It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet mapping project weaves colourful web

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
WOW!

www.newscientist.com... " target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

A project to create a comprehensive graphical representation of the internet in just one day and using only a single computer has already produced some eye-catching images.

www.newscientist.com...

[Edited on 28-11-2003 by energy_wave]

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   
LOL!

It's the matrix!

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 09:04 PM
link   
That is the World Wide Web, for sure! The electronic form of the interconnectedness of all life.
I like the images, they are beautiful.

posted on Nov, 28 2003 @ 11:57 PM
link   
www.opte.org...

For more info and big high res copies of the maps.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Oooo....wierd. Maybe less Migraine-Inducing Hypercolor(tm) next time?

DE

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 01:55 AM
link   
If that were a real map of the internet you wouldn't be able to see any lines thats how condensed it would be.

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Pretty sure it covers that in the article, sure helps to read stuff before commenting

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I'm fairly sure that it would be impossible to create a map of the ENTIRE internet from a single computer, not only because of the internet's massive size, but also of the fact that there are some "secret" places as well.

Amazing, that pic. I wonder what kind of map we'll have when they get multiple computers on the job? Or if they set up a SETI like system?

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
That's what I want to know about, the "UNknown Nodes"...

Government agencies or Alien interfaces?!
Imagine how easy it would be for an alien race, assuming they had the tech to travel accross the galaxies, to tap into the WWW and find out most everything they wanted to know about us?

Very interesting concept in my mind, i think I shall go an dwell on it for a while...

P...
m...

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 01:50 PM
link   

cool

[Edited on 29-11-2003 by HowardRoark]

posted on Nov, 29 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
That map probably only covers public IP address, not private ones like 10.x.x.x and 192.x.x.x or internal ones that companies use, so the numbers are way off. Granted all this is using the IPv4 addressing scheme, I would like to see how complex a map of the internet would get after IPv6 becomes the standard.

new topics

top topics

join