It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First It Was Genetically Modified Foods. Now This!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
It seems to me that the powers that be will continue to do these things until voices are raised. Does this even sound healthy? Read the story below and decide for yourself.

FDA set to OK food from cloned animals By LIBBY QUAID, AP Food and Farm Writer
Wed Dec 27, 5:36 PM ET

WASHINGTON - Federal scientists have concluded there is no difference between food from cloned animals and food from conventional livestock, setting the stage for the government to declare Thursday that cloned animals are safe for the human food supply.

The Food and Drug Administration planned to brief industry groups in advance of an announcement. The agency indicated it would approve cloned livestock in a scientific journal article published online earlier this month.

The agency "concludes that meat and milk from clones and their progeny is as safe to eat as corresponding products derived from animals produced using contemporary agricultural practices," FDA scientists Larisa Rudenko and John C. Matheson wrote in the Jan. 1 issue of Theriogenology.

Look Here

It's amazing to me that the government continues to do this and yet people remain mum about it. Don't people realize that this is what is making us sick? We complain about the alleged effects of salt and sugar but don't even mention GM foods or this. Where is the logic in that?

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
If you truely understand what is really happening with cloneing you wouldnt really care. There is no genetic manipulation happening here. They are simply making exact copies of the animals with the best traits.... nothing more. They are raised in the womb and born into the world just like any other animal.

I dont understand the paranoia with this.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
i fear what this will do to lifestock diversity and i remember something about premature aging in clones, but for all i know this is much less dangerous than GMOs.

not harmless though.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Creedo
If you truely understand what is really happening with cloneing you wouldnt really care. There is no genetic manipulation happening here. They are simply making exact copies of the animals with the best traits.... nothing more. They are raised in the womb and born into the world just like any other animal.

I would be less paranoid if the FDA would allow labeling of the cloned meat and geneticlly manipulated food but they won't even allow the taxpaying consumer the information so they can make an informed decision.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

We complain about the alleged effects of salt and sugar but don't even mention GM foods or this. Where is the logic in that?

It's about making individuals "Personally Responsible" for their own health - and protecting corporations' "Rights of Personhood."

This clip from the article is pretty funny too:

The agency "concludes that meat and milk from clones and their progeny is as safe to eat as corresponding products derived from animals produced using contemporary agricultural practices,"

Point being: "corresponding products derived from animals produced using contemporary agricultural practices" are NOT safe.

Wotta joke.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well,one lady in the article states:

"It remains to be seen whether dairy farmers will even choose to use it," said Susan Ruland, spokeswoman for the International Dairy Foods Association, which represents such brands as Kraft and Dannon.

Why wouldn't they? They certainly have not had any qualms about using genetically modified foods. As long as they think they can make a profit,they will use it.

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creedo

If we all eat different foods... when plague comes, some of us have eaten the magic antidote.

If we all eat a monocrop we all have the same base from which to develop immunity.

Then, when plague comes to one, plague comes to all.

Why forego genetic novelty when we know it to be an asset in the constant struggle against microbial and parasitic diseases?

Cloning livestock is a threat to the biodiversity of global livestock, a threat to long term societal health, to the genetic novelty of the foods supply, and does not give any ethical regard to the rights of the calf; a sentient being.

I am,

Sri Oracle

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well, the fact that the article states that the majority of the populace does not want it speaks volumes to me. No matter though. The powers that be will continue their march towards their goal. While the ones who know what is occurring continue to allow it to occur.

I don't understand how some people can defend such things as GM foods and this cloned meat product experiment. I guess people think that this will eventually solve the world hunger problem. My question is rather simple. At what cost?

What difference does it make if someone eats, if it's only going to make them incredibly ill further down the road? To me, all it's doing is curbing a problem for the moment and creating a much larger,even more serious, one for the future.

However, that is how humanity's mindset presently operates. Let's have instant gratification and not worry about what happens weeks, months or years later. Talking about short sightedness. This world certainly suffers from it.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Speaker, Though the public probably overreacted to irradiated foods, thinking they were 'radioactive', in this case we don't really know what kind of genetic modifications were made. I don't think it would be wise to be among the first to test this kind of 'food'. I see g-ment involvement in there - sister agencies pushing this through the FDA and USDA.

Good points.

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I'm just waiting for the lab grown meat, "slap a lab-by on the barb" that quote will be all the rage at the family BBQ.

Cloned meat? Seems OK to me, but what about the genetic mutations? Like the aging thing? You wouldn't want to eat anything grotesque or deformed, (hmmm, people do eat seafood though
)

Like anything, they got to iron out the kinks before it's perfected, maybe they can even make animals that cannot think, just exist as meat products.

Where the hell am I going with this? Everytime I try to justify the potential, it always sounds, well, freaky

Is that good?

[edit on 29-12-2006 by Toadmund]

[edit on 29-12-2006 by Toadmund]

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 03:38 AM
link   
There have been a number of threads on this subject crop up at the same time.

Please continue discussion in this thread - www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join