It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Ruiz Wins Ugly Bout With Rahman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Associated Press - December 14, 2003

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Watching John Ruiz fight wasn't easy. For Hasim Rahman, beating him was even harder.

In a fight that drew boos almost every round, Ruiz put himself in position for another heavyweight title Saturday night by winning an ugly but unanimous decision over Rahman.

Ruiz got in the harder and cleaner punches, but also held Rahman after almost every flurry in his first fight since losing the WBA title in a poor performance against Roy Jones Jr. in March.

The fight went all 12 rounds, and the crowd booed loudly when it ended with Ruiz winning by 118-110 on one scorecard, 116-112 on a second and 115-114 on a third. The Associated Press had Ruiz ahead 117-112.

``I know it wasn't a pretty fight. I want to apologize for that,'' Ruiz said. ``I was more cautious than I was going in and fighting him.''

The fight between the two former heavyweight champions was billed as being for the WBA interim heavyweight title, with the winner becoming champion if Jones refuses to fight him.

That appears likely, though Ruiz did little to show that he can be considered among the heavyweight elite.

``That was as ugly as it could be,'' Rahman said.

It surely wasn't pretty, but it was effective. From the opening bell Ruiz went in and threw a punch or two, then tied up Rahman before he could respond.

``I couldn't do nothing with that,'' Rahman said. ``The jab was my power punch and look at his face, it's all busted up. A blind man could see he didn't win eight rounds.''

The fight was part of a marathon card at the Boardwalk Hall that included title fights with welterweight champion Ricardo Mayorga against Cory Spinks and middleweight champion Bernard Hopkins against William Joppy.

``I can't always look good,'' Ruiz said. ``Some fights are grueling fights. I need an easier fight to look pretty.''

The tone for the fight was set almost from the opening punch. Ruiz threw it, then grabbed on to Rahman, a pattern that would repeat itself despite the best efforts of referee Randy Neumann to keep the fighters separated.

By the second round, the crowd was already booing but, just as suddenly, Ruiz landed a right hand that wobbled Rahman. Ruiz immediately went after Rahman, but wasn't able to land any more effective punches before the end of the round.

``He don't want to fight, he wants to hold,'' trainer Roger Mayweather told Rahman after the second round.

Neither fighter went down and neither appeared seriously hurt other than the right hand that left Rahman shaky in the second round.

``After the second round, I knew I had him,'' Ruiz said. ``I wobbled him, but I knew I needed to be careful because every time I wobbled him he came back at me with wild right hands.''

Mayweather was so frustrated he went out to complain to referee Randy Neumann after the sixth round that Ruiz should be penalized for holding. Rahman was also frustrated, but he was also getting beat to the punch by Ruiz, who landed the harder and more effective shots.

Rahman (35-5-1) hasn't won since stopping Lennox Lewis in April 2001 to win the heavyweight title in a shocking upset. He lost to Lewis in the rematch, then lost to Evander Holyfield and had a draw with David Tua in his last fight.

TRD

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yep it wasn't a great fight but it looks like Ruiz is back on course for a shot at the world heavywight title after beating Hasim Rahman on points...I would like to see him fight Jones again for the WBA..

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yep it wasn't a great fight but it looks like Ruiz is back on course for a shot at the world heavywight title after beating Hasim Rahman on points...I would like to see him fight Jones again for the WBA..

I would also like to see that rematch happen. I think he would do much better against Jones this time around. But I dont think jones will take the fight.

TRD

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Why would Jones not take it?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Why would Jones not take it?

Jones said in his last interview that if he did not get the fight he wants with Tyson that he would retire.

TRD

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Lol is that because he thinks Tyson is his best chance of a win,Jones needs to fight the top boxers and there is plenty cueing up to take him on...

posted on Dec, 17 2003 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Lol is that because he thinks Tyson is his best chance of a win,Jones needs to fight the top boxers and there is plenty cueing up to take him on...

I dont think he wants to fight Tyson because he thinks it would be an easy win but because of money. Plain and Simple. A fight between Tyson and Jones would bring fighters a $hitload of money.

TRD

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yes there is the money factor,but what about Jones v Toney? Ruiz V Jones? Klitschko v Jones? etc etc they would all be big pay days aswell.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yes there is the money factor,but what about Jones v Toney? Ruiz V Jones? Klitschko v Jones? etc etc they would all be big pay days aswell.

I would like to see Jones give both Ruiz and Toney a rematch. Those would be good fights especially the Toney one.

top topics

join