It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Hatton set for Spadafora

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Ricky Hatton's promoter Frank Warren says he is close to bringing former IBF lightweight champion Paul Spadafora to Manchester in October.

Hatton must first defend his WBU light welterweight crown against Argentine Carlos Wilfredo Vilchez on Saturday.

But the "Hitman" would relish the opportunity of meeting a world-class fighter like the unbeaten Spadafora.

He said: "I like to think I've made my name in Britain now and the next stage is to become a big hit in the USA.

"In the next six months hopefully I will be fighting some really big American names and Spadafora is certainly a step in the right direction."

I've seen other fighters come unstuck before so I am not going to take anything for granted - Ricky Hatton

Hatton's plans are not expected to be derailed by Vilches on Saturday night.

Vilches stepped in to replace his compatriot Antonio Mesquita on a show which was also to have featured Joe Calzaghe's IBF light heavyweight title challenge until the Welshman's withdrawal through injury.

But Hatton is refusing to look too far ahead as he prepares for his 13th defence of his lightly-regarded belt.

"I've seen a few tapes of Vilches and he looks like a good all-rounder who can mix it up a bit.

"I've seen other fighters come unstuck before so I guarantee I am not going to take anything for granted."

Story from BBC SPORT:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Published: 2004/06/10 16:19:28 GMT

© BBC MMIV

join