It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OLYMPICS: USA may pull out of the Olympics

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Olympic legend Mark Spitz believes security concerns may see the United States withdraw from the Athens Games.
Spitz, who won seven swimming golds in 1972, says heightened terrorist fears may prompt drastic action from the US.

"I would say that about six months ago it was highly unlikely," Spitz told BBC Five Live.

"But each day it becomes more probable than not that ongoing conversations will take place as to how important it is to put athletes in harms way."

A spokesman for the US Olympic Committee said: "Today there is absolutely no consideration given to the notion our team will not be in Athens."

Would it be political suicide to send a team there if you were the Bush administration?

But Spitz believes that any US decision to pull out of the Games will come at a late stage, and could trigger a "snowball effect" as other countries follow suit.

"We are looking under the microscope at all the different terrorist acts and we know there is a high degree of probability that something could happen in Athens," he said.

"Would it be political suicide to send a team there if you were the Bush administration?

"If you were to yank the carpet out from under the American team and nothing happened, would that be because they are only after Americans?

"If that does happen it will happen in the 11th hour and 59th minute."

Source BBC News

[Edited on 27/4/04 by TRD]

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
That would be huge. I think terroist organizations that are targeting the US would declare it as a victory.

Look the US is hiding with its tail between its legs.

I am 50/50 on this. I fear for the safety of the athletes, but I also don't think hiding would be correct either.

Ben

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Im 50/50 also with you crayon.

The US shouldnt look scared at this situation but then again you look at the safety issue and thats the biggest part. Who knows what will happen.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
it's really a no win situation there, if they go people will criticize about the safety of the atheletes whether anything happens or not. if they don't go, well as before mentioned it looks like we're hiding with our tail between our legs. about the only way to not get as much criticizm is to just send a couple platoons of Marines and go 3 or 4 per athelete but that's hardly feasible. maybe new york should just buy the olympics from Athens like they do with all the baseball players from all the other teams.

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I'd like to say that I'm 50/50, but I guess I'm really not. We cannot let terrorists run our lives. Period. Therefore, as a nation, we can't pull out of the games.

But, what about the safety of the athletes? They should be well informed, thoroughly informed, on the dangers, real or threatened, that they will face. They have the choice to make, and no one should be blamed if anything does or does not happen.

TRD

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
It's a tough one to call as everyone has said. But if they did pull out i guess they won't be the only ones. If the games went ahead with all the nations competing and something was to happen would all the countries unite? Could it or would it start a World War III?

Ben

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Shouldn't the althetes be the ones to desided whether or not they wanna go? Not the nation.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
Shouldn't the althetes be the ones to desided whether or not they wanna go? Not the nation.

I think that since they represent the US, their security is the responsibillity of our government (i could be wrong on this). in the 1980 olympics our atheletes were pulled by the government because of, correct me if i'm wrong, the soviet unions involment in afghanistan, so our government can pull our atheletes out. I say send them all to Marine Force Recon school and give em all M16's and .40 cal glocks and let the terrorists mess with them. i'd put up for pay per view for that.

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben

My point exactly. the responsibility for the safety of athletes is ultimately that of the host country.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
We cannot let terrorists run our lives. Period. Therefore, as a nation, we can't pull out of the games.

i agree i mean what are we just never gonna be in teh olympics again just cuz theres a chance something could happen. I mean thats like never driving a car because ur scared u could die in an accident. Just send em over, and there should be much emphasis on protection, etc.

Ben

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
WE SHOULD NOT LIVE IN FEAR, isnt that the USA goal's so lets live it without these people trying to ruin our lives.

posted on Apr, 29 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
WE SHOULD NOT LIVE IN FEAR, isnt that the USA goal's so lets live it without these people trying to ruin our lives.

Amen.

top topics

join