It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: sanchez suspended for steroid use

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   
tampa bay outfielder alex sanchez has been suspended for 10 games for testing positive for steroids, he is the first player to be suspended under baseball's new drug policy, he has denied the charges, the team has no comment...

sports.yahoo.com...;_ylc=X3o'___'BpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-drugs-sanchez&prov=ap&type=lgns

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

NEW YORK -- Tampa Bay outfielder Alex Sanchez won't appeal his 10-day suspension for violating baseball's steroids policy.

Sanchez, the first player penalized under the tougher rules put in place last month, made his decision Thursday, four days after he was suspended by commissioner Bud Selig.

"As Alex has explained, he did not knowingly take any banned substance," said Michael Weiner, general counsel of the Major League Baseball Players Association. "We respect Alex's decision to forgo an appeal, and he has our full support."

Source Link

posted on Apr, 20 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Will they ever learn???

Texas Rangers minor league pitcher Agustin Montero was suspended for 10 days Wednesday, becoming the third player to test positive under major league baseball's new steroids policy.

Source: ESPN

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
They will never learn because they wan't to be winners. They will do it whatever the cost as they just don't have the natural talent.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yes, but winning with unnatural aids isn't really winning, is it? Cheating is just cheating yourself, and the loss is felt by everyone.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Players from Spanish-speaking countries are getting tripped up by baseball's steroids policy at a disproportionate rate, raising concerns that they don't understand the rules on banned substances -- including over-the-counter supplements bought back home.

More than half the players suspended for positive tests at both the major and minor league levels were born in Latin America, according to a review of their birth places by The Associated Press. By comparison, about a quarter of players on opening-day major league rosters were born in Spanish-speaking countries.

source

ESPN

[Edited on 5/4/2005 by Gibbs Baby!!!]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I just saw this too.

Pitching guru House details own steroid use in '60s, '70s

Former major league pitcher Tom House used steroids during his career and said performance-enhancing drugs were widespread in baseball in the 1960s and 1970s, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Tuesday.

source

ESPN

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   
he didn't "knowingly" take a banned substance? What a crock of $hit they all say that.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gibbs Baby!!!
Players from Spanish-speaking countries are getting tripped up by baseball's steroids policy at a disproportionate rate, raising concerns that they don't understand the rules on banned substances -- including over-the-counter supplements bought back home.

Sorry, I'm not buying that. :angry-smiley-034:

They know enough of the language to cash their paycheck though.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I was with you at first. But, if they can legally purchase these substances at home, then there may be somethign to this. Although, I would put the onus on the union to ensure that all members understnad the policy, it is not the leagues responsibility.

posted on May, 18 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sportzwriter
David Ortiz observed that a large number of Latin players are getting caught in the drug testing program and said that it might be a good idea for baseball to communicate with these Latin players in Spanish to be sure they understood what they can and cannot take. Obviously, he is right at a certain level; explaining the rules of some game or some set of processes is best done in the language best understood by the people you are talking to. However, I would not get carried away with the importance here because it seems as if Latin players have no difficulty understanding on their own - or finding someone to translate for them - those aspects of the game that relate to "guaranteed contract of $20M over the next three seasons"... Yes, MLB should take an extra step and find a way to communicate with these players in their native tongue, but "language barriers" cannot be an acceptable defense to absolve these players of blame.

yeah, they can find an agent who will get them the huge contract and translate it for him. But, after he gets his cash in pocket, what differeence does it make to him if the guy gets busted for steroids? The agent got his already.

I'm just saying, the laws are different for these guys when they get back to thier home countries, and no one is there to explain these differences to them, so yeah, I can understand them being confused.

It's like when I have my clients (farmers) sign contracts with the government. I have thier best interests in mind, but they don't always know what it is that they are signing. Unfrotunate, but true. And there isn't a language barrier involved.

Does that make sense now?

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
i fthe olympics can translate their drug policy into a gazillion languages and have it understood by most i don't see why baseball has a problem getting theirs into spanish, it is the players responibility to know and understand the policy, if they don't they should ask questions, they have no one to blame but themselves

top topics

join