It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: BOXING: Emenogu tests positive for banned diuretic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Associated Press
LAGOS, Nigeria -- Africa's super lightweight champion was ruled ineligible for the Athens Olympics after failing a drug test.

Davidson Emenogu, one of Nigeria's best hopes for a medal at the Summer Games, tested positive to the banned diuretic furosemide, Tony Nezianya, spokesman of the Nigerian Olympic Committee, told The Associated Press.

Nezianya did not give details of when or where the test was conducted.

Emenogu was the gold medalist at the All-Africa Games in Nigeria in October.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:07 AM
link   
This does not surprise me,they are really clamping down on this drug taking and these kind of reports will just keep happening more and more.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Speedfreak
This does not surprise me,they are really clamping down on this drug taking and these kind of reports will just keep happening more and more.

I think its great they are taking the drug problem seriously. Maybe these athletes will learn their lesson.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Yes i agree,but how many have they not caught yet? Boxers need to get off the stuff quick before it ruins the sport.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Yes i agree,but how many have they not caught yet? Boxers need to get off the stuff quick before it ruins the sport.

I dont think all boxers are on the "juice", but maybe a couple of them are. And since Boxing has been in a steady decline the past couple years the last thing it needs is these type of scandals.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yep just as things seemed on the up a bit due to the new exciting young fighters coming through,these drug taking story's come out.

Well i hope he gets banned from the pro sport as well as the olympics.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Yep just as things seemed on the up a bit due to the new exciting young fighters coming through,these drug taking story's come out.

Well i hope he gets banned from the pro sport as well as the olympics.

SO True. Fighters caught "juicing" should face some serious repercussions. Most of them just get a fine and thats it.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Well a ban would be the only choice,take away from them what they love to do,they will soon stop doing it.

Some sports are too soft with there punishments,i wonder why?

I really wonder sometines if they know people are doing it and they just use one as a scapegoat every now and then just to keep everyone happy.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   

I really wonder sometines if they know people are doing it and they just use one as a scapegoat every now and then just to keep everyone happy.

The problem is that some states dont test for steroids, and in many of them if they do test they do so after the fights... not before.

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Ahh i see i didn't know that some states would turn a blind eye to it as they don't do drug testing..

Thats a big problem they should do the test's,it would be interesting to see if there are more big fights in these area's than there are for the areas that do testing.

TRD

posted on Mar, 13 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Why do they not do the testing? I thought it would have made sense for everyone to do it..

That would be interesting if the states that doesn't have testing held most of the big fights..

top topics

join