It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Exclusive Online Chat with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
The members of sportztawk.com and sportznewz.com is proud to give you another live online chat with British Lightweight 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips.

The chat took place in the sportztawk chat room at 9pm GMT on the 30th January 2005.

TRD Rynaldo82 asks - When boxing in the ring, how much of a influence is the fans, do you find them cheering you on gives you that extra bit of drive and determination to win?

DynamiteDeanPhillips Of course, When in the ring fighting, you can't specifically here any one person in the crowd because you are so fired up for the fight. However, you do appreciate what the crowd generally thinks of the fight by the level of noise they make. And that definitely fires you up more for the fight. But for the most part, you are so focused on the fight you dont hear the crowd. Next question

ProudAmerican I was wondering if you had any superstitions or rituals for fight day? Maybe a certain meal or lucky socks or something along those lines?

DynamiteDeanPhillips mmm..a lot of fighters are supersitious about stuff like that. For example, a lot of fighters insist on wearing the same shorts for each one of their fights. However I personally do not have any rituals as such, other than following the same meal pattern, and taping my hands up the exact same way,but those aren't rituals as such, they are just my way of doing things that I am used to. I know of one boxer, who i wont name who used to insist on laying down in a freezing cold bath of water for half hour prior to a fight....each to our own!!lol Next question

ktprktpr I always wondered why higher ranked fighters would fight lower ranked fighters? There seems to be no advantage; if they win, then gain little and if they lose they lose it all. Case in point is Gary Hibbert, whom you beat.

DynamiteDeanPhillips The promoters match their guys with lower ranked fighters in order to keep them busy. For the most part, the higher ranked is expected to win and it is just another payday to him, while keeping busy sharpening his skills for a bigger fight. However, in my case against Hibbert I had other ideas. I was the red herring of the division and nobody knew what I had left, so it was a gamble on hibbert's part, as it was a gamble for me, but a gamble which paid off for me. Hibbert retired after our fight. Next question

kursk In boxing there is a big danger of brain damage, do you worry about the danger of repeated blows to the head?

DynamiteDeanPhillips Not really. I do not worry. Hey, I went back to college and got a degree, so there has obviously been no damage done to my brain! We all know the risks of the sport, but while there are risks for boxers, there are also risks for most other sportspeople. Racing drivers, horse racing, even soccer (heading the ball can damage the brain too). Boxing is quite low on the list of risk sports actually and us boxers are trained to absorb blows to the head. Next question

toejam Any news on your upcoming fight?

DynamiteDeanPhillips No definite news yet, but I have been told it is towards the end of february and it will be in Wales. I am training towards an end of february date. However, no opponent named as yet, and I do not know the number of rounds I will be fighting or whether or not it will be for a title yet. All should become clear in the next week or so. Next question

Ben How do you get along with other boxers oustide the ring, is there alot of tension between you all or is it a good atmosphere?

DynamiteDeanPhillips At the gym where I train in Merthyr, there is a really good atmosphere among the lads. I think that is detrimental to success. They are like your teammates and it is nice to have their support when you are fighting as it is nice to support them also when it is their turn. With regard to my competitors, there is no tension at all. At the end of the day it is a business, and once outside the roped, we are the best of friends. Next question

ProudAmerican Is there a particular song that you like to enter the ring to or is it generally just whatever the venue chooses?

DynamiteDeanPhillips No, I actually get a fan to choose my ring entrance tune for me. last time out I had "You can do it (put your back into it)" Obviously I have the last say as to what song I end up with, but I let the fans choose my ring entrance tune.

ktprktpr thanks. Since a lot of fights run under different scoring systems (decided by the judges), would you say there were some regional discrepancies in rankings across the U.K.? If this is the case, would you support a national unified UK judging system?

DynamiteDeanPhillips I would definitely support a centralised judging system in the uk. there is quite blantantly a lot of biased decisions going on, its plain to see. It is bad for the sport and having a new scoring system can only be a good thing. Next question

poonchang Boxing (in the U.S.) does not seem to enjoy the glory that it has enjoyed in the past. How do you think boxing can restore its past glory?

DynamiteDeanPhillips I mean, that is a matter of opinion. I am not sure how it is in the US, but here in the UK boxing is still a very healthy sport. however, football over here is the number one sport and boxing is nowhere near as popular as that. I expect it is the same over there? Football taking first spot?

poonchang Yes, football

DynamiteDeanPhillips At the end of the day it is what the public want. They prefer to watch a baseball game rather than a boxing match, and they are the deciding factor at the end of the day. or a football game!!lol Next Question

toejam In the us there has been talk of a national boxing commision to protect the fighters. Is there such a thing in the uk, and would you be in favor ot this?

