It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Bonds HR

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
As much as it nauseates me, I feel duty bound to report that the greatest baseball body chemicals can buy hit a HR tonight, in the first inning, in the HR paradise known as Coors Field.

BHN

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yea... I hadn't realized the game started, so by the time I flipped it on, the Rockies were up to bat. Two of my friends got to leave our baseball game early today because they were going up to the game. They also got out of our game yesterday to go see them. I was going to go, but i had other things to do... wish I could have gone up there.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Oh yea, and I was going to make a thread about it... but i figured that i should leave that honor to you

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Of course, they don't dare pitch him inside or they'll hit him in the head... high or low.

He'll be leading off the next inning... if his "heart palpitations" don't flare up again and put him on the bench.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
not to be too pessimistic but get ready to say goodbye to the records that were a testament to the players who accomplished them.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Kwy, you don't believe that any more than I do. We both know, and have repeatedly said to each other, that Bonds' career "records" don't mean a thing because they are the product of massive cheating... and in flagrant violation of federal law, no less. Ditto McGwire and his all-time career "record" for best HR/AB ratio.

McGwire's and Bonds' records will be a monument to them, I suppose, but not the kinds they want.

I wonder if people will remember that Bonds was, on his own legitimate merits, a truly great speed/power player. If it were up to me, people would have no trouble remembering it because he'd be the only one of that sorry @ss lot to get in the Hall of Fame.

BHN

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
How far away from the record is he now? And did he have anything to say about it being so long into the season before he got his first HR?

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
He has 709 now, 6 from passing Ruth, and 47 from passing Aaron.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Gibbs,

In his own inimitably clueless, classless way, he's repeatedly made it clear he has a real thing about Babe Ruth. When he passes 714, he'll have all sorts of trash to talk, I'm sure. Someone will have to point out to him all of those records I've listed on here which he has no prayer of passing, with or without his drugs. In fairness, though, he's got a shot at passing Ruth on a very big record--most career runs created--albeit with the same looming asterisk.

Let me add that I was NOT one of the tens upon tens of millions of Americans who were all depressed (or much worse) when Aaron passed Ruth. For one thing, I knew people would come to understand that Aaron was "only" a very steady player (never hit over 47 HR's), and that Ruth played a much shorter time because of the pitching years, and put up vastly superior numbers.

What upsets me now is that a guy who is both a flagrant cheat and the most detestible baseball superstar of my lifetime--its Terrell Owens, if you will--is going to be given credit for "passing" Ruth.

Har de har har.

BHN

Something which I'm surprised nobody ever notes about Ruth, however, is the fact he spent his first 5.25 seasons in the Dead Ball Era, and Fenway Park back then didn't have those RF bleachers, making it something like 488 to straightaway RF. If he'd had a live ball and a normal OF wall in those years, can you imagine how many more HR's he'd have hit? Enough that "Babe Ruth the pitcher," as good as he was, would have given way to "Babe Ruth the hitter" a LOT sooner.

BHN

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Kwy, you don't believe that any more than I do. We both know, and have repeatedly said to each other, that Bonds' career "records" don't mean a thing because they are the product of massive cheating... and in flagrant violation of federal law, no less. Ditto McGwire and his all-time career "record" for best HR/AB ratio.

McGwire's and Bonds' records will be a monument to them, I suppose, but not the kinds they want.

BHN

McGwire deserves the HOF as well. How many drug tests did Mark or Barry fail?

Federal law? Please. Goodby Ruth, goodbye Mays, goodbye Aaron, they all broke federal law. None of those 3 players records are any better then Bonds or McGwires.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:16 PM
link   
McGwire failed no tests... but theres no need for tests when you admit to Andro and others.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GiantsFan
McGwire failed no tests... but theres no need for tests when you admit to Andro and others.

Andro was legal when Mac took it. Hell, he had it right in his locker and the media saw it.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Don't bother arguing with Hootie over this. He thinks that making yourself into a large bridge or a small mountain range, even when it causes "heart palpitations" in what's supposed to be a supreme athlete, is no big deal and certainly no worse than violating the law EVERY adult violated in the 1920's or taking amphetamines in the 1950's/1960's.

The truth of it is that he's a huge (pun intended) Bonds fan, and nobody is going to get him to back off of his love for that blatant cheat, no matter how blatant the cheating and no matter how ludicrous the parallels between once using a corked bat or taking stimulants or drinking alcohol, and doing what Bonds and McGwire did to make themselves real-life sci-fi monsters.

Any arguments fall on deaf ears and result in non-responsive, singularly illogical non-replies. So don't bother. It's just an exercise in exasperation.

