It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Vinny may retire

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Jets quarterback Vinny Testaverde is considering retirement. In a statement released through the team Thursday, Testaverde said he told coach Herman Edwards and general manager Terry Bradway that he will not participate in offseason workouts with the Jets.

"In an effort to figure out what is best for my family, myself and the New York Jets ... I will not be participating in the offseason program," Testaverde said. "I am considering, unless something changes, bringing an end to my professional playing career."

The New York Daily News reported earlier Thursday that the 40-year-old veteran would be released after June 1 to lessen the salary cap hit the team takes, citing an unidentified NFL source.

Testaverde lost his starting job to Pennington early in the 2002 season, and Pennington led the Jets from a 2-5 start into the playoffs. When Pennington broke his wrist last summer, Testaverde took over and went 2-5 as a starter before Pennington returned.
In 2001, the first year under Edwards, Testaverde led the Jets to a 10-6 record and a wild-card playoff berth. Last season, Testaverde became the ninth quarterback in NFL history to pass for over 40,000 yards.

In discussions with the Jets' organization, they have been very positive and supportive of me," Testaverde said. "I really appreciate the opportunity to have come back to New York, my home, and have enjoyed being part of some of the most successful and exciting years the Jets have had."

new topics

join