It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming: Seas Swallow Inhabited Island

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The worst fears of the predictions of global warming are coming to pass, the loss of inhabited areas due to rising seas. Loharchara Island, part of India's Sundarbans tropics, formerly home to over 10,000 people is now completely submerged.

news.independent.co.uk
As the seas continue to swell, they will swallow whole island nations, from the Maldives to the Marshall Islands, inundate vast areas of countries from Bangladesh to Egypt, and submerge parts of scores of coastal cities.

Eight years ago, as exclusively reported in The Independent on Sunday, the first uninhabited islands - in the Pacific atoll nation of Kiribati - vanished beneath the waves. The people of low-lying islands in Vanuatu, also in the Pacific, have been evacuated as a precaution, but the land still juts above the sea. The disappearance of Lohachara, once home to 10,000 people, is unprecedented.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As the U.S. administration to continues to have it's head in the sand regarding global warming, it will soon drown. The White House pressures government scientists to downplay the dangers of global warming, conservative pundits blame the "liberal press" for exaggerating climate change, and big oil sponsors research attempting to refute the findings of a horde of climatologists.

The conspiracy of disinform, deflect, and denounce has never been more intense and ludicrous.

Related News Links:
yro.slashdot.org
www.concordmonitor.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Folks, This Is Getting Serious
Get ready for freak weather
Hottest september in a 100 years
Exxon Funded 'Anti-Greenhouse' Science

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well as an American Capitalist, all I can say is, I reserve the rights for dive tours. I figure, I can charge to show them around where people used to congregate and shop around, and charge more to "look the other way" as they extract suoveirs. I figure I can get some profit out of it for at least two years. Now to find some investors

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 09:02 PM
link   
The seas did not swallow the island, more then likely it sunk as have many others

This one island is nothing more then a pin head compared to Atlantis if it did exist and let us not forget the Big Island of Hawaii is also said to be sinking which implies this is just mother nature doing its own thing.

But what they hey lets just blame it all on the US Right???? :shk:

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
The source material specifies rising water levels as the reason for the lost land. As well, I can see no mention of "blaming the US."

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by mister.old.school
The source material specifies rising water levels as the reason for the lost land.

Yeah it does but they failed to mention tectonic activity which is also known to have caused similar events at the junction of the Pacific and Australian continental plates in the past. Why is that? Or better yet can you tie volcanic or lanslide activties to global warming?

Originally posted by mister.old.school
I can see no mention of "blaming the US."

Really??? :shk: Go back and read your comments again.

[edit on 12/25/2006 by shots]

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Maybe the next Ice Age is starting. Let's compare the data from the last one. Oops, my bad, we weren't around for that one. What caused the last one anyway? Hold the opinion and theory.

posted on Dec, 25 2006 @ 05:16 PM
link   
not just old news , but dishonest sensationalism . Lohachara was Actually abandoned almost 20 years ago at the time , soil errosion was blamed .

is it is strange that this isnt mentioned in the independant ?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I love reading the posts of deniers, anything but accept the notion that we affect our environment in both positive and negative ways. They are almost as funny (and pathetic) as reading posts from creationists trying to deny evolution.

Yeah land masses rise and sink...at inches or less rate per what, year, decade, century? Unless they are blown to smithereens by volcanic activity. Doesn't matter if the lands were abandoned 20 years ago or not either, it is their loss that matters.

BTW if we were entering an ice age sea levels would be dropping as masses of water became tied up in snow and ice.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   

by Grover
BTW if we were entering an ice age sea levels would be dropping as masses of water became tied up in snow and ice.

This is a pretty bold statement, considering that NO ONE knows for sure how Ice Ages begin or end! Or even the cause for that matter. Is that just your Opinion, or some Theory you heard.

They are almost as funny (and pathetic) as reading posts from creationists trying to deny evolution.

Yeah, almost as funny as watching evolutionists try to defend their position without scientific evidence! Which is off topic anyway, but since you brought it in..........

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
It is not a bold statement. It is pretty well established that during ice ages the sea levels drop because of all the water that is tied up....remember the Bearing straits land bridge that disappeared as the glaicers retreated?

As for evolution not being proven by science...give me a break. Can you say drug resistant viruses?

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   

by Grover
remember the Bearing straits land bridge that disappeared as the glaicers retreated?

No I don't remember. You must be ALOT older than me. Wasn't that supposedly like 10's of thousands of years ago? If so then it qualifies as speculation along the lines of and Ice Age ending.

As far as causes for the Beginning of them, and the nuances thereof? For instance, if it was a solar issue, might not there be a temp. spike just before the heat gets turned way down?

As for evolution not being proven by science...give me a break. Can you say drug resistant viruses?

Can you say adaptation? All life has the ability to adapt. How do you think the different races of man came about? Evolution is something else all together. Its like taking an inanimate object and saying that given enough time, and the right circumstances, it will spring to life.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
adaption is evolution. all the theory of evolution does is describe how that adaption takes place.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I don't think so. Adaptation within species is a whole lot different than Dolphins turning into Humans. Like I said, for evolution to happen, you first have to explain how inanimate minerals turned into life forms!

Edit: Sorry, but since we're already steering off topic, I have to throw this in. I just spotted this. It seems there is a human/dolphin hybrid available! www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 1-1-2007 by HimWhoHathAnEar]

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
that is total nonsense. You don't even know what you are talking about. Evolutionary theory never suggests that one species can turn into another. If you are referring to the whole human/ape thing, what Darwin actually suggested is that we shared a common ancestor which is something totally different.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   

by Grover
that is total nonsense. You don't even know what you are talking about.

Are you going to address the beginning of evolution or just keep deflecting. I for one don't agree with doing it on this thread, out of respect to the OP. Please direct me to the proper venue or I shall not respond further.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Evolution as a theory does not address how life began.... it discusses how species change and evolve. A huge difference, and it does not even suggest a dolphin could evolve into a man or any other such nonsense.

As for what I said about the ice age and the rise and fall of sea levels, that wasn't a theory about how they began or ended either, simply a description of what happens when so much water is either tied up in snow and ice (the sea level drops, the water has to come from somewhere ya know) and what happens when it melts as well... low lying areas like the islands this thread is about, are inundated.

I really suggest you go and take high school science over again, and pay attention this time.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   

by Grover
Evolution as a theory does not address how life began

Oh Really? What is Darwins Theory of Common Descent Then?

that wasn't a theory about how they began or ended either

Sounded like 'Grovers Theory on how Ice Ages begin' to me.

I really suggest you go and take high school science over again, and pay attention this time.

Your personal attacks on every post are really starting to bore me.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Evolution is not a "theory", however Grover's explanation for how and why this natural phenomena occurred is.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Many ...believe in evolution for the simple reason that they think science has proven it to be a `fact' and, therefore, it must be accepted... In recent years, a great many people...having finally been persuaded to make a real examination of the problem of evolution, have become convinced of its fallacy and are now convinced anti-evolutionists."
-- Henry Morris, former evolutionist.

by WestPoint23
Grover's explanation for how and why this natural phenomena occurred is.

Are you refering to Ice Ages?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
Are you refering to Ice Ages?

I was referring to his support for the OP's reason, Global Warming, nothing but speculation.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join