It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Or I'll Sue!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
After reading through a few other threads I became a little miffed with all of this suing going on. Everywhere you look, it's this one is suing that one for X amount of money. What ever happened to letting your kids be adventurous? Letting them fall down at school and getting a fat lip, or playing football over at his friend Billy's house and winding up with a black eye? What happened to boys will be boys? When did it become the social norm to sue your "friends" when you slip and fall on snow in their driveway? It's like whenever something bad happens to someone the immediate response is that "someones gonna pay". What ever happened to that old saying "stuff happens"? SHEESH!

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Oh goodness, I couldn't agree more. Did you hear about that mother who had her kid arrested for opening up a Christmas present early?

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Legend
Oh goodness, I couldn't agree more. Did you hear about that mother who had her kid arrested for opening up a Christmas present early?

How exactly do they do that? In America, the police would just say that the kid hasn't broken any laws so they can't arrest him.

posted on Dec, 22 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Frivolous lawsuits are way out of control. Everbody is looking for the easy buck.

One way to slow them down is to make the person that sues pay for the costs of the defense, if they lose.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
ive been trying to tell you guys! the new world order is coming to a city near you!

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:33 PM
link   
the nwo is never coming to my town but the suing is freaking ridcoulous

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracymaster
ive been trying to tell you guys! the new world order is coming to a city near you!
no its not sueing sucks

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
............. no its not sueing sucks

Yeah!! She is very good at it. Ph. sue - sucks , leave a message.

****This was a public service announcement ***********

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 04:17 AM
link   
What a world we live in. We can sue others for our own stupidity and clumsiness!

I know of a guy who tripped over the escalators at the shopping mall, fell over and stabbed himself with his keys. He sued the mall and was granted 22k. Crazy stuff.

posted on Dec, 24 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I agree, this is new. Why say to sue someone it's like the coffee incident the one person sued for spilling hot coffee on her skin and as a result needed skin grafts and needed to sue for lots of money and it's like that because the result of the case was that mcdonalds had to put a hot coffee label on their coffees.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Frivolous lawsuits are way out of control. Everbody is looking for the easy buck.

One way to slow them down is to make the person that sues pay for the costs of the defense, if they lose.

[edit on 22-12-2006 by jsobecky]

Another way would be to eliminate the practice of lawyers billing clients based on a percentage of the judgment. In some countries, this is illegal while it is fairly common in the US.

People will not sue others as often if they had to pay their lawyer regardless of whether they won their case or not. Lawyers will be less likely to take cases if they can only bill based on the hours they work and not on a percentage of a "jackpot", could only charge a rate their client will be able to afford considering the likelihood that many of their clients will lose or get small judgments.

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 10:08 PM
link   
wildcat

How exactly do they do that? In America, the police would just say that the kid hasn't broken any laws so they can't arrest him.

It happened in America, Pennsylvania if I remember correctly.

Anyway, it makes me sick how willing people are to sue, and not just corporations and large institutions, but their own friends.

:shk:

The Justice system should not be about money. Will money undo the harm done? Will it bring back the kid or unbreak the bone or fix the pothole or otherwise rectify the situation? No.

I can understand bringing suit to cover medical expenses (which are OUTRAGEOUS), but past that it's just easy money to these people. Pain and suffering? My ass...

Life is pain, get used to it and stop trying to cheat your way into the easy life at someone else's expense, or, alternately, check out and leave the world to those who understand a little something about it, and their place in it.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
There are times when someone has done something really bad and deserves to be punished with a large judgment. The problem with the justice system is that judges and juries do not seem to grasp what exactly *really bad* should mean and what exactly an appropriate large judgement should be. For example, if a company caused thousands of children to die a slow, painful death, this would be *really bad* and should be punished with a large judgement. On the other hand, if a company caused two children to have their feelings hurt and it ruined their birthday party, then the company should not be punished.

I am a law school student, BTW, yet I find how the law works to be disturbing as it has deviated further from its roots. Six hundred years ago, there were only five torts: assault (creating the apprehension of bodily contact), battery (causing harmful or offensive bodily contact), trespass to land, tresspass to chatels (messing with people's things), and false imprisonment. All these required the defendant to act intentionally. You could only sue for those five offenses and nothing else. Negligence was later added, and it covered damages to people and property that were caused by lack of care. This seems to make sense as it originally covered accidents that the original five torts did not cover. After all, if a bus driver causes a bunch of children to die because he falls asleep at the wheel, it would be propper for him to be sued. The part where the law lost me is when it comes to emotional injuries. Here someone can sue for having their feelings hurt. The tort was originally created when some guy in the garbage collection industry was threatened with violence. This threat of violence was not covered by assault. This seems to make sense, but this tort has been extended to all sorts of areas like the Black guys Kramer yelled at in the nightclub having a suit, sexual harassment cases involving some guy telling a semi-dirty joke on two occasions, etc.

new topics

