It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Yankees, selfish, overpaid, overrated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I hate the Yankees, there witht hat established I can also say that it is unfair the way that the leauge just lets them buy every #ing player on the market. If they wanted they culd just buy off all the comaption. And what is worse is they are only getting larger. It is not going to get better... the Yankees will most likley wint he world serries if Boone gets off his overpaid ass. All I am is saying is the Yankees need either to have a cap put on their budget; which must be lower than it is now. Just some facts: the Yankees payroll is 153 million, that is 133 million more than the Devil Rays. The closest team is 35 million behind.
Bottom line it is disguting that the Yankees can buy whoever, whenever. Their budget is only going up so it is only going to get worst.

(I'm sorry, I've posted it in the 'non-sports' section. If I could be moved it would be great
)

[Edited on 04/10/03 by samfoshaw]

Ben

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The Yankees are great cause of their surroundings and supporters who are willing to go out and see them play in the Bronk. if they supporters didn't show up the yankees owuldnt be as great as they are. Maybe if some of the fans go out and see their ball-club play on a daily basis they can start to rank up where teh yankees are. Also you have to count into effect that some teams arnt willing to deal out the big bucks.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
how are they selfish?

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
They are [bold] mostly selfish becasue of how they do not share their money witht he rest of the league. Don't get me wrong i don't believe tey should just go and give some of their top player's away, I do think though that a team with that much money and a corner on the market so to speak should help teams like the Expos or the MLB in general.

Ben

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by samfoshaw
selfish becasue of how they do not share their money witht he rest of the league.

They do share money the pay millions to other teams in the league with the luxury taxes.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben

selfish becasue of how they do not share their money witht he rest of the league.

They do share money the pay millions to other teams in the league with the luxury taxes.

yes but don't most teams with a certin teams have to pay that tax, I mean the yankees have the highest payroll by almost 40 million dollars!

Ben

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
if you are over a certain amount of money you pay the tax, and most teams dont pay the tax cause they are well under.

posted on Feb, 20 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Just some facts: the Yankees payroll is 153 million, that is 133 million more than the Devil Rays. The closest team is 35 million behind.

Not to be picky, only makes your case stronger. The Yankees payroll is actually $186 million and the next highest is the RedSox at $129 million, "only" $57 million behind. Ridiculous.

dugoutdollars.blogspot.com...

Recent article:

The major league payrolls of the Kansas City Royals, Milwaukee Brewers, Montreal Expos and Tampa Bay Devil Rays in 2003 were a combined $173,284,039, according to MLB.com.

The New York Yankees' 2004 payroll will be approximately $200 million.

There's something seriously, seriously wrong here.

With the Yankees' acquisition of Alex Rodriguez, the Yankees have once again driven home a point most people have long ago conceded, that the concept of competitive balance in baseball is just that: a concept, not a reality.

As long as the Yankees have the biggest bankroll - which they will as long as baseball retains its every-team-for-itself financial structure - and as long as George Steinbrenner is ruthlessly willing to wield that bankroll like a cudgel, the Yankees will remain baseball's lone superpower.

To put it another way, the Alex Rodriguez deal makes it clear: baseball has two choices, a structure where there's the Yankees and everyone else, or one where the Yankees are in with everyone else. For the long-term health of the game, it should be obvious which choice is the preferable one.

Rest of the article:

www.tcpalm.com...

It's worth reading if this recent downgrade of baseball upsets you. The writer also discusses the salary cap and revenue sharing as possible solutions.

[Edited on 20-2-2004 by ProudAmerican]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I don't really care how much money they spend....look what teams have won the last three world series...the Angels, Marlins, and Diamondbacks....three small market teams (well the Angels were small market until this year
)

This just goes to show that you dont have to have a 130+ million dollar payroll to have a good chance of winning.

[Edited on 04/10/03 by Cannon]

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
The Yankees are starting to look like this coming years all star team. I keep hearing talk of people saying how they have such a good offense and they will win the series this year. What about their pitching? The lost art of baseball since steroids came to baseball. They lost Andy Pettite and Roger Clemons I think, and I'm not too sure of David Wells. They lost their heart of pitchers, they still have Mariano Rivera, but he's only good for the last 3 innings in the game. I will go for the longshot and say they will be as good as last year but won't make it to the series.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
They lost Pettite, Clemens, AND Wells, although I think they made a couple of nice acquisitions as well....Kevin Brown of course, but they stole my man Quantrill from the Dodgers (great reliever)

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I agree, they made a couple pretty deals to replace Clemens, Pettite, and Wells. They don't add up to the skill levels of those three, the new people are average compared to those guys.

Ben

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
The Newer players wil do enough in the post-season to win games, and that is all the yankees need. If their pitchers hold them to 4 or 5 runs a game the yankees could still win with their ability to put runs on the board.

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cannon
They lost Pettite, Clemens, AND Wells, although I think they made a couple of nice acquisitions as well....Kevin Brown of course, but they stole my man Quantrill from the Dodgers (great reliever)

Not only did their pitching staff acquire Kevin Brown and Paul Quantrill, but they got one of the best young arms in the game IMO in Javier Vazquez from the Expos.

Did you know?

The Yankees' projected rotation -- Mike Mussina, Kevin Brown, Jose Contreras, Jon Lieber and Javier Vazquez -- is all right-handed. New York hasn't gone with an all-righty rotation since 1992, and hasn't made the postseason with one in 57 years, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

Did you know, pt 2?

In the last 26 years, the only Yankees third baseman to hit 30 home runs in a season is Mike Pagliarulo in 1987.

I'll bet that ARod kills that stat.

Ben

posted on Feb, 21 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Yea he will, you think he will hit 50?

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
sorry i think there needs to be a salary cap! if you get right down to it if i ran it every player would have a base sasary and then you would get a bonus for thinge you do hr,wins,rbis i get paid for what i do and it makes you put a little more into it!!!! just a thought!!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
the thing is that not having the slaray cap makes baseball what it is... i wouldnt like to see every sport follow the same rules would you

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawkeye8424
the thing is that not having the slaray cap makes baseball what it is... i wouldnt like to see every sport follow the same rules would you

The thing is here that the Yankees have cornered the market. By winning the number of world series they did in the past year their budegt has skyrocketed and they just keep on winning. I heard it from a friend once tha tthe Yankees buy their talent and other team grow it. That is just the way sports work...

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i like that!!!! i was rooting for florida and arizona i am so tired of them trying buying the best what happen to the guys who stayed with a team because they wanted to play there for the city not go where the money is. i am a huge cards fan but the deal with albert i was not for i know he is good but hay now come on they are going to be anouther texas in a couple years if he was for the city and the team take 1/2 or even 1/3 of 100 million and let them go get some pitching they have one of the best offences in baseball but look at last year pitching killed them!!! i did not aprove of the a-rod trade either sorry but i really hope boston wins the easti am for the underdogs i know not everyone will agree but that is why we are here!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
i think the only way basseball will survive as a major sport is by implementing a salary cap....people are getting turned off by the prices of tickets and cannot afford to go to the games, football has an 8 game home season, baseball 81, they need to make baseball the family game it has always been again, football and basketball both have salary caps and i don't see any of the players starving...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join