It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran does need Nuclear Power - country could collapse by 2015

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2006 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Just caught this on CNN.

I find it very interesting - perhaps we should back off and see how things go. I think if the Iranian government toned down the rhetoric things could ease up.

Iran is suffering a staggering decline in revenue from its oil exports, and if the trend continues income could disappear by 2015, a National Academy of Sciences analysis found.

Iran's economic woes could make the country unstable and vulnerable, with its oil industry crippled, Roger Stern, an economic geographer at Johns Hopkins University, wrote in the report published Monday.

Stern's analysis, which appears in this week's edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, supports U.S. and European suspicions that Iran is trying to develop nuclear weapons in violation of international understandings.

But, Stern says, there could be merit to Iran's assertion that it needs nuclear power for civilian purposes "as badly as it claims."

He said oil production is declining and both gas and oil are being sold domestically at highly subsidized rates.

At the same time, Iran is neglecting to reinvest in its oil production.

"With an explosive demand at home and poor management, the appeal of nuclear power, financed by Russia, could fill a real need for production of more electricity."

If the United States can "hold its breath" for a few years it may find Iran a much more conciliatory country

CNN Article

[edit on 26-12-2006 by crisko]

posted on Mar, 26 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
See here!
WHat happened to this thread? Why no replies?

I like your thread crisko!
I thought you were pro-conquer the M.E., then I find this gem!

new topics

join