It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Jets - Hackett resigns under rising pressure

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
New York Jets offensive coordinator Paul Hackett resigned Wednesday, ending a four-year stint marred by criticism for his conservative play-calling. The move was expected after the Jets' 20-17 overtime loss to Pittsburgh in the second round of the playoffs Saturday.

Jets head coach Herman Edwards "and I agreed that the time was right to move in another direction," Hackett said in a statement. "There are other opportunities that I would like to explore. I leave knowing that I've worked extremely hard and had a hand in the organization's recent success."

The Jets showed little imagination in their version of the West Coast offense, ranking 17th in the NFL in scoring this season even though Curtis Martin led the league in rushing with 1,697 yards. Chad Pennington threw for 2,673 yards and only 16 touchdowns, while the Jets ranked 22nd in passing yards and managed 51 points in the first quarter during the regular season.

Once Pennington returned from a strained right rotator cuff in December, Hackett went even more conservative. The tight ends were virtually invisible in the offense, and playmaker Santana Moss was hardly used after a breakout 1,000-yard season. Perhaps most upsetting to team officials was the lack of offensive scoring in four games against Pittsburgh and New England, where they managed a total of two touchdowns.

Hackett joined the Jets after serving as head coach at Southern California from 1998-00. He was also head coach at Pittsburgh before taking over as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach in Kansas City from 1993-97.

Among those thought to be candidates to replace Hackett are Chiefs QBs coach Jason Verduzco and Saints offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy, whose contract is up.

Associated Press

new topics

join