DynamiteDeanPhillips I think there is basic insurance from the BBBofC for a fighter, and I think they do a sort of pension like thing that we have the option of taking out, I could be wrong though, so don't quote me on it. But yes, it is a good idea. However for me, my insurance is my other career, i know that boxing is a short lived sport, and I have a trade to fall back on when I get out or if boxing screws up for me. Next question

TRD John Nada asks - It seems many spectators have becomes very apathetic of the sport and when a big fight is on instantly wonder whether the fix is likely in or whether it's a complete mis-match. Are the days of Muhammad Ali Vs George Foreman e.t.c. over in your opinion?

DynamiteDeanPhillips We still get the good fights, however you are right. There are too many political matters involved in this sport, and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. It all depends on the promoter who is putting the fight on, as some are more iffy than others with regard to mismatches etc. Next question

ProudAmerican Over here in the States lately there have been alot of incidents of athletes using illegal steroids and/or performance-enhancing drugs. Are these substances generally banned in boxing as well? Do you think there is alot of illegal steroid/drug use in boxing?

DynamiteDeanPhillips For title fights, boxers are routinely tested for substances. For example, before my last fight, I was tested immediately before the fight. I am not aware of anything like that going on here in the uk, and I think the BBBofC (British Boxing Board of Control) are good on stamping. That kind of thing out. however it could be totally different in the US or other countries. Next Question

Ben How does it affect your everyday life bing a pro boxer?

DynamiteDeanPhillips Boxing is a way of life for me. boxing dictates the kind of lifestlye I lead, the foods that I eat, the fluids that I drink, the amount of rest that I get. So it basically dictates the way I live. It's all about making sacrifices if you want to succeed in this sport. Next question

poonchang The few boxers I've met have been tremendous atheletes, they excelled in many sports. What other sports do enjoy or consider yourself good at?

DynamiteDeanPhillips I used to like playing rugby as a kid, but was too small to be any good at it. I can run good, both long distance and medium distance, like 800 metres or 400 metres. i was in the school cross country team for example. Before boxing I won a junior world title in full contact kickboxing, and before that won many national titles in karate. I was also in the national amateur boxing team! Next question

ktprktpr My pleasure. When a boxer trains, they aim to peak physically on the fight date. But if that date gets changed, like in the case of your fight with Kevin Bennet, how does a boxer alter their training so they can re-peak at the next date?

DynamiteDeanPhillips If that happens, like it did me, you have to hold back. And that is not easy when you are in full swing training. You have to take rest days to recharge your batteries and come back strong again. Next question

toejam Wouldn't it be better if we went back to the old system of 1 champ per weight division, with all the sanctioning bodies it gets very confusing for the casual fan.

DynamiteDeanPhillips For the fan it seems a very feasible way to do things, one champion per weight. But for the boxers this is not so good. Fighters need titles to earn a living, and the promoters know this. That is why they keep introducing new titles. While this may seem like not such a good thing, it gives the sport variety and the boxers more options and chances of making it, I prefer how it is now to when there was one champ per weight. Its all down to politics at the end of the day!! Next question

ProudAmerican How influential is a trainer on his boxer's success in the ring? Obviously you are the one in the ring fighting but how important is a good trainer?

DynamiteDeanPhillips A good trainer is important. They can be really good motivators, and motivation can do you the power of good on the day of the fight. For myself, I have a few people helping out with the training side. I have a conditioning trainer, and someone who sorts out my sparring. I also bring someone else in for padwork. So it is a team effort. Next question

poonchang I'm so happy you went back to school. I am about to attain a degree as a "nontraditional student" and I know it's not easy. Why did you do it? Where do you draw your inspiration from to do the things you do?

DynamiteDeanPhillips I have always liked computing, like programming and design work, so decided to do something with my talent and went back to get a qualification in it (software engineering) it got me a good job too, as I now work part time for the local college developing interactive learning materials for students d lecturers, so its another career now and one that I go on and do more things in later..Next question

ktprktpr thanks. Barring any serious injuries, where do you see yourself in a year?

DynamiteDeanPhillips I see myself holding a major title this time next year. That is all I am aiming for now, and you will definitely see me relising my potential this year. thanks guys, it has been great being here. and hope to do it again.

Again we would like to thank 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips for taking the time out to do the live chat. Stay tuned for the latest on Dean and his upcomming fight/news.

About 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

'Dynamite' Dean Phillips Profile

1st online chat with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

Interview with 'Dynamite' Dean Phillips

Where to find dean on the web

'Dynamite' Dean Phillips.com

Sportztawk.com

For tickets and fight news

Ticket Booking - Fight News Link

Copyright www.sportztawk.com, sportznewz.com 2005

[Edited on 31/1/05 by TRD]

[Edited on 9/2/05 by TRD]

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
great stuff guys on the interview. and thanks dean for taking part again and asnwering questions

and since when did i become ryanldo28

TRD

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Fixed...

Yeah it did go very well, some tough questions this time around aswell.

