It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban all PitBulls

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
With a recent death of a child in the UK due to a Pit bull. Little girl Dies from Pit bull

Should there be more banning of this particular breed of dog?

The two top ranking dogs for attacks involving death are the Pit bull & the Rottweiler.

In a study from 1982 - 2006, of 1110 Pit bull attacks, 104 resulted in death as compared to Rotti's at 409/58.

Whether it be the owners fault or other circumstances, the breed of dog itself keeps popping up in these attacks.

Any dog, regardless of breed, is only as dangerous as his/her owner allows it to be

There seems to be an ever growing expectation of a "behaviorally homogenized" dog - "Benji" in the shape of a Rottweiler. Breeds of dogs with greater protection instincts or an elevated prey-drive are often unfairly viewed as "aggressive or dangerous". No breed of dog is inherently vicious, as all breeds of dogs were created and are maintained exclusively to serve and co-exist with humans. The problem exists not within the breed of dog, but rather within the owners that fail to control, supervise, maintain and properly train the breed of dog they choose to keep.

Fatal Dog Attacks

( they try to sell a book at the end )

In an attempt to be unbiased, several studies show most attacks result due to how the dog is bred and cared for, as well as the attack resulting in death being the first sign of any distemperment.

It still poses the question of why this particular breed leads the pack. Even in homes where the dog is well cared for and is revered as a house hold pet, it can still attack without warning.

With many states and provinces already banning Pit bulls, should an all out North American ban be looked at.

Not meant to offend any Pit bull owners, just a personal opinion based on the current statistics regarding this breed of dog. As noted above, any dog is capable of attacking, I just feel the Pit Bull is the front runner too often.

Wiki on Pit bulls

Found the Wiki piece very informative

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
A ban on Pit Bulls and Rottweilers wouldn't upset me a bit. Not only have I read countless reports of these breeds going haywire, I have heard a firsthand account of a Rottweiler owner who had to put his down after an incident. His story was of a friendly, family-oriented Rott that was raised from a puppy. It was a fantastic family pet until one day it went haywire and cornered his wife in their laundry room. She cowered behind the dryer for 2 hours while the dog tried to bust down the door to get to her. When he got home, it acted normally around him but went nuts when it saw his wife. He ended up shooting it in their living room (he pointed out the exact spot to me) because it would not let his wife out of the laundry room.

These dogs are bred to kill. As such, it is unsafe to have them around people. However, we live in a free country...so it's going to be hard to get a ban to stick.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
There should not be any ban. They are dog aggresive, not towards people.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
And what would such a ban entail? These dogs don't exist in the wild, so we'd essentially be agreeing to the extinction of an entire breed of dog. Also, there are triggers. Just because you don't know your dog well enough to understand these triggers is the fault of the owner, not the animal.

Also, because the animal is banned, would this mean that any stray would immediately be put down?

Besides, some states already require you to register pits.

I'd also like to remind people that German Shepherds are right behind pits and rots for human attacks.

From the link in the OP

There seems to be an ever growing expectation of a "behaviorally homogenized" dog - "Benji" in the shape of a Rottweiler. Breeds of dogs with greater protection instincts or an elevated prey-drive are often unfairly viewed as "aggressive or dangerous". No breed of dog is inherently vicious, as all breeds of dogs were created and are maintained exclusively to serve and co-exist with humans. The problem exists not within the breed of dog, but rather within the owners that fail to control, supervise, maintain and properly train the breed of dog they choose to keep.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
A good friend of mine has a pitbull and she has to be one of the sweetest most docile dogs I have met. Mind you, she wasn't like that as a pup, but a firm and loving hand sure took care of her youthful aggressions. Fact is, if there is going to be a ban it must be on foolish and unfit owners, not the animals themselves.

If some rich yuppie decides to buy a Ferrari that is beyond his or her driving abilities and then plows over a few pedestrians do we blame the automaker? A dog is only as good as its master and pitbulls simply aren't for everyone. Perhaps an owner screening process is in order to determine who has the ability and fortitude to own certain breeds of dogs. While we are at it the same could be done for high performance autos, because ultimately the responsibility rests squarely on the owner.