BHN

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I can relate, as I am somewhat a Bonds fan

But I know how stubborn he can be, just needed to say that no test was needed to show McGwire used enhancers.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut[/i
The truth of it is that he's a huge (pun intended) Bonds fan, and nobody is going to get him to back off of his love for that blatant cheat, no matter how blatant the cheating and no matter how ludicrous the parallels between once using a corked bat or taking stimulants or drinking alcohol, and doing what Bonds and McGwire did to make themselves real-life sci-fi monsters.

Any arguments fall on deaf ears and result in non-responsive, singularly illogical non-replies. So don't bother. It's just an exercise in exasperation.

BHN

I'm not a Bonds fan at all. But i'm not a hypocrite either.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I have to say that his latest argument is the most ridiculous one of all. Ruth--along with 95% of American adults in the 1920's--violated the Volstead Act by drinking alcohol, so Bonds' use of steroids in violation of federal law makes him no more culpable than Ruth.

Ya see, I have to conceive arguments all day long for a living, and I could no more have thought up that argument than I could sprout wings and fly.

BHN

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Breaking federal law, is breaking federal law. So if enough people break it, it's all right? By most players accounts, at least 50% of players used roids at some point. Bonds wasn't using by himself. And he has passed the drug test from 03-05, the 3 years MLB has tested under the new steroid policy. Bonds played fairly under the MLB rules that were in effect prior to 03. Federal law can punish him if they have a case, but Selig has no case on him.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Your stuff on Bonds is just laughable. Always has been; still is. You are so deep in denial that I wonder if you will ever see how much you have embarrassed yourself with your inapt analogies and various other allergies to linear thought.

But boy, do you like to look for fights. You've been blissfully absent for some time now, so I see you went digging for a juicy thread you could pick a fight with... and immediately dug this one out of archives and launched into your all-time #1 case of non-linear "thinking."

I have sworn before that I will not get involved in these pointless, extremely irritating little p*ssing matches with you. This time I'm keeping my vow. Go ahead and say that Ty Cobb killed his father (which some historians believe), and that Ruth was a contemporary of Cobb's, so therefore nobody has any right to attack Bonds on any ground. Or whatever other totally non-linear, factually insupportable absurdity you want to spew out at these people.

Both the ones who like me and the ones who don't certainly can see how much I know about baseball history. And, since they're bright people and since a 3-year-old could see through most of your "reasoning" on this stuff, it won't take long for even the new ones to dismiss this inanity.

BHN

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaseballHistoryNut
Your stuff on Bonds is just laughable. Always has been; still is. You are so deep in denial that I wonder if you will ever see how much you have embarrassed yourself with your inapt analogies and various other allergies to linear thought.

But boy, do you like to look for fights. You've been blissfully absent for some time now, so I see you went digging for a juicy thread you could pick a fight with... and immediately dug this one out of archives and launched into your all-time #1 case of non-linear "thinking."
BHN

I'm well respected at various places, so what this site thinks doesn't bother me. I didn't look for any fights. I'm not the one who made threads called

Bonds and steroids
Bonds hr

I stated facts. You guys have a right to be hypocritical. I'm just not going to stand by, and see hypocrisy run wild. Not looking for any fights. I have as much right to post here as anyone.

posted on Apr, 25 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is so hilarious. I'm just now reading a bio of Lou Gehrig. The title is taken from his famous "goodbye" speech at Yankee Stadium: "Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig." I'll try and get back here later today, after I sleep about 5 more hours, and list the zillion and one places--in N.Y.C. alone--which were openly advertised as places to get booze during "Prohibition."

And now we are supposed to say Babe Ruth is just as culpable for his incessant violations of The Volstead Act, which probably kept him from hitting 800 HR's--along with his 5+ Dead Ball Years, which kept him from 1,000--as Bonds is for violating federal laws re steroids (before he discovered HGH, a more sophisticated cheating)--to turn himself into a mountain range.

I better not think about it too much or I will laugh so hard I can never get back to sleep.]

We guys are not hypocritical. You are irrational, at best, and have made the most fall-down-and-die laughable arguments I've ever heard, in or out of court, to justify Bonds and his tainted stats.

Maybe I should never have been so honest about my feelings. Maybe I should have aligned myself with TOEJAM, who said that because there is no way to know for sure the precise point when Bonds started cheating, we should just throw out his entire career. Since Toejam had to be the most beloved figure I've met here, and probably in the history of this site (I can't imagine who'd be more so), I guess I should have just taken his opinion instead of honestly and FAIRLY giving you mine.

For you to portray yourself as the voice of reason, and the rest of us as the voice of hypocrisy, is just comical. I am so sorry my good friend IA Clonz is on a (hopefully) temporary leave. When he returns, I'll be sure to show him your Volstead Act/steroid laws rubbish.

Baseball History Nut

BHN

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join