It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chelsea: Adu staying put... for now

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   
DC United have played down reports linking Freddy Adu with a move to Chelsea. Reports emanating from England on Tuesday suggested Chelsea were lining up a move for the prodigious teenager. The 16-year-old is regarded as one of the best young talents in world football and all of Europe's top clubs are thought to be keeping tabs on Adu. Big things are expected of Adu and he has already played for the United States.

Skysports

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Now if I understand the regulations, he can't move till he's 17 and also needs to have at least one international cap?

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
not sure PavingSlab

I aint see this guy play dang! heard he is awesome and was playing for a team when he was about 14, i think a full time team?

Any ideas how he did in his international game?

TRD

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Yeah he has one cap for the US, but you can't sign a proffessional contract untill 17, so a move will be impossible for now. As he could go for next to nothing, and i can't see them letting that happen. They will sign him on a huge contract for something stupid like 10 years, so anyone comes to buy him they will most prob have to break the transfer record and theres only 1 club that could pay that sort of money... Chelsea..

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
ahhhh... i have heard of the 17 year old bit.

Makes you wonder if the Glazer man from man utd will be talking to his manager/chairman to try get a deal?

but yip, if it comes to the money, chelsea have it

TRD

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well they can move before they are 17 but the club they are at will only recieve compensation and its not always that much. West Ham only had to cough up a smallish amount for Defoe when we poached him from Charlton when he was young. Same goes for David Beckham, Man United poached him from West Ham.. It goes to a tribunal as they havnt signed a pro contract yet...

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 01:43 PM
link   
DC are saying Chelsea havn't even made an approach but don't believe everything you hear. All the top clubs in Europe would have made some sort of inquiry about him as he is reported to be that good.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 03:09 PM
link   
i think a good thing to remember here is.....

over the last few years there has been an influx of young american guys moving to english clubs..

no big name guys or anything, but they are around... just hiding lol

posted on Feb, 12 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   
heres an article about it

Freddy Adu's agent has admitted holding "friendly discussions" with both Chelsea and Manchester United, but says any deal has yet to be agreed.

BBC Sport last week revealed the 16-year-old American, who plays for DC United, was being watched by Chelsea.

On Sunday Adu's agent Richard Motzkin told BBC Radio Five Live: "Chelsea and Manchester United have talked with us about Freddy and are interested.

source BBC

There is no denying here about talks, i think its really..... who does he want to join? i would say Chelsea. But if he moved, would it be him in the reserves for years? i think there more chance of him getting into the Man Utd team

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well even as a Chelsea supporter, IF the guy is any good, then he should go somewhere else, other than Chelsea. It needs to even out somewhere...

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
just thinking.... cos i know Chelsea are good at this... signing players then loaning them out.

You did it with Smertin and that guy Alex (Whats happened to him by the way? the brazilian defender).

I guess that could be the scenario

posted on Feb, 13 2006 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rynaldo82

I aint see this guy play dang! heard he is awesome and was playing for a team when he was about 14, i think a full time team?

He plays for the (Washington) DC United, a team in the professional (soccer) football league over on this side of the pond. I remember all the hubbub when he signed the inital contract, being only 14 and all.

So, if I understand what ya'll are saying correctly, players can't sign a contract until they are 17 over in England?

top topics

join