It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: David Beckham

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TRD

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Man U or Real Madrid? will he stay or will he go?

Beckham has got to be the best Midfieldier in England,for Alex Ferguson to leave him out of the side he needs to pull his head from out of his Backside! If Man U let him go they must be mad they will lose out on tens of milllions of pounds in revenue as well as the English Premier losing one of it's best players...

Sir

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 04:30 PM
link   
He's gotta go to madrid.They (him & posh)will be treated like royalty.She'll make him go.But i also think if he does go it will mess up his style of play for the England squad.

TRD

posted on Apr, 27 2003 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Possibly but they won't match his pay structure like Man U...He would lose over 8 million a year...Real will take 50% of his earnings outside football and he would have to take a pay cut.....I would stay where i am and wait till Ferguson goes...

Your right about his style of play but will it only make him better by player with most of the Best players in the world?

posted on Apr, 28 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Nahhh... Too many stars in a team isn't good. Just look at Barcelona.

TRD

posted on Apr, 29 2003 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandit795
Nahhh... Too many stars in a team isn't good. Just look at Barcelona.

Yes see your point Bandit,It's just all the foreign players we have in england we should try to keep of our own talent...

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Couldn't find a milestone board so hi everyone, great to be here....

Apart from the commercial revenue Becks brings to Man Utd, in my opinion he doesn't really contribute much else. Taking free kicks and corners doesn't justify a status as one of the worlds best players, I'm not denying he IS one of the finest dead ball strikers in the game but you can't honestly tell me he would out Figo from the right side of Real's midfield?

If United can afford to lose out in the Far East with all those shirts he sells, then cash in on him. No player is bigger than the club and as the manager Fergie will always have the last laugh no matter what. To be honest I don't think he will go, why take a pay cut to warm a bench in Spain?

For a player who can't dribble, take on a player, tackle, head, use his left foot and who is slower than a wide man has any right to be David Beckham is world class! Quote from George Cohen, 1966 World Cup winner���.

TRD

posted on May, 6 2003 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Welcom Teflon good to have you!

Well as you put it the Real players are world class,if he is only making the bench at Man U in some games will he make it into the Real side...I don't think he will go as the money they make from him is used to buy more players...I think he will go eventually but where i do not know...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Barcelona has made a $49 million offer to bring David Beckham to Spain, the British newspaper the Sunday Express reported Sunday.

The report indicates that Manchester United has accepted the offer in principle after preliminary talks with Barca representatives.

The Catalan giants cannot make a firm bid for Beckham until the new club president is unveiled after the club's elections on June 15.

AC Milan is reported to be willing to match Barca's offer, while Inter Milan, Roma and Real Madrid have also been linked with the 28-year-old England captain.

Beckham, who is on holiday in America with his family, has stated that he wants to stay at Old Trafford.

soccernet.espn.go.com...

TRD

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Well they say money talks and although Beckham seems to be loyal if Man U accept i cant see Becham staying..He would get a hugh salary and instant lengend status as the spanosh and italians love him...I think he would be a fool if he doesn't go...!

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Looks like he is now Barcelona bound. Would be a good move, they are crying out for a new star and he would get the centre stage he craves.

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Yep it looks that way just up to him now...
Instant stardom for becks and a fortune to be made..Barcelona are a decent side so he will be mad not to go as it seems like man u have made it clear that their is no future for him at the club...

More european games on now...lol

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think Barca have the makings of a decent team but at the moment they all play for themselves, that's one of the main reasons this season went so badly. They also need a decent manager at the helm to control things. If all goes to plan with this, the Becks would certainly be the jewel in the crown.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
well its looking more and more likely that he will go and they are offering a great deal to beckham,so i suppose we will find out in a few weeks as i dont think they will try to rush it through...

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
True, it all depends on the Barca Presidential elections. Hopefully it will happen though.

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Manchester United have confirmed that clubs from Italy and Spain have "expressed a firm interest" in signing David Beckham.

Months of frenzied speculation have finally come to a head with United's admission that they have received firm interest in the England skipper from leading clubs on the continent.

"Manchester United can confirm today that clubs from Italy and Spain have expressed a firm interest in signing David Beckham,'' revealed United in a statement.

"David's advisers SFX have also been approached by clubs independently and we are in regular and close contact with them regarding the status on those discussions, which are ongoing.''

After it was revealed on Friday that United officials wanted to bring forward talks on extending a contract which still has two years to run, this latest development in the long-running Beckham saga ensures a final decision on his future will be made over the next few weeks.

With Champions League winners AC Milan, mighty Real Madrid and Catalan giants Barcelona believed to be lining up to pounce should the world's highest profile player decide he wants to sever his Old Trafford ties, Beckham clearly has a huge dilemma in front of him as he makes his way back from his current tour of the United States.

And the indications are that the 28-year-old will cut the umbilical cord and pursue his long-held dream of plying his trade on the continent.