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Orwells Ghost]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
This subject hits very close to home for me. Very

I had a pit bull for many yrs, Meeka, my best friend. She was a very smart dog and listened very well. I understood the importance of proper training when it comes to a little girl with a big dog. I could say 'Meeka, to your room baby' and off she'd go.

I honestly do believe she understood english as well as any of us. She was amazing. I made sure she was properly socialized with both animals and humans and all was well.

She got the job done: Mess with mama and I will eat you, but in reality... she wouldnt hurt a fly. Worked for me because my temper prevents me from packing.

I married, began having children, life goes on. Still same ol meeka (about 6 by the time it all hit the fan). Family dog. My best friend.

Then one day, like any other day, I walked in the house and sit my baby down on his feet in the kitchen. He waddles over to Meeka and she transforms in an instant and viciously bites my babies face. Very badly.

I cared for my child, hurting so badly in so many ways and then had to come home to face Meeka, my best friend. The one that maimed my child. I spent many days as my child healed thinking about what I had to do. What was right.

And it killed me.

I came home with my baby (2 yrs old) and put Meeka in 'her room'. I walked into the kitchen, called animal control, told them what happened and asked for them to please come get her. Not to put her up for adoption but to put her under.

I went to spend my (shew cant type for the tears hehe) last few minutes with my 'best friend' and told her she was going to a place called rainbow bridge where bunches of other animals will be and tons of warm sunshine and yummy food.

And there she sat, the puppy I raised, that precious look in her eyes that I yearned for when I was away from home too long. Her big ol wet nose. We played shaking hands and me just holding her. She hated when I cried so I tried to hide it... she knew.

They wouldnt come inside to get her. I had to take that thing they use and put it around her neck. I had to take her to the truck and put her in the cage. It sucked man.

Er, now I need a nerve pill shew, that was more than I bargained for.

Although verbose, it is, because of my personal experience that... yes, the breed should be banned.

This coming from a self-educated, southern born and breed redneck.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'd also like to remind people that German Shepherds are right behind pits and rots for human attacks.

Exactly.

No dog breed bans are going to solve anything. The owners and trainers of any dog should be held responsible for the behavior of the dog. Period. There is no such thing as a bad breed, just bad owners.

Reality Check

With that in mind, here is a list breeds that have caused at least one fatality within the past two decades:

Akita; Australian Shepherd; Boxer; Bulldog; Bullmastiff; Chesapeake Bay Retriever; Chow Chow; Cocker Spaniel; Collie; Coonhound; Dachshund, Doberman; Golden Retriever; Great Dane; Hound-"type" (may include crossbreeds); Husky; Japanese Hunting Dog; Labrador Retriever; Lhasa Apso, Malamute; Mastiff; Mixed-breed (where dog was known to be a mixed-breed, does not include dogs whose breed was not known); Newfoundland; Pit bull "type" (may include crosses or misidentified individuals); Pomeranian, Rhodesian Ridgeback; Rottweiler; German Shepherd Dog; Saint Bernard; Sheepdog; Sled-"type" (may include crossbreeds); Terrier-"type" (may include crossbreeds); West Highland White Terrier; Wolf/Dog hybrid, Yorkshire Terrier.

Source

Typically gentle breeds that have "bad boy" reputations:

* German Shepherd: great with kids
* Bulldog: gentle, playful
* Rottweilers: can be gentle, affectionate
* Great Danes: gentle, affectionate
* Boxers: good with kids
* Mastiffs-very docile
Most "pit bulls" are not aggressive by nature. They tend to be gentle, playful and loving. However, there are those that have been bred and trained to be aggressive. Even then, they are more aggressive toward other animals, not people.

Breed bans would only punish people who are responsible and raise healthy dogs. Someone who would use a "pit bull" as a weapon wouldn't stop because it's against the law. What they're doing is almost surely already against the law. And when "pit bulls" are banned, they'll just start using Rotties, then GSDs then Black Labs then Boxers...

