It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saddam Hussein has Been Executed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Saddam Hussein, the former Iraqi dictator, was exected in an early morning procedure carried out in Baghdad. Hung by the neck until dead, this man's reign of terror has ended. Western media now waits with anticipation for the photographic proof.

hosted.ap.org
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Clutching a Quran and refusing a hood, Saddam Hussein went to the gallows before sunrise Saturday, executed by vengeful countrymen after a quarter-century of remorseless brutality that killed countless thousands and led Iraq into disastrous wars against the United States and Iran.

In Baghdad's Shiite enclave of Sadr City, people danced in the streets while others fired guns in the air to celebrate the former dictator's death. The government did not impose a round-the-clock curfew as it did last month when Saddam was convicted to thwart any surge in retaliatory violence.

It was a grim end for the 69-year-old leader who had vexed three U.S. presidents. Despite his ouster, Washington, its allies and the new Iraqi leaders remain mired in a fight to quell a stubborn insurgency by Saddam loyalists and a vicious sectarian conflict.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As much as I'm glad to see this tyrant get what he deserved, I'm still wondering about the timing of this action. The conspiracy theorist in me seems to think that this execution was arranged only in the last few days or weeks.

The Bush administration's recent activities at Camp David lead me to think that "somebody" thought it was a good idea to do this now-now-now. There's no doubt that Hussein's demise will be hailed as a victory by President Bush during his State of the Union address in January. Will he use the occasion of Saddam's death to push for more troops? Or, will Mr. Bush be ready to declare victory and bring our soldiers home?

The political timing of this execution may not matter if the Bush administration insists on staying the course. Even so, I am hopeful that the Iraqis themselves will use this opportunity to banish their demons and work for a better and brighter future.

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com
times.hankooki.com
thestar.com.my

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Saddam is now in the hands of the Iraqis
Saddam to Hang This Weekend?

[edit on 30-12-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Dec, 30 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
As there are a multitude of Saddam threads, the earliest topic will remain open.
Please post your comments on the execution in this ATSNN thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

[edit on 30-12-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

join