It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Toney v Holyfield...time for Holyfield to retire

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 26 2003 @ 04:38 AM
link   
James Toney almost certainly ended Evander Holyfield's dream of becoming a five-time heavyweight world champion in Las Vegas.

A fortnight before his 41st birthday, Holyfield was pummelled into submission by the former IBF middleweight title holder.

It was only the second time in a glittering 47-fight career that Holyfield had been stopped, the previous occasion coming against Riddick Bowe in 1995.

But having now won only two of his last eight bouts, Holyfield will come under renewed pressure to hang up his gloves.

Holyfield's left hook had his opponent backpedalling a couple of times in round one but Toney's faster hand speed soon helped him to establish a foothold in the contest.

A superb straight right then hurt Holyfield early in the fourth and Toney followed up with some classy combinations.

Holyfield had few answers as Toney connected with countless left-right one-twos and some hurtful left hooks to the body.

Toney even appeared happy to trade punches in close and the end came for Holyfield when he wearily hit the floor in the ninth and his corner threw in the towel.

For Toney, the options now include a big-money match-up with Mike Tyson or a fascinating rematch with Roy Jones, another multiple weight world champion who earlier this year claimed the WBA heavyweight title.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I dont understand why Holyfield wants to keep fighting. After the beating Toney gave him he looked like the "old -past his prime fighter" that he is. He should retire or I fear he may end up crippled and with even worse brain damage than he has right now.

TRD

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Thing is Holyfield in his day was a great fighter,he got smashed by Toney who i don't think is even that good or not nearly as good as Holyfield was..Holyfield should give it up he must have enough money now and i can't believe its for the love of the sport he must be just plain dumb..lol

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Thing is Holyfield in his day was a great fighter,he got smashed by Toney who i don't think is even that good or not nearly as good as Holyfield was..Holyfield should give it up he must have enough money now and i can't believe its for the love of the sport he must be just plain dumb..lol

I disagree. I think James Toney is an incredible and gifted fighter. After his impresive wins over Jirov and now Holyfield I think Toney can beat anyone out there right now.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What I would really like to see is a Rematch between Roy Jones and James Toney. Maybe for Jones's WBA HEavyweight Title. Now that would be the fight of the year in my opinion.

TRD

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:20 PM
link   
When i say not that good i meant compaired to Holyfield in his prime.

Well that would be a fight to see what a match up that would be.As jones wasn't that impressive in his last fight i think it would be a better match up than the last time they fought.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Dont hold your breath.

Jones said that if he did not get his fight against Mike Tyson that he would retire. I hope he doesnt. There are still many possible great fights out there for Jones.

Ben

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I would like to see that match Toney and Roy Joens...i still can't believe that Holyfield is fighting he must be like 60 or something...he is old and still a good fighter...some people jsut need to know when to stop.

posted on Nov, 27 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I would like to see that match Toney and Roy Joens...i still can't believe that Holyfield is fighting he must be like 60 or something...he is old and still a good fighter...some people jsut need to know when to stop.

Holyfield has taken too many hard blows to the head and he may not be thinking rationaly. He's is done... he's over. For the love of God Evander just retire and spare yourself the embarrasment.

TRD

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
As Ocelot mentioned before any more beatings like that and he could be in serious trouble,sadly he should retire now before some everlasting damage is done..

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
As Ocelot mentioned before any more beatings like that and he could be in serious trouble,sadly he should retire now before some everlasting damage is done..

Yea I agree.

Sir

posted on Dec, 1 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Holyfield must give it up,i agree he is past his prime.Let people remember him for the decent fighter he was not some bum getting smashed all over the place possibly brain damaged aswell.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Holyfield is now officially a bum! he has gone from a great fighter and warrior to a goddam bum,he should duck out the side door and disappear,if he fights again he is gonna get whipped again.

top topics

join