It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Sports: National Championship game

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Originally posted by Lostsailor
Plus, Texas is a much better team then Oklahoma was last year.

I'm right there with you on that one. Let's hope they prove it on Wednesday.

BHN, you shoudl check out the "parent" site of this one, ATS, you can get into all kinds of politacal BS over there.

GIBBS OLD PAL,

I'd missed this post for several days, I guess. What is this all about?

My posts are almost always politically neutral, and for the very good reason I have no respect for either of the "two parties" we're supposed to choose from. I belong the growing number of people who believe there's not a nickel's worth of difference between choices in our "two-party system," when you get right down to it.

I've seen numerous other posts on here--like one today, saying anybody, including Swann, but some guy in Pennsylvania I've never heard of, apparently the incumbent; and another, some time ago, saying the author was boycotting California and N.Y.--that were very politically judgmental, and loaded in favor of one "party" over the "other." Now, I take no offense at these, but I don't see why you should be telling ME to "get into political BS" at some other website.

I've never said anything like that to any of the more ideal-specific authors here, and I wouldn't dream of it unless they started making really horrific racist, anti-semitic or misogynous (I think that's the right word) remarks. But I can't take a swipe at Homeland Security, which has repealed the Constitution and is viewed with horror not only by every Western European democracy, but also by legal scholars of virtually every political stripe in this country? It's tame compared to stuff I've read here.

Of course, I know you have more juice than I do, but I don't get the point. I can show you a lot of politically biased comments on this site, and I mean ones where the specific nature of the bias is obvious, and usually it's a bias which rubs me the wrong way, but that's T.S. for me, as far as I'm concerned. I respect their rights to say what they want, as long as it's not a personal attack on me.

B.H.N.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   
WOW what a game. If that wasn't a great end to a bowl season I don't know what is. Vince Young was the best player on the field last night and some other players had great games also. Vince should go pro and has surely helped his stock based largely on last nights game.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lostsailor
That 4th down try by the Trojans early in the game when they could have gotten three points will be the difference in this game I think.

Hehe... what can I say? I called it. Longhorns by three. I also thought Vince Young should have been the Hiesman trophy winner this year and I think he showed that on the field last night. Was a great game to watch.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut

GIBBS OLD PAL,

My posts are almost always politically neutral, and for the very good reason I have no respect for either of the "two parties" we're supposed to choose from. I belong the growing number of people who believe there's not a nickel's worth of difference between choices in our "two-party system," when you get right down to it.

I've seen numerous other posts on here--like one today, saying anybody, including Swann, but some guy in Pennsylvania I've never heard of, apparently the incumbent; and another, some time ago, saying the author was boycotting California and N.Y.--that were very politically judgmental, and loaded in favor of one "party" over the "other." Now, I take no offense at these, but I don't see why you should be telling ME to "get into political BS" at some other website.

I've never said anything like that to any of the more ideal-specific authors here, and I wouldn't dream of it unless they started making really horrific racist, anti-semitic or misogynous (I think that's the right word) remarks. But I can't take a swipe at Homeland Security, which has repealed the Constitution and is viewed with horror not only by every Western European democracy, but also by legal scholars of virtually every political stripe in this country? It's tame compared to stuff I've read here.

Of course, I know you have more juice than I do, but I don't get the point. I can show you a lot of politically biased comments on this site, and I mean ones where the specific nature of the bias is obvious, and usually it's a bias which rubs me the wrong way, but that's T.S. for me, as far as I'm concerned. I respect their rights to say what they want, as long as it's not a personal attack on me.

B.H.N.

BHN, it seems we keep on mis-comunicating here, (and it's probably my fault...) anyway, what I mean is that I applaud your efforts to stay out of the political ring on this page. I was merely suggesting that you check out ATS, specifically PTS, if you want to get into some mud-slinging.

My apologies if I insulted you here, but it was actually meant as a compliment. And BTW, I don't hold any position with this place, I just get bored a lot.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Texas LOnghorns won.My and my fellow members might have been right if they chose Tex.Hook 'em horns.Wooh go Texas.

posted on Jan, 5 2006 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut

GIBBS OLD PAL,

B.H.N.

BHN, it seems we keep on mis-comunicating here, (and it's probably my fault...) anyway, what I mean is that I applaud your efforts to stay out of the political ring on this page. I was merely suggesting that you check out ATS, specifically PTS, if you want to get into some mud-slinging.

My apologies if I insulted you here, but it was actually meant as a compliment. And BTW, I don't hold any position with this place, I just get bored a lot.

Dear Gibbs,

No problem, apology accepted. I do think the fault for this miscommunication lies at your doorstep, but you've done the manly thing about it and I 100% respect you for that. I am learning to like you more and more by the day. And I couldn't care less what your politics are. I learned a long time ago that you can't pigeon-hole people by their political beliefs.

Take me: I'm obviously a pretty hard-core Calfornia lefty, and I'm a defense attorney to boot. Anyone prone to stereotypes would assume I am opposed to the Second Amendment, or at least that I do not interpret it to give civilians the right to own firearms in times of domestic peace. All I'll tell you is that I would NOT want to be the burglar who puts that stereotype to the test by breaking into my home at 2 a.m. some morning, unless he's magically immune to double-aught magnum buckshot AND 9 mm hollow-points.

You mentioned, some time ago, that you spent a weekend "getting drunk with rednecks. With guns." But for all we know, one of those rednecks may donate bigtime to the A.C.L.U., because many conservatives used to be staunch civil libertarians in this country. Barry Goldwater, a brilliant man and the Republicans' 1964 presidential candidate, was once shamelessly and scurillously defamed as a madman who would blow up the world. But for a long time, he was correctly regarded as Mr. Conservative in this country--i.e., the leading voice of Conservative America. However, as conservative as his views generally were, he was a staunch supporter of civil liberties, and a brilliant guy with whom I sure would not have wanted to have a political debate.

So screw a bunch of political stereotyping, ya know? And, for that matter, screw the slander that Goldwater had to endure in 1964, when I was 11. He obviously wasn't a presidential candidate I would have voted for as an adult, but my god did he get slandered and libeled with a bunch of demonstrably false cr@p that year. Whatever it takes to win, huh?

IOW (and thanks for teaching me that one, BTW, Gibbs), I promise not to leap to any assumptions about your views on anything, simply because I know the general orientation of your values. In my real life, here in stereotype-driven Nor Cal, it comes as a shock to a lot of people to know I own two firearms for home protection, one of which is an absolute kick-ass weapon unless you're a grizzly bear.

And I certainly won't make any assumptions about what kind of person you, or anyone else here, are/is because of political beliefs. It's really shallow thinking, and my god can you be miles off in some cases. I have about 15 friendships which go back 25 to 30 or more years, and in many of those cases, we couldn't be any further apart than we are politically. It hasn't affected our friendships a bit. I pity those who can't get past such differences, you know?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join