It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamists At War With Ethiopia

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
This is it, the last naton on Earth with out a structured government is now being taken, and forcefully going to be disarmed. Right in time for the new year. If anything biblical is gong to happen, it may just start this year.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
This is it, the last naton on Earth with out a structured government is now being taken, and forcefully going to be disarmed. Right in time for the new year. If anything biblical is gong to happen, it may just start this year.

Who's to say that it hasn't been going on for the past several decades? You do know that all of this isn't just something that happened "willy-nilly", don't you? This is the results of a conglomeration of several linked incidents over the course of the past 100 years. It's only now beginning to resonate with the rest of the world. Things are changing, and changing fast. Here's to hoping we can keep up.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg This is the results of a conglomeration of several linked incidents over the course of the past 100 years. It's only now beginning to resonate with the rest of the world. Things are changing, and changing fast.

This does show some of what you are saying, and some of the latest information.

Regional diplomats worked to arrange the speedy deployment of African peacekeepers to help the interim government establish its authority in the country, which has known anarchy for 15 years.

"There is a power vacuum already," said Omar, 29. "Everybody has taken his own weapons back. How can the government say it's in control?"

Fighters belonging to a militant Islamist movement fled Monday into a rugged, forested corner of Somalia from rapidly advancing government forces. Prime Minister Ali Mohamed Gedi offered amnesty if they surrendered.
tribune

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Ethiopia and Somalia to be ONE Nation (in theory)

Somalia’s internal affairs minister and assistant prime Minster, Hussein Mohammed Farah Aideed, who has convened with tribal elders at former presidential house (Villa Somalia) in Mogadishu, said his government intends to wipe out the boundaries between Somalia and Ethiopia.

Husein Aideed
He said 60% of 2 millions Somali refugees live in Ethiopia and use Ethiopian passports. “Ethiopia and Somalia have 2,000 kilometers between them. The two Shabelle and Jubba rivers in Somalia come from Ethiopia. Now we need to eliminate the boundaries between us because we are brothers, and we will use one passport”, he said.

Now I am almost definetly sure the Somali people will take peace and stability after an unending life of hardship. Is this the appropriate way to go about it though? In essence Somalia will now become an annexed land to Ethiopia. I suppose it will be for the better though. United lands thrive better than divided lands.

[edit on 1/2/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Dyepes,
That is a nice find, thanks. However I just don't see it happening quite like that. I previous news stories it said that the Ethiopians were seen as invaders. I just don't see the Somalia citizens taking to them kindly least of which would be the Islamists. Also the Islamists could use the fact that the Ethiopians are not wanted to build there ranks.
At this point I think the tribal leaders in Somalia want the Ethiopians there because they will fight the Islamists, so if there is an agreement between the two countries, that will keep the current government of Somalia in power, that is what will happen.
I do agree that after 15 years of war that peace will now be a far better alternative and far more productive. I just have little faith that the people behind the scenes who pull the strings of the jackals will let it happen.

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The ones pulling the strings right now are the Ethiopians, hence the presence of thousdands of troops in control of all the major urban centers and strategicaly located villages. Do not forget that the government is now saying that if the citizens do not turn in their weapons in three days, they will begin taking them by force.

Even the US let Iraqi citizens keep their firearms. So what is going on here?

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Even the US let Iraqi citizens keep their firearms. So what is going on here?

Maybe they've learned from Iraq? They've seen what happens when the citizens get to keep their firearms, and don't want to make the same mistake? Just a thought...

posted on Jan, 2 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Perhaps. After all Ethiopia is not mass bombing the place, not that it would make it look any different as dilapadated as their infrastructure already is. Well when wars happened, lessons are learned and passed down to the next. Lets pray this occupation ends soon with as little bloodshed as possible.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:04 AM
link   

The ones pulling the strings right now are the Ethiopians, hence the presence of thousdands of troops in control of all the major urban centers and strategicaly located villages. Do not forget that the government is now saying that if the citizens do not turn in their weapons in three days, they will begin taking them by force.

Yes that is true, but what I was more referring to was the ones pulling the strings against a lasting peace. It was said above that the Ethiopians could keep peace in the country. Something which Somalia had not seen in fifteen years. Even if the majority of the citizens of Somalia want that there will be enough trouble makers with the right backing not to let that happen. In my opinion only.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The fighting is moveing closer to Kenya now. I asked before what Kenya will do should the fighting reach its border. Hear is some news from a border town.

