It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban all PitBulls

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by LoneGunMan
mine growls at my wife when she yells at me. I guess I better start watching the ole boy.

You had better start doing more than watching or your wife will be the next one with half her face bitten off. I'm not trying to be dramatic (well, yes I am), but if you want to be sure it doesn't happen, it's your responsibility to do something. Don't just watch it happen.

If your dog growls at your wife when she's yelling at you, that means that your dog thinks that YOU belong to HIM and he's guarding you from your wife (to whom he also feels dominant). You're very fortunate that he's growling as that's a strong warning sign. Many dogs don't warn, they just act. One time when your wife bends over to get his bowl, he just may take that as a threat and let her have it.

THIS IS HOW BITES HAPPEN!!!

Please start practicing NILIF training with your dog right away.
NILIF (Nothing in Life is Free)

Join a dog board for your breed and describe his behavior if you don't believe me.

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
When you look at the amount of attacks by a Pit Bull vs. any other breed, the total is undisputably high.

Actually, Pit Bull isn't a breed at all. It's a category, under which several breeds and mixes fall. So these statistics are actually grouping several breeds and mixes together.

And very often, dogs who have bitten or attacked people are reported as Pit Bulls, when they're not.

Spot the Pit Bull

There are 20+ breeds that are commonly incorrectly identified as pit bulls.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Good one BH. I especially liked the "spot the pit bull" I have to admit, it took me about 6 tries.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well I thought I coud spot a pit bull easy. Some of the breeds I knew and some I did not. I do believe that the earlier poster about Ghetto dog owners hit the nail on the head as it relates to the numbers of attacks by Pit bulls. The pit bull is a status symbol for some of the younger people and dog fighting is still popular. So guess what if one breed is used more than others for this sport then you have more members of this breed being taught to fight and be aggresive. So that should coralate with the higher incidents of so called pitbull attacks.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

And very often, dogs who have bitten or attacked people are reported as Pit Bulls, when they're not.

Spot the Pit Bull

There are 20+ breeds that are commonly incorrectly identified as pit bulls.

Of the 25 different dogs listed on the link, 10 of which show up on the list of numbers I gave for attacks. Leaving only 15 to be possibly linked to 104 deaths attributed to the 'Pit Bull'.

As the deaths recorded are for the US/Canada, some of the breeds on the link are not even present in North America and very small numbers if applicable.

whether it be an 'American Pit Bull' or of the Pit Bull 'category', you have to admit that 104 deaths & 1110 attacks is HIGH.

Of the 100+ dogs listed as attackers from 1982 -2006, the total for all dogs is 2209, of that the Pit Bull takes 1110 of them.

In regards to attacks causing death, the total number of the 100+ dogs mentioned, 264 total deaths, with the Pit Bull taking 104 of them for its category.

Sooo,

Some may read this as the Pit bull is acredited for almost half of the of the overall attacks and almost half of the total deaths out of 100+ different dogs, including 10 of which are sometimes mistaken for Pit Bulls.

I'm a somebody.

I am not saying all pits are bad, but I am saying you are more likely to get killed by one as opposed to another breed.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
That's not necessarily true. Some dogs are naturally quite vicious - it's their nature (don't forget that they're predators - they kill to survive).

Point taken. Look at Wolfs.

Its sad though, that some pople train their dogs to act that way, but I guess its not the majority that do it.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wolves are different because they're the natural dog, no breading.

All other dogs have been bred specifically to coexist with humans (minus foxes and coyotes and dingos etc) Dogs are bred to obey, and be submissive to the dominant member of the pack. It's the owner's who set the rules for role of the dog.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

If your dog growls at your wife when she's yelling at you, that means that your dog thinks that YOU belong to HIM and he's guarding you from your wife (to whom he also feels dominant). You're very fortunate that he's growling as that's a strong warning sign. Many dogs don't warn, they just act. One time when your wife bends over to get his bowl, he just may take that as a threat and let her have it.

I appreciate your concern and your input. He does know I am the Alpha male though and that all people come first. I even rolled him over on his back a few times and then bit his snout to show him who is who. He understands his position in the family. This is how dogs do it, so I did it too!

I get the feeling his problem is and this is true with a lot of aggresive dogs is that he is very territorial and over-protective.

I will take your advice though, thank you.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
How bout we ban bad owners, for that matter just ban humans. Humans kill more humans than dogs every will.

Dogs with bad owners, no mater the breed, will have bad dogs. The owner is the pack leader, he/she does as seen to get respect from the pack leader.

If my dog goes
Its not with out a fight, and im not talking about paper work.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by SpittinCobra]

[edit on 3-1-2007 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
Little One, I understand your sorrow. Your post was certainly worth a Way Above.

I too have a pit mix. He is a sad-eyed doll......most of the time. But there is still something there, a darkness in his personality. He IS different.

That is what is so frightening... it took 6 yrs of her being the 'sad eyed ol puppy dog' for her 'instant' to occur.

And it was vicious.

That was not my Meeka. They go a little wack or something, I dont know.

