It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BASKETBALL: Coach K to the lakers?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - The Los Angeles Lakers are in "serious discussions" with Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski about their coaching vacancy.

Krzyzewski, a Hall of Fame coach, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school. He informed school officials that the Lakers had contacted him about the job, Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said Thursday.

Krzyzewski was not available for comment, the school said. A message left with Lakers spokesman John Black was not immediately returned.

Alleva said he and Duke president Richard Brodhead recently had dinner with Krzyzewski and told the coach they wanted him to finish his career at Duke.

"We have long believed that Mike is the best coach in the country," Alleva said in the statement. "The Lakers' interest in him merely confirms what we have known."

Krzyzewski has compiled a 621-179 record in 24 seasons at Duke, leading the Blue Devils to NCAA championships in 1991, 1992 and 2001. Under Krzyzewski, the Blue Devils have 10 Final Four appearances, eight Atlantic Coast Conference tournament championships and 10 conference regular-season titles.

His Duke teams have been ranked No. 1 in 12 different seasons, including each of the last seven years.

[Edited on 2/7/04 by TRD]

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
See that wouldn't work in my opinion. That's like Mike Montgomery going to the Warriors. Big mistake.

I hope the Lakers get Rudy T.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Yeah, I can't see this working out if he does go. I just can't imagine him anywhere but Duke.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
On the other hand, now that I think about it more, since I'm a big North Carolina Tar Heels' fan, that would hurt Duke so maybe I would like Coach K to go to the Lakers.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder
On the other hand, now that I think about it more, since I'm a big North Carolina Tar Heels' fan, that would hurt Duke so maybe I would like Coach K to go to the Lakers.

I'd like him to go to LA for the same reason, but I dont really think he's be a good fit in LA.

Ben

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I would like to think that the Lakers are going to go with Rudy T, but the lakers are going to go through a whole processes of finding the right person to lead this team into the future, and they are going to interviews many candiates for this position, but in the end its going to be either Rudy T, or somebody currently in the laker organization.

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Rudy would be the best fit. Who do you think in the organization would it be?

posted on Jul, 1 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think Rudy T is the right fit for the Laker job. I think you need someone with alot of coaching experience that knows how to deal with all of the egos in LA.

I thought Houston made a mistake letting him go for Van Gundy, even though he had a health issue at the time.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
[Edited on 07/02/2004 by Fox Mulder]

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Not sure what happened to the original thread, but this is the big story right now so here's a new one.

Do you think Kupckak can lure Coach K to come to LA and coach the Lakers?

Do you think this will have an impact on Kobe and/or Shaq's future?

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski met with Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak on Thursday and was in "serious discussions" with the team about its coaching vacancy.

Krzyzewski, a 57-year-old Hall of Famer, has led the Blue Devils to three national championships in almost a quarter-century at the school.

"Coach K has informed us that the Los Angeles Lakers have contacted him and entered into serious discussions to fill their vacant head coaching position," Duke athletic director Joe Alleva said.

www.sportsline.com...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudAmerican
Not sure what happened to the original thread, but this is the big story right now so here's a new one.

Do you think Kupckak can lure Coach K to come to LA and coach the Lakers?

I think he can with enough money. Coach K could always come back to college if it doesn't work out in LA. And Coach K also sees that it's getting harder and harder for any college coach to maintain a college program when you lose guys early like Luol Deng and one time recruit Shaun Livingston to the NBA.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Mulder
And Coach K also sees that it's getting harder and harder for any college coach to maintain a college program when you lose guys early like Luol Deng and one time recruit Shaun Livingston to the NBA.

No doubt. He has had plenty of players leave after a year or two for the NBA but this year his top recruit skipped on him and entered the NBA draft. I could see how that would anger him after all the time and energy he spent on recruiting that kid. He's most likely a bit frustrated and when Mitch starts chucking the number$ at him, I think he might make the move.

He's going to get a ton of resistance not just from the university, but from the Duke students and fans. They've already started gathering in protest down there, Coach K is like a god down there to Duke fans.

It's going to be a tough decision for him no doubt.

Ben

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Like you guys said, its getting very hard in the college ranks. With all these prospect jumping straight to the NBA and the kids in the NCAA are leaving early to jump to the NBA, what does this leave the NCAA, nobody really is going to stay the 4 straight years if they are half way decent. They are going to want to jump to the NBA and get that money.

What Coach K has done is brilliant, and if he moves to LA he could turn this team around with his vision of gathering players based on their talent.

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 04:19 PM
link   
It just sucks that coaches dont' stay as long as they used to. Makes me appreciate JoePa even more...

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
It just sucks that coaches dont' stay as long as they used to. Makes me appreciate JoePa even more...

They're just like the players anymore, just following the money. I guess you can't blame them, it is a business. I know if a competitor of my company called me and offered me twice my salary, as loyal as I am, money talk$. Then again, if you're already making over a mill a year, what's a few more?

posted on Jul, 2 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
With Coach K, it is a bit different, because he is also getting a chance to coach NBA ball, instead of just NCAA. It isn't just the cash. Its the opportunity to show your stuff at the highest level in the world.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   
It'll be a big adjustment from his cozy little North Carolina campus to the spotlights of Los Angeles.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The thing is, money isn't everything. And like PA said, if you are already making a couple million a year, what difference does it make if you are making more? How much does one person need?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Well, if he needs 40 million over the next five years then Los Angeles is the place to go. Thats what it said on TSN today.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Then again ...

With the Lakers he would never be able to replace former nemesis Dean Smith, or perhaps Bob Knight (another former nemesis), as the all-time victory leader in college basketball.

With the Lakers he would lose his place as the king of his sport to become just another guy who will, sooner or later, be replaced.

With the Lakers, he would no longer be the most important -- or highest-paid -- person in his own locker room.

Until he makes his decision, Krzyzewski will ask himself a number of questions. Here's one he might also want to ponder:

What is Steve Spurrier doing these days, anyway?

full story - CBS

top topics

<<   2 >>

join