It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

M16 may be in trouble

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is a shocker....Yikes!
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20031122/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_goodbye_m_16

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Link does not work. Please fix it.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20031122/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_goodbye_m_16

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Consequently, the M-4 is an unlikely candidate for the rearming of the U.S. Army. It is now viewed as an interim solution until the introduction of a more advanced design known as the Objective Individual Combat Weapon, or OICW.

There is no date set for the entry into service of the OICW, but officers in Iraq say they expect its arrival sooner than previously expected because of the problems with the M-16 and the M-4.

Its about time, but I thought the military dropped the OICW project.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:30 PM
link   
No they have not. It should be out in a few years.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
What do ya think will replace it though,if it truly happens?G36?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Nice find man i havent hear this before. What will they do with all of the m16 now?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Nice find man i havent hear this before. What will they do with all of the m16 now?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
First i hear of it too Firebird.I figured it'd still have at least another decade of service life left before a replacment would be considered.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The M-16 has been on its way out for a while. As the GWII veteran said, it was the last nail for the coffin. Here are some good links about its possible replacement, the OICW:
www.fas.org...
"Objective Individual Combat Weapon (OICW) will be a light weight weapon capable of firing kinetic energy projectiles and an air-bursting fragmentation munition. It will allow soldiers to effectively attack targets at greater ranges, and to attack targets in defilade. It combines leading edge technologies in miniaturized fuzing; integrated fire control; light weight, high strength materials; and munitions effects. OICW will increase the lethality and survivability of the individual soldier. It is the sole lethality component of the Dismounted Battle Lab's 21st Century Land Warrior (21 CLW) Top Level Demonstration."
www.hkpro.com...
Has lots of pictures.
www.dean.usma.edu...
Basic site
www.popularmechanics.com...
Popular Mechanics Article

In a nutshell:
-looks really futuristic
-M29
-Cal. 5.56mm x 45/20mm
-I think about 30 inches long, not sure though.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Super cool.Gonna hafta trim a few pounds off though.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I for one find this shocking, as the M-16A2 is an absolute gem.

But at the same time, I guess it would've happened sooner or later. The M-16 is quite a complicated machine and the fact that until recently it hasn't been widely used in combat shows the problems wouldn't be seen unless they fire A LOT of rounds.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Man, I wouldn't want to cary that bulky thing around. An M-4 and scope will do just fine!!

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Often the problem is using the wrong weapon for the job which many here at ATS very correctly discussed before.

If this weapon is that old then it needs to be rethought for sure but it may be useful in other roles still.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 07:59 PM
link   
The OICW should turn out fine. Yes, it is on the bulky side, but look at what it comes with:

1) Assault Rifle
2) attached to the assault rifle (underneath) is a handgun
3) Underneath that is a knife
4) Flashlight on top of the assault rifle
5) Laser pointing device on top of the assault rifle
6) Scope

It all comes in one, and they all can come apart, they click together. I for one, am all for this project. Go OICW!

-wD

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:08 PM
link   
All the bells and whistles are nice but, believe me after being in full battle rattle for a year straight, that thing would get on your nerves. As long as it shoots accurately and doesn't jam it's fine. If they want to go with HK they should go with like the MP-5 or something. Small and fully auto....or other models in 308 and 9 mil.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:20 PM
link   
try this HK on for size
www.goingfaster.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I am pretty sure that the regular soldier will get the rifle par of the OICW and fewer soldiers will get the 20mm part. It will be like the heavy machine gunner.

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well here is the replacement for the old 50cal. Pretty cool eh?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join