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

DynamiteDeanPhillips No definite news yet, but I have been told it is towards the end of february and it will be in Wales. I am training towards an end of february date. However, no opponent named as yet, and I do not know the number of rounds I will be fighting or whether or not it will be for a title yet. All should become clear in the next week or so. Next question

Dean, I'm curious how this could be, a potential fight in a month, but you don't know much about it? That must be frustrating?

Also, have you ever met Don King?

TRD

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Gibbs, a bit late for the party you could have asked that in the chat.

I'm sure Dean will pop on a give you a reply...

posted on Jan, 30 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Gibbs, a bit late for the party you could have asked that in the chat.

Sorry, don't have a laptop or internet connection in my truck

[Edited on 1/30/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Dean, I'm curious how this could be, a potential fight in a month, but you don't know much about it? That must be frustrating?

Also, have you ever met Don King?

Well, it isn't down to me. It is down to my promoters. I am awaiting them to give me the details. In the meantime I have to keep training and getting myself ready both physically and mentally.

I haven't met Don King, but he has seen at least one of my fights that I know of, as he was sat ringside for that one (against Colin McMillan in 1995). You can't miss him!

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Wow! Great interview guys, sorry I missed it.

Dean seems like a really nice guy. It was nice of him to take the time and answer everyone's questions.

Here are Dean's stats, including his past fights.

www.boxrec.com...

Sir

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I read it and was impressed. Very good questions.

I would like to add to this if its ok..

DynamiteDeanPhillips Boxing is a way of life for me. boxing dictates the kind of lifestlye I lead, the foods that I eat, the fluids that I drink, the amount of rest that I get. So it basically dictates the way I live. It's all about making sacrifices if you want to succeed in this sport. Next question

Do you get to have a social life? Do you get to go out drinking or is that a no-go due to training?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sir
I read it and was impressed. Very good questions.

I would like to add to this if its ok..

Do you get to have a social life? Do you get to go out drinking or is that a no-go due to training?

Alcohol is definitely a big NO during training. Also I stay well away from the pub/club scene when in training. Like I said, it's a sacrifice. I get to go out and unwind after a fight though...got to have some sort of balance at some point.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Hey, thanks for taking the time to do this Dean, I've learned a lot about boxing through these interviews.

TRD

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   

DynamiteDeanPhillips Of course, When in the ring fighting, you can't specifically here any one person in the crowd because you are so fired up for the fight. However, you do appreciate what the crowd generally thinks of the fight by the level of noise they make. And that definitely fires you up more for the fight. But for the most part, you are so focused on the fight you dont hear the crowd. Next question

Dean have you ever been booed? If so did this just spur you on? It happens alot at football matches and it does affect the players. Just wondered if it was the same for Boxing.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD

Dean have you ever been booed? If so did this just spur you on? It happens alot at football matches and it does affect the players. Just wondered if it was the same for Boxing.

I have never been jeered by any supporters. I was kind of expecting to be jeered in my last fight up in Hartlepool, as the fans up there were very loyal to my opponent, but they gave me a warm applause both entering the ring, and leaving it. Obviously they were rooting for their guy to win, but they were generally receptive of me. So, I have never had it done to me, although I am sure if I did, it would spur me on. To be honest, that kind of thing wouldn't affect me much, as like I Said before, I am so focused on the fight and my opponent, that the crowd is irrelevant.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
are you currently attending school? i know you have talked about being in college, i wasnt positive if you were in classes as of now. What do you do when their is a scheduled fight around the time you are in school? And what do you do about training as well?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
are you currently attending school? i know you have talked about being in college, i wasnt positive if you were in classes as of now. What do you do when their is a scheduled fight around the time you are in school? And what do you do about training as well?

I finished school in 2002, however I am now working for a college, developing interactive learning materials and web content. They have been kind enough to let me fit my working hours around my boxing career, and I can also work from wherever I want. That is usually at home. So, I have no problem finding time to train or to fight.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
whats it like being a professional althete?

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by freak29
whats it like being a professional althete?

It has its advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is the tough lifestyle you need to live in order to achieve success - the sacrifices you need to make. As a profesional athlete, you can't live like everyone else - you can't go to a restaurant and order a chicken tikka masala for example, you can't go out for a good pissup either. Advantages are a healthy mind and body, popularity - its always good to get noticed by the general public, there are loads more, but you get the idea.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Getting a bit personal, do you have any time in your busy schedule for any romance? ie wife girlfriend? Also does being a boxer help you pull the chicks lol!

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak
Getting a bit personal, do you have any time in your busy schedule for any romance? ie wife girlfriend? Also does being a boxer help you pull the chicks lol!

Being a sportsperson, you do get female attention. However, I am in a steady relationship now and I am devoted to her.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DynamiteDeanPhillips

Originally posted by Speedfreak

Being a sportsperson, you do get female attention. However, I am in a steady relationship now and I am devoted to her.

Well, can you send the spares our direction?

[Edited on 2/11/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join