It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Super Bowl streaker goes to trial

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
HOUSTON (AP) - It's time for the courts to get to the naked truth about the Super Bowl streaker. Mark Francis Roberts, 39, went to trial Monday on a single misdemeanor trespass charge for his post-halftime jaunt onto the Reliant Stadium playing field Feb. 1 as the second half of the game was about to start.

"I'm going to tell you this will really be a fun case," Harris County Court-at-Law Judge Diane Bull told 30 prospective jurors before they heard some details about the Brit's scantily clad adventure in his first trip to Texas. Jury selection was punctuated by several chuckles and guffaws as lawyers whittled the panel down to six women who were to begin hearing testimony later Monday.

Roberts, who galloped onto the field in a faux referee's costume then stripped to a football-shaped codpiece before dancing a jig, is not charged with anything besides criminal trespassing. He faces up to six months in jail and up to a $2,000 fine if convicted.

The better-known halftime incident occurred during the musical shown when singer Janet Jackson's right breast was exposed on worldwide television. Most of the packed stadium didn't notice that, but they did get an eyeful of Roberts as he strutted for nearly a minute before getting tackled by New England Patriots linebacker Matt Chatham and arrested by Houston police.

The Internet gaming company that sponsored Roberts' performance carries images on its Web site and Roberts does the same on his own Internet page, www.thestreaker.org.uk. Roberts and defense lawyer Sharon Levine, who works for famed attorney Richard ``Racehorse'' Haynes, argue no one told Roberts he was not allowed on the field and that a knee-high barrier in front of his front-row seat was no indication he shouldn't advance.

"There is no fencing to exclude intruders," Levine said during opening statements.

Prosecutor Kristin Guiney countered that while the NFL and Reliant Stadium had no signs or warnings on ticket stubs, the barrier and the sizable drop to the field made it obvious under the law.

"He had notice by virtue of that 6[-foot wall (around the field) that his conduct and his presence on the field were forbidden," Guiney said.

Police said Roberts got into the Super Bowl and through several layers of security with a legitimate ticket. He wore a ref's uniform under civilian clothes, and both outfits were held together with Velcro to allow for a quick strip. According to his site, Roberts has streaked more than 300 times. His Super Bowl moment, which Guiney called his 'Holy Grail' of streaking was his first North American performance.

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I think this guy's hilarious, I hope he gets free (as a bird)

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I have no problem with this guy, streaking has been around a long time, and it's funny. I think they should charge J Jackson and that Back Street Boy for that obvious publicity stunt. I found that more offensive.

Ben

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
awh man, why does he have to goto jail?

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I don't think that's decided just yet.

But his defense of saying he didn't know that he was allowed on the field is ludicris.

It's a travesty, a sham, a mockery, it's...

posted on Jun, 21 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

It's a travesty, a sham, a mockery, it's...

it's... it's... it's... Naked people running across the field, if it were a beautiful blonde woman running across the field, she wouldn't have gotten anything (and rightfully so). give the guy some community service and worry about more important things like the guy that's beating his kids and wife, or the guy that's robbed 15 7-11's at gun point. get out of our court system with trivial things like this.

TRD

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
HOUSTON(AP) -- Mark Francis Roberts learned the naked truth about Texas justice Monday.

Roberts, 39, was found guilty of misdemeanor trespassing for his on-field streak during the Super Bowl on Feb. 1, as a six-woman jury turned aside his lawyer's contention he didn't receive proper notice he wasn't allowed on the field.

"The whole reason I did it was to entertain people, America," said Roberts, a Brit who has pulled similar stunts abroad more than 300 times but incurred his first conviction with his first U.S. streak. "If making people laugh is a criminal offense, I should be sentenced to prison for life."

Fortunately for Roberts, who lives in Liverpool, England, the Class B misdemeanor carries a maximum sentence of six months in jail and up to a $2,000 fine. The jury, which took an hour to deliberate, will return Tuesday to consider punishment arguments.

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
HOUSTON (AP) — Mark Francis Roberts learned the naked truth about Texas justice.

Roberts, 39, was found guilty of misdemeanor trespassing and fined $1,000 Tuesday but avoided any jail time for his on-field streak during the Super Bowl on Feb. 1.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Thats stupid, he shouldn't have to. People streak football games in England all the time, I saw it on Real TV

TRD

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Yeah they use to but now it's a criminal offense to go on the pitch let alone streak. But they have done it in other sports in the UK....Snooker, Cricket, Rugby even Horse Racing lol!

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So basically, it's sterile.
BTW, why isn't JJ and that other guy charged?

Ben

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
still to pay 1,000 is kindof ridiculous, he didnt cause any harm. Just a few laughs.

top topics

join