It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arsenal: Lehmann can go says wenger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Jens Lehmann is allowed to leave highbury accorind to Arsene Wenger

"Lehmann can leave, but all that matters in football is what you do on the pitch," explained Wenger. "You have to show super professionalism.

"To be fair to Lehmann he has responded to the situation with absolute professionalism. He works harder than ever before. He has shown he is a top-level professional."

link

TRD

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I'm not surprised the way he has played but i thought Wenger had faith in him. Looks like they will be on the lookout for a new keeper then..

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
if he is saying he can go, lehmann is going to drop to 2nd choice behind almunia, and he dont seem that great either. he must have his eye on som1 to come in on january

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
well. with what lehmann says here, he dont seem too bothered, maybe his opinion will change a few months done the line

''My contract runs to June 30, 2006 and I'd like to stay at Arsenal until then,'' confirmed Lehmann to Kicker.

''I like playing here. I'm working hard and I assume I'll play again soon.

''If I'm playing half a year before the World Cup that should be good enough.

''And if I'm on the bench now but playing again in February then everything is fine.''

TRD

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yea most prob paying him too much thats why he wants to stay and when his contract runs out he can walk away for free and get a huge signing on bonus with another club lol!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well he did threaten the manager with "I want to play or I'll leave e.t.c.".

No manager can take that kind of thing, so of course "There you go lad, the door's open". Probably gave him a shock. lol

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
TextText
Hi,
I just found this forum by fluke today, seems to be a sensible amd idiot free. Anyway back to the subject, as far I am am concerned the Arsenal defence this year is nowhere as good as it previously has been another quality centre back is badly needed and most definately a world class keeper. Since the demise of Seaman we have lacked a world class stopper, Lehman's performances are adequete nothing more, all great teams over the years have had world class keepers and unless we acquire one shortly we will struggle to win this years premiership. As far as I am concerned Lehman can go, his best years are not to come. Our new boy between the posts looks nervous at times and will be good cover for whoever we acquire, IMHO come 1st Jan goalkeeper hunting we need to go.

TRD

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I've said on here before the Gunners will be on the lookout for a new keeper. I think the defence is ok, just needs someone to command it. Finding a really good keeper will not be an easy task as there isn't that many about. And it seems a few teams are struggling to get one including Man United.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
i think you need a keeper too,

not sure who you will get though, maybe canizares, i think he has been linked in the past but maybe he is out of reach

with defence, i think som1 is needed, but i think kolo toure has done a good job and sol cambell wont get dropped. but something is going wrong.

TRD

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Wenger seems to think he doesn't need one.....

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has insisted he will not be moving for a new goalkeeper in January.

Reports are insistent that Wenger is looking for a new number one, with Antti Niemi, Shay Given, Jussi Jaaskelainen, Robert Green and Mark Schwarzer all linked.

Wenger is reportedly unhappy with his current crop of keepers, with Jens Lehmann falling behind Manuel Almunia in the pecking order - even though the Spaniard has struggled in recent games.

The Arsenal chief admits he likes both Niemi and Given, but he insists that he is not planning on making a move for a new goalkeeper.

posted on Dec, 26 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
There are two keepers in the premiership who I would like to see wearing the Arsenal shirt and they are Schwarzer of Boro and Kiely of Charlton, however Wenger will look to Europe to acquire his keeper.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 06:10 AM
link   
it looks like a german team are gonna try get him (lehmann). wonder if it will happen

Borussia director of football Christian Hochstatter admits the club could well submit an offer during the transfer window.

"Normally, such a transfer would be difficult to achieve, but if Jens sits on the bench for much longer, then who knows what happens?" he stated.

"When somebody like Lehmann becomes available then you've certainly got to consider it."

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
the keeper himself has finaly spoken

Arsenal's out-of-favour Germany international Jens Lehmann has finally broken his silence about being dropped by manager Arsene Wenger.

The experienced goalkeeper has told Bild that he is hopeful of winning back the number one jersey at Highbury.

The 35-year-old shot stopper, who left former UEFA Champions League winners Borussia Dortmund in 2003 before helping the North Londoners to win the double last term, sat out his eighth straight match when his team-mates managed a 3-1 away win over London rivals Charlton Athletic on New Year's Day.

"I am convinced that I'll be soon playing again," declared Lehmann, who knows that he will not be able to star for his country at the 2006 World Cup if he fails reclaim his first team status with The Gunners.

Lehmann, who has also starred for Schalke and Milan, is not overly impressed by the form of Spaniard Manuel Almunia, who currently is Wenger's first choice.

"After watching our last games, I can't see that Almunia would be any better than I am," said Lehmann, who refused to comment on the list of blunders his former understudy has made in the past few weeks.

Lehmann's comments suggest that he is willing to fight for his place and will not jump at the chance to leave Highbury during this month's transfer window, despite being the target of Bundesliga club Borussia Monchengladbach, where manager Dick Advocaat is keen to bring in a new keeper.

sky spots

TRD

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I didn't know he was 53, looks like his career will be over at the gunners for sure...

*edit* 35 not 53 lol! though he might aswell be!

[Edited on 4/1/05 by TRD]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
yer, at that age, if he aint gonna be playing and there a offer to go back home and play. i think he would take it.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
from what is being said, he could have left but wants to stay and get back to no1

Jens Lehmann has admitted that Arsene Wenger offered him the chance to quit Highbury.

The German custodian has been playing second-fiddle to Manuel Almunia in recent weeks and has made clear his frustration at his predicament.

Lehmann will be hopeful of reclaiming his starting spot after yet another poor display from Almunia in The Gunners' loss at Bolton on Saturday.

skysports.planetfootball.com...:+Wenger+offered+me+exit&channel=Premiership

new topics

top topics

join