MOGADISHU, Jan 3 (Reuters) - Gunfire rattled near Somalia's border with Kenya early on Wednesday as Ethiopian warplanes backing the Somali government streaked overhead in pursuit of its fleeing Islamist rivals.

The Islamists, who withdrew from their last stronghold on Monday after two weeks of war, rejected a government amnesty offer after disappearing into hills between the port of Kismayu and the long frontier with Kenya.

And in the same artcle it said this.

"No armed individual or group can enter our country or be allowed to compromise its security," he said. "We shall stop them, arrest them and, if necessary, fight them."
Reuters

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Kenya has just been scolded for turning away "refugees", which is illegal in international law.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Kenya has just been scolded for turning away "refugees", which is illegal in international law.

What good is scolding them going to do? It's certainly not going to do anything good. The only thing I can see happening here is Kenya getting ticked off by the whole mess, and just opting out altogether, which in a way I guess they already did.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Any of those refugees could have been an islamist fighter also.
I can see that they don't want to war to come to there country, although be it on that point resistance may be futile.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Umm what the hell happened? All the posts are gone, I cannot see a thing.

Ok all back to normal. See you talk about Ethiopians beign able to hold the peace, but the Islamists were doing just that until they were virtually destroyed by a superior military. That group, which happenes to be comprised of native Somalis, percieved the Ethiopians as a threat by what they said was an invasion. The biggest mistake they made was attacking a superior adversary, whether or not it was the proper thing to do.

What would the difference had been if the Ethiopians had attacked first? Would the population still have abandoned the Islamists, or would they have joined together in large numbers?

Well Either way, it probably will not be too long before this country of Somalia has a Central bank that will be reporting to the Bank of International Settlements.

[edit on 1/3/2007 by DYepes]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Umm what the hell happened? All the posts are gone, I cannot see a thing.

Same thing happened to me Dyepes, I closed out and reloaded and the posts were there again.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hear is the latest again.

GARISSA, Kenya (Reuters) - Kenyan soldiers and helicopters bolstered defenses at the Somali border on Wednesday to stop fighting from spilling over after Ethiopian warplanes attacked fleeing Islamists on the other side of the frontier.

Kenya sealed the border after Somalia's interim government urged it to stop leaders of the Somalia Islamic Courts Council (SICC) or foreign jihadist supporters escaping.

Seeking to block the escape of Islamist leaders by sea, the United States said its forces were deployed off the Horn of Africa nation's coast.

Reuters

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheBorg

What good is scolding them going to do? It's certainly not going to do anything good. The only thing I can see happening here is Kenya getting ticked off by the whole mess, and just opting out altogether, which in a way I guess they already did.

TheBorg

Hey, I'm not the one doing the scolding, merely reporting what had happened. Notice I also used the word refugees in " ", as I too agree that there could be escaping Islamists in amongst them.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Hey, I'm not the one doing the scolding, merely reporting what had happened. Notice I also used the word refugees in " ", as I too agree that there could be escaping Islamists in amongst them.

I'm still trying to figure out why this isn't being covered on the news stations. I'm not seeing anything on any channels about it. Strange, to say the least.

TheBorg

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Here is one snippet:

Kenya has deployed tanks and helicopters on its border, as militias fleeing south clashed near the border with Somali and Ethiopian troops.

Foreign Minister Raphael Tuju told a news conference that the border was closed, but government spokesman Alfred Mutua later told the BBC that legitimate refugees were being allowed entry.

"We are conducting very thorough and rigorous security vetting to ensure that we don't get people coming in carrying weapons, people coming in who are Islamists," he said.

"And so that is causing delays, but we are making sure that everyone who comes in as a refugee... we are driving them to a camp within Kenya which is run by the United Nations."

Mr Mutua denied reports that 600 Somali refugees, mainly women and children, had been deported from the border transit camp at Liboi.

A spokeswoman for the UN refugee agency UNHCR said they had been denied access to the camp by Kenyan authorities, but witnesses had reported Somalis being deported in government trucks.

Source - BBC

If in doubt, Borg, go to the BBC. I don't trust any other News outlet to be so forthcoming about all the facts.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Here is another, better story:

BBC - Kenyans close border with Somalia

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join