It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aston Villa: O'Leary - spending spree?

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary has been given the green light by chairman Doug Ellis to embark on a summer spending spree - believed to be in the region of 20million.

O'Leary had thought he would only have around 4million to bolster his squad and admitted to have been looking to bring in free transfer signings. But now he has been told by Ellis that he will have "substantial" funds and is looking to bring in four players in time for the 2005-2006 campaign.

LINK

Sir

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
They certainly need to spend a bit of cash. Somehow they always manage to finish in the top half of the table, in a european place or pushing for one.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
thinking he is only getting 4 million to discover its nearer 20 million, that wat i call a suprise.

if he spends well. it should enable his team to challenege for a top 6 spot just about

he aint going to take over the top 3. and i think it will bring his team closer to liverpool, everton etc

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   
lets say, he does get the 20/25 million and in the end he doesnt win a thing or doesnt finish any higher. do you think he will be out a job

i think its fair to say ellis is quite stubborn like that and does sack mangers perhaps a little tooo easily and harshly

but could spending that type of money get them into the champions league?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
That sort of money won't get them a champions league place. Not when you have Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man United. Unless they can unearth a couple of gems at a reasonable price all they will be able to do is consolidate there place in the league (top ten)..

Even if O'leary spends alot of money and still doesn't do that much better, they won't sack him.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
yip. they would need to have a really good season and find a few great players at reasonable prices. a job in itself which would be hard.

i think they are going to find it tough replacing hitzleberger and if postma leaves, then they will need a sub keeper.

i cant see 20 million being available, i dont think they have spent anything like that in the summer? angle cost loads but how often has signings like that been made? not often i dont think

i think o'leary can keep the club at the level they are at, but i cant see them going any higher. i just have doubts about how long ellis will tolerate it though

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
He has already proven that given large amounts of money he is wastefull. I don't blame him for the demise of Leeds that was the boards fault, but he spent alot of money on rubbish players. Deadly Doug is just been his usual tightfisted self.

O'Leary is doing a decent job at Villa though with what he has to work with. Solano was a great capture.

Sir

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Newcastle wanted to take Solano back after they realised they had made a mistake in selling him. Great signing by Villia and he seems real happy there. Losing Hitzelspurger will be a blow, but i think he will manage to bring in a couple more decent players. He did waste a bit of money at Leeds, but he seems to have learned by his mistakes..

TRD

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

David O'Leary is hoping to sign five players in the summer after clarifying his transfer budget with Aston Villa chairman Doug Ellis. The Villa boss had previously revealed that he would be handed substantial funds to bolster his meagre squad in the summer, sparking rumours of a 20 million purse, although Ellis had not set down a concrete figure. Although O'Leary conceded that the real figure now revealed by the notoriously miserly Ellis is not quite up to the figures bandied about, he declared his delight at being able to bring in quality players to aid Villa's drive for Europe next term.

LINK

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hitzelspurger comes across as a twat, if he thinks he is bigger tahn the club then get him out.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
is that why the german boy didnt get the new contract? yer, the money he spent at leads, and i think risdale was also to blame cos he kept splashing the cash. if they had won the champions league nad the league though it would have been wisely spent perhaps lol.

i though that, solona was great at the toon, i dunno why they sold him

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I just read that Germany have to him and Hamman that thye must wear Adidas boots from now on or they won't get picked for international duty.

Bloody Germans and their uniform rules! It's like the Nazi regime all over again!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I read that aswell, thats pretty bad. How can they dictate as what a player wears? All players have different sponsors and to not wear their brand and wear a rivals is a breach of contract isn't it?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
yer. that stinks, i think it all boils down to money on this one

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Nazi power.

top topics

join