For, while United insist they do not want Beckham to go, the impending arrival of Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho, plus the on-going pursuit of Leeds wide man Harry Kewell leave the midfielder in little doubt that places in Sir Alex Ferguson's side will be at a premium next term.

By leaving Beckham out of key games against Arsenal and Real Madrid at the back end of last season, Ferguson has already proved he is willing to operate without the Londoner's supreme passing skills and the fiery Scot has left little doubt about his distaste for the cavalcade of media attention which accompany the player's every move.

Merely by pointing out rival clubs have approached SFX, United have shown their willingness to think about selling Beckham at the right price.

And, the announcement, after weeks of refusing to comment on the mounting speculation, also means that if Beckham does leave, he will be the one seen to have made the fatal move.

It also confirms that Beckham has more than just the single option of a switch to Barcelona, which was dependent on Joan Laporta overcoming the odds to win the club presidency battle.

Given Barca are not even certain of a place in the UEFA Cup next season, United's fellow Champions League contenders Real and AC Milan look to be clear favourites to acquire his services.

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
David Beckham believes he has been used as a "political pawn" in the Barcelona presidential elections.

Manchester United revealed they would accept an offer for the England captain from Barcelona presidential candidate Joan Laporta if the Catalan lawyer wins the club's elections on Sunday.

But a spokesman for SFX, Beckham's management company, said: "David is very disappointed and surprised to learn of this statement and feels that he has been used as a political pawn in the Barcelona presidential elections.

"David's advisors have no plans to meet Mr Laporta or his representatives."

Well this might have ruled one club out of the equation...

TRD

posted on Jun, 14 2003 @ 12:06 PM
link   
David Beckham OBE flew back into Britain on Saturday afternoon with the next chapter of his colourful career about to be written.

The England captain, who said he was "honoured and privileged" to have been awarded an OBE in the Queen's birthday honours list, is being courted by Barcelona and, according to reports, Real Madrid with Manchester United apparently ready to sell him to the highest bidder.

The 28-year-old midfielder has been on holiday with his family in the United States but flew back into the eye of the storm when he arrived back at Heathrow.

Both looking relaxed and sporting baseball caps, Beckham and his pop-star wife Victoria walked calmly through to an "alternative route" out of the airport, surrounded by a huge security entourage, with the footballer holding hands with his elder son Brooklyn and Victoria carrying Romeo.

TRD

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ok i will chance my arm and say YES Bechham has signed for RealMadrid...I got this from a reliable source and nothing has been confirmed..

Manchester United star David Beckham has snubbed Barcelona and signed for Real Madrid in a �20m deal, according to reports in Spain.

England skipper Beckham's future has been the subject of intense speculation for months now, but hit fever pitch when United indicated they were ready to cash in on their prize asset by agreeing a deal with Nou Camp giants Barca.

Even though that deal was dependant on Joan Laporta being elected president - which he was on Sunday night - Beckham's representatives claimed they had no intention to enter talks with Barcelona, who have failed to qualify for next season's Champions League.

And Spanish radio reports are now claiming that Beckham has put pen to paper on a four-year contract which will earn him around �90,000 a week.

United are refusing to comment but Beckham's agent SFX say the deal is 'imminent if not concluded'.

Full details of the deal are not yet available, but it is believed that United have accepted a �20m bid, which could rise depending on appearances and the 28-year-old enjoying success in Madrid.

If Beckham signs for Real, he will join a star-studded squad at the Bernabeu which already boasts the likes of Raul, Ronaldo, Luis Figo and Zinedine Zidane.

But even if he passes a medical and formally signs for Real on 2 July, he may not be handed his favoured 'number seven' shirt, as Raul currently holds that squad number and has stressed his desire to keep hold of it.

If the deal goes through, Beckham will become United's most expensive sale ever and will end an Old Trafford career which spans a decade, 397 games and 88 goals.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Beckham officially signed for Real Madrid

I was hoping he signed for Portsmouth !

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
LONDON -- Manchester United's David Beckham will join Real Madrid after the two most glamorous clubs in the world agreed a fee of around 35 million euros ($41.31 million) for the England captain on Tuesday.

Beckham is expected to earn around six million euros a year plus bonuses at the nine-time European champions and will undergo a medical in Madrid on July 1.

Italian clubs Inter and AC Milan showed an initial interest in Beckham but a week ago United announced it had agreed a conditional deal to sell him to Barcelona.

In the last three years Real has held a virtual monopoly on buying the world's best players.

Zinedine Zidane, Luis Figo and Ronaldo, all winners of the World Player of the Year award, have arrived at the Bernabeu for a combined transfer total of more than $160 million, with Beckham taking the outlay to more than $200 million.

Beckham, married to pop star Victoria Adams and with two young children, leads a high-profile celebrity lifestyle that has not always been appreciated by 61-year-old Ferguson.

soccernet.espn.go.com...

Good thing TRD, you would have lost your arm! LOL!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join