make fire with anyway. But you should have one just in case it's you last resort

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   
No matter how many lighters you pack they're not going to last you forever. It can only be a good idea to have a backup that lasts longer.

But no matter what you intend to take you should always consider learning to make fire from a couple of sticks and some tinder. Even if you never use it in real life, its a great feeling when you make it even in your garden!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well, my answer has been posted by others but it’s the nature of the question I suppose.

I would bring two flint (as that should last you years) and a hand full of lighters -- the small disposable ones.

Like everyone said, the lighters are cheap and easily bought. If used conservatively they are a nice source of instant flame that should last quite some time (they last me two/three months with liberal use).

Some things that should be understood about disposable lighters are:

1) A wet BIC lighter is not your friend. Store in a small, sealed baggy and avoid submerging them/the baggy.

2) A cold BIC lighter is not your friend. When they are cold they will be stubborn to light and may not light at all (If I leave my lighter in my car over night when it is very cold this can happen. I find that shaking it in your hand seems to help though.)

3) Drop a lighter hard or far enough and you have no more lighter. Those plastic disposables are easily destroyed by a forceful or hard landing onto a hard surface. The various parts of the lighting mechanism may fall off (as they easily do from a less severe landing) and if hitting hard enough they blow up.

I am sure there is more and if I remember I will edit this post to add them.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   
another option i've read about is how it used to be done before matches were invented. keep a medium sized coal from a previous fire in a tin or other metal type box. i've never experimented with this, but i'm sure if you keep it in a loosely sealed container which allows air in, it would smolder for quite some time.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   

another option i've read about is how it used to be done before matches were invented. keep a medium sized coal from a previous fire in a tin or other metal type box. i've never experimented with this, but i'm sure if you keep it in a loosely sealed container which allows air in, it would smolder for quite some time.

Cool - ive also heard of some bracket fungus being used in this way... it smoulder for hours without igniting making it idea for transporting fire over distance

cant remember what particular fungus though

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
heh, great minds....I posted that earlier in another survival thread just a while ago. I said to use denim though, as it converts to carbon in fabric form which is pretty durable.

great stuff.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Magnesium block and a swedish fire steel.

The fire steels good for 12,000 strikes (4 strikes makes a fire...) and the magnesium blocks good for roughly 250 fires.. so all you need is some kinderling and some will power, and within a couple of minutes you will have a roaring fire.

They don't break like matches, don't run out of fuel in weeks like lighters, and the wind does bugger all to the 3000 ' c heat thats produced from the magnesium flame.

But I do agree, with lighters and matches being carried as well.. i'm all for over kill in a fire lighting situation.

But no petrol on the fire please people!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Lots of great points. If the situation appear to be short-term, definitely use the easy means.

I know many lighers have flint in the striker. How can it be used effectively when removed? it seems so very small.

I'm lucky that where I live there is an abundance of flint and chert, up to the size of grapefruits.

I personally have all of the above mentioned items (except flint), listed here:

-strike anywhere matches
-weatherproof matches
-strike on box fuel sticks
-disposable lighter
-magnesium firestarter
-magnifying glass

Fire is essential for light and heat, to cook food, to boil water, and to keep critters and beasts away.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Something I did not see mentioned was CHARRED CLOTH. I keep a small altiods metal container full of little pieces of charred cotton. I char the cotton inside of the altiods container on the bed of coals from the previous fire.

Spark from a "dead" bic...

...causes ember in dry char cloth

drop embering char cloth into a "nest" of tinder (dried cedar bark, yucca stem, etc.)

Blow into nest with lamaze type technique

smoke...

poof!

FIRE

This is how we start our woodstove at the beginning of the cold season.

We also keep bulk bees wax votives and small pieces of oak splinters that we chop with a hatchet to transfer flame with.

I am,

Sri Oracle

top topics

<<   2 >>

join