It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: A's keep chavez

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The Oakland Athletics finally kept one of their young stars, signing third baseman Eric Chavez to a six-year contract extension believed to be worth $66 million -- the biggest contract in franchise history.

Chavez, a three-time Gold Glove winner and the AL's top power-hitting third baseman last season, would have been a free agent next winter. But instead of allowing Chavez to leave as MVPs Jason Giambi and Miguel Tejada did before him, Oakland spent the cash necessary to retain some of its impressive array of young talent.

"It's a real honor standing here, considering the guys that have gone by, and I'm the one standing here," Chavez said. "It's kind of unbelievable, really. ... I'm grateful that they see me as a centerpiece."

The deal, announced Thursday, includes a $12.5 million club option for 2011 with a $3 million buyout. Chavez will make $5.2 million this year.

Last season, Chavez led the A's with 29 homers and finished second to Tejada with 101 RBIs. Both totals were tops among AL third basemen. He also led the A's with a .282 average -- hitting .313 after the All-Star break -- while establishing career highs with 166 hits, 94 runs and five triples.

"In my opinion, with all due respect to Mr. Rolen in St. Louis, this is the best third baseman in baseball," A's general manager Billy Beane said to Chavez. "You're going to make us all look very bright over the next few years."

He has 134 homers over his first five major league seasons, establishing himself as a consistent run-producer while surviving the growing pains of breaking into the majors at 20. A first-round pick in 1996, he hit 26 homers in 2000, his first full major-league season.

"If you (consider) all the guys we've lost, I don't want to put that pressure on Eric yet, but I think he's got more upside," A's manager Ken Macha said. "I think Eric has got another level."

In addition to Giambi and Tejada, the small-market, small-budget A's have been unable to re-sign free agents Johnny Damon, Keith Foulke or Jason Isringhausen, to name a few. Others, such as Ramon Hernandez or Billy Koch, were traded before their salaries became prohibitive.

But Chavez and his agent, former A's pitcher Dave Stewart, told Beane and owner Steve Schott that to stay in Oakland, Chavez would take less money than he probably could make on the open market. In exchange, Chavez got one of just three contracts of six years or longer given out since last season: Tejada and St. Louis' Albert Pujols also signed long-term deal.

It also was a big day for Schott, who has been criticized by Oakland fans for keeping the A's on a tight budget and allowing Giambi and Tejada to leave.

"I guess the third time's the charm," Schott said. "Eric is the kind of person we want to keep around here for the long-term. We are definitely out here to keep quality players."

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
i have to say most fans arnt going ot be happy with teh A's putting up big bucks to a player.

TRD

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well after letting Giambi and Tedjada go i think this was a good move to keep hold of one of their stars.I know its big money but if you are ambitious and want to win this is what you have to do.

Ben

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think that Tedjada and Giambi wanted to leave

TRD

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ben
I think that Tedjada and Giambi wanted to leave

Tedjada didn't WANT to leave,they wouldn't pay the money for him..

Not too sure about Giambi,but i'm sure if they offered him big bucks aswell he would have stayed.

Ben

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Tedjada didnt have that great of a season last year as well, could be he wasnt playing for the money which was sad. But its true. Sorry TRD my mistake

TRD

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Yeah i was gutted when Tedjada left he was my favourite player...

Ben

posted on Mar, 19 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hopefully he will have a better season this year, the A's should be fine this season if there pitching does the same as past seasons

new topics

top topics

join