As I went towards my Baby (because of the way she got up, never got up like that before. Happened so god-awfully fast) and commanded Meeka down! (meaning feet and legs all flat and straight out, belly flat... she immediately snapped out of it. Immediately performed the command 'which saved my son from countless surgeries'.

She did the damage of an eye brow piercing. Exactly what it looked like. She chose not to rip because, and only because she was properly trained.

She even showed remorse as she looked at the baby. She knew she blew it. It was done. She freaked her own self out. That look in her eyes, the one that was NOT the being I knew and loved.

This one instant occured after 6 year, 4 kids... 2,190 days together with her known as being a big ol puss. Never displayed aggressive behavior as a pup. She just 'snapped'. May have been something as simple as we woke her from a dream. How knows?

What I do know though is I appreciate people with the mentality to understand pits, breeds, snap.

Even when raised, trained and tame... properly with the knowledge of what properly means. And with the owner implementing proper socialization with both humans of all ages and animals.

Pits dont need to 'be' mean. Their look is certainly enough. I wouldnt mess with one sitting quietly in a car any moreso than one barking and salivating out the window at me. The look is pleeeenty sufficient.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

All other dogs have been bred specifically to coexist with humans (minus foxes and coyotes and dingos etc) Dogs are bred to obey, and be submissive to the dominant member of the pack. It's the owner's who set the rules for role of the dog.

What I found interesting about the study I linked to, was that Wolf-Hybrids accounted for 71 attacks, with a death rate of only 3.

This could be due to the somewhat obscurity of owning a wolf/wolf hybrid as a pet, but I would have thought the numbers to be higher.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Even more so, all dog expect dingos, and the other natural dogs, where breed from the wolf. The wolf is the perfect dog, all other take traits from the wolf.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I think bans on dogs should be based on the type of area. People who live in apartments in big cities are not allowed to keep horses. Similarly, people should not be allowed to keep certain breeds depending on whether they live in an urban, suburban, or rural environment and whether the dog will be living in a commerical area or a residential area where children may be present.

Most breeds of dogs should not be cooped up in an apartment, so the types of dogs urban dwellers should be allowed to keep should be limited to small dogs. Some dogs will be happy if they are allowed to run around in a small yard, so suburban people who have yards should be allowed more lattitude in dog ownership. Finally, virtually all dogs will be happy if they are allowed to run around large areas, so rural people with large plots of land should have the widest lattitude.

People who live in residential areas where children are present should not be allowed to have vicious or dangerous breeds, like the pitbull. People who want guard dogs to protect their property in non-residential industrial areas should be allowed to have such dogs.

posted on Jan, 5 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This is their Earth as much as it is Ours. There has Been some recent news : War in Iraq leaves hundreds of thousands dead. Was thinking We should ban Humans

[edit on 5-1-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Ok playaz, listen up, this is a golden rule to always remember, animals are animals ,....no matter how cute, nice, etc they are, no matter the history,, remember, anything with a mouth can bite......the right thing to do is always properly train the animal, and be RESPONSIBLE, watch it at all times, never leave it in a situation where it can cause harm, even if you would bet your life that it wouldn't. An animal is an animal, get used to that. Be responsible and it shouldn't give you problems. Banning a specific breed of dog is a dumb, unreasonable, not very thought of idea, ...anything it does is an animalistic instinct, and is usually caused by SOMETHING, what that something is, you better find out before its too late.

Btw, I wanna get a German Shepherd puppy, too, they're AWESOME!

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Even more so, all dog expect dingos, and the other natural dogs, where breed from the wolf. The wolf is the perfect dog, all other take traits from the wolf.

Dingoes are not believed to be natural, but offspring of early domesticated dogs. They certainly are not native to Australia, but were brought there by humans a few thousand years ago.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I like dogs. I like guns.

If a moron improperly keeps his guns around his moron family sombidy will get shot. Its not the guns fault its surrounded by morons.

Same for dogs.

People need to stop trying to ban their lives into some artificial safety and invest a portion of their "ban, ban, ban" energy into learning and training.

Youd see a dramatic drop off in moron related deaths and a substantial gain in individual liberty.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Pitbulls should be regulated like handguns.There is no doubt they are dangerous.

posted on Mar, 6 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by rdang
Pitbulls should be regulated like handguns.There is no doubt they are dangerous.

I doubt that they are dangerous. So, I guess there is some doubt that they are dangerous.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It's ironic that I would find this thread today as until this morning I was the proud owner of what people would call a pit bull.He was actually an American Bull dog, no terrier involved. He was the best damn dog ever and never so much as growled at any of my kids or our three cats. Unfortunately, he was old and had been ill for sometime and it was for the best that he be put down and I can't stop crying as I am writing this. Raydar wherever you are buddy I hope it's a happy place with big fields of flowers for you to run through and huge bowls of bacon treats everywhere. See ya on the flip side ole boy.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
someone is killed most every week by PIT BULLS

you will have sympathizers say don't ban them because then they will have to ban other breeds that Pit Bulls tend to be mix with, since Pit Bulls aren't a type breed they are a fighting type.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join