It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Capabiliites of South African Military Industrial Complex

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
South Africa does have one strategic resource ,a mineral which is needed
to make high quality metal (I can't remember the name of the stuff)
We are apparently the primary world supplier of it, aside from that
we are pretty unimportant hence why the govenment feels safe enough
to let the military slide into ,not so much disrepair as lax troop quality.

If what you mean is how would the USA do against us, I'd reckon they
would have a far easier time than they did in iraq, I expect though
they'd get smacked here and there with a bit armscor tech but it just wouldn't matter there just isn't ehough of it to make any sort of impact
and once they get down to going toe to toe with the grunts it would be a turkey shoot!

The Gripens would be put in the air with poor quality pilots and no strategy
and would get shot down in the first day.

Rouge, while I suspect that the Reccies might be getting a bit too much glory, they were heavly used and all trained in the old days of apartheid got PLENTY combat experience, and they were all deeply affected by both the training and the killing and I don't know any that arn't near psycotic
just last year one of them here where I stay beat a guy to near death beacause he was in the wrong spot in the suring line (As in Sea surfing)
Its unlikely they would casualy share what they did back then, I mean
we were the evil empire of racisim!

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
semperfoo

I don't care about 'little credibility' - I have not claimed to be someone of any signigicant knowledge (like yourself) - I'm just voicing my asshole opinion to a silly argument.

The point I'm getting to is that the time for Special Forces has come and gone. Since the outcome of a war clearly cannot be determined by who has the best special forces I really don't see the point. I would agree with you that the kill rations are high, and that the missions are successful, but to what purpose? The face of conventional warfare is changing.

I call it lost when you've been fighting since 2003 and you cannot walk accross Baghdad without being shot, exploded or kidnapped. And you managed to increase your national debt by trillions! Wake up man, you've LOST. Hopefully your new Congress will set you back on the right path. One can only hope there is enough sane people left in the US to choose the path of peace.

[edit on 18-1-2007 by RooiKatZA]

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   
South Africa does have strategic resources a few - the US relies upon their resources mainly chromium and platinum because the US does not produce enough for themselves both of which are crucial for economic purposes. Well Platinum is actually more crucial for environmental purposes and is not "crucial" in a strategic sense but was made crucial by greens.

Anyway - I myself am not sure what significance there is, the US could secure SA for itself if it doesn't build nukes (as it was going to during Apartheid) and if it's not a match between SA and the US then it's a matter of whatever party seeks to prevent the US supply from SA.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join