Get to the people behind these poor dogs. Educate yourself before voting on any breed specific legislation. Please...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Unfortunately, and I'm being careful not to generalise, but there is a certain 'type' who find the idea of owning a pitbull more about some skewed pathetic social standing than about genuinly careing and raising the dog well. You see plenty of chavs in the local park letting their dogs roam freely, attacking other dogs frequently and abusing dog owners for daring to speak up against it. They get off on the dogs fierce reputation and seeing it in action, some lame kind of penis extension issue really, but this is just part of a wider argument about the kind of vile scumbags who continue to ruin and make everyday life intolerable for most.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My take on dogs is that 90% of the people that own them should not own them. Many dog owners fail to realize that their dogs are dogs, not people. Dogs only act "friendly" around their owners because they have been conditioned to do so. Once the owner is not present, the dog acts like a dog again, acting aggresively toward anybody or anything that invades its territory. How many pit bull owners were convinced their dog was "friendly" when it attacked somebody outside the owner's presence. Finally, most breeds of dog are not suited for urban or suburban living. Many dogs should be living on farms chasing squirrels around, and not couped up in a small backyard, or worse, in an apartment. We should not be surprised when a dog confined to a small space goes berzerk.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Ive never seen an angry pit outside of the movies and rap videos.

I never have and never will understand the moronic reaction to ban things you may not like.

Oooooh Im afraid og dogs, ban'em. Im afraid of guns, ban'em. Im afraid of black people, ban'em.

Now I live in the ghet-to known as New Haven, CT and Ive seen idiots at the park with huge-ass ghetto dogs and Ive seen these people intentionally rile them up. Whether playing or not common sense would dictate you dont rile up your big ass ghetto dogs 10 feet away from screaming kids playing tag.

This is not the dogs fault and for every ghetto trash idiot with these ghetto dogs because he saw them in some video on BET theres a dozen responsable dog owners with the sweetest dogs youd ever meet.

If your gonna ban something. Ban ghetto trash from owning pets or having kids or even leaving their houses.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
If your gonna ban something. Ban ghetto trash from owning pets or having kids or even leaving their houses.

Well you got my vote mate!

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, then you've got to decide who is "Ghetto Trash". I'm sure that such a title would be very hard to prove, and pretty offensive if shown to be even mildly accurate.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   
They might as well ban all dogs, becuase its not just the breeds like Pits and Rotties that are dangerous, I've seen Dalmations that were nearly unmanageable by someone outside the owners immeidate family. I've personally been attacked by both a Welsh Corgi and an Akita/Chow mix, so they need to be banned to. And while were at it lets ban cats also, because I've been clawed up pretty good by them too.

This is just another point where people fail to take personal responsiblity for their actions, instead letting a whole breed of dog take the fall rather than themselves stand up for what results from their handling and rasing of a dog.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I am sorry I nearly fell off of my chair laughing when that chart said that a chow chow, and a cocker spaniel has killed

Also a warning Yorkies Kill

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Ford Farmer]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I done a similar thread on irresponsible dog owners, and my opinion that their should be stricter regulations regarding certain dogs ownership. It was inspired by the mauling of a baby in England, I got many replies both from dog-owners and people who didnt, A majority of dog owners didnt agree with me which I understood they argued that it is down owner/trainers relationship with the dog, I couldnt have agreed more but the point I was making was that these "high risk" dogs shouldnt be given to mindless idiots. There is a trend among shall I say wannabe hard-men to own the most reputable vicious and aggressive looking dog possible to get that "nutter" image, (Please I am not saying every owner of dogs such as a Pit-bull etc are "wannabe hard-men"), I have seen dogs like my pals Staff which is indeed very affectionate and docile, it is a very well behaved pup which enjoys playing with other dogs as well as humans, if it were ever to turn on anyone (touch-wood it doesnt) they would be very sorry indeed the size of these small dogs heads is massive and is pure muscle. the danger one of these would possess to a small child isnt one for the imagination. Dogs are Animals not toys, their loyalty counts for nothing around strangers (especially when the owner is not around).

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
A pitbull is only more dangerous than other dogs when the dog is brought up badly.

Normally they wouldn't be dangerous. You can't ban a species of animal thats literally calling to wipe them out. A pitbull can be just as loving a dog as any other dog.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
My take on dogs is that 90% of the people that own them should not own them.

Sadly, I would have to agree with this. Even people who have the best intentions many times don't know enough to do the right thing. Proper socialization is probably THE most important part in raising a dog. Second only to pack awareness. That means that the dog knows beyond the shadow of any doubt that every human he meets is alpha (or dominant) to him.

I feel terrible for people who have suffered bites. But there was something in the dog's training that was lacking.

You think your dog is properly socialized?

Puppy Socialization Quiz

Why do you think I have so many pictures from the dog park? I'm either there or downtown with my dog (GSD) nearly every day meeting people, kids, men and just exposing him to the noises and experiences of life so that he'll be properly socialized.

Owning a large and/or assertive breed that was bred to be a guard dog is a HUGE responsibility. You MUST look at it as a potentially dangerous animal because it is. All the sweetness in the world isn't going to matter a lick when it's put up against the instinct of a guard dog.

This is a video of a GSD police dog biting a man in the face. There are warning signs ALL through this video and I'll bet you $5000 this dog wasn't properly socialized as a puppy. The cop certainly didn't know what he was doing with a GSD. This cop should lose his dog.

Dog Bite Video

As someone alluded to, it's like owning a gun. You don't wave the gun around or pull the trigger when it's aimed at someone or leave it on the coffee table when there's kids in the house - even if you're 100% sure it's not loaded. You ALWAYS treat a gun as if it's loaded. Same with a German Shepherd. (Or any of the other Guard breeds) They're bred to behave a certain way and they do a good job.

Guard Dog Breeds

Sorry for the rambling... we've just touched on something that I know about!

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Sorry. Double post

[edit on 2-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Little One
I walked into the kitchen, called animal control, told them what happened and asked for them to please come get her. Not to put her up for adoption but to put her under.

I had to take that thing they use and put it around her neck. I had to take her to the truck and put her in the cage. It sucked man.

Now that is a responsable owner. You did the right thing and dont be hard on yourself. Any dog is still an animal at heart. I have had dogs that never bit any one and i have had some that wanted to tear people apart. The latter never lived another day after I saw that side of them.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   
First off, let me say I own a Cane Corso, (Italian Mastiff) best breed in the world!

A lot of people have already said it. The dog attack issues falls squarely on the owners shoulders.

I advise you (dog owners) to all watch a few episodes of the Dog Whisperer(Ceasar Millan). Pitbulls are his favorite breed. He admits, there are a strong breed both physically and mentally. YOU must be pack leader, you must be calm, dominate, assertive and not to treat a dog like a human. The most important factor (besides socialization) he brings up with dogs misbehaving is lack of EXERCISE! Exercise and WALK YOUR DOGS everyday until they are physically tired. (A tired dog is a happy dog) Walks are a important essential bonding ritual. Anyone in the household that wants a dog to take commands from them should be along for the walk. Again, when you are walking the dog, be calm, assertive and don't let the dog lead the walk. The dog should be slightly behind or abreast with the pack leader at all times. When you stop, he stops and look to you for direction(leadership). Most times dogs prefer not to be pack leader, its a burden that most can't handle. But if YOU don't make yourself pack leader over the dog, they will instinctually challenge you every step of the way.

If you own a dog that has is a head/physically strong dominate breed, pits, rots,mastiffs etc. A few big no no's. Do not let your dog sleep in/on your bed, sit on your furniture. Elevation (height) is a big dominance factor with dogs. The higher the dog the more powerful they feel! So for example, when Spot, the young cute pit is a pup and learning his rank in the pack, owners pick them up (another no no) and raise them above their heads to kiss them and say...ohhh your so cute! You have just told your dog that they are the pack leader.

Owning a dog and having children are pretty much the same. Sadly, a lot of people are not fit to be parents and likewise a lot of people are not fit to be dog owners. IMO, there should be a certification class fthat you must pass before you are allowed to own dogs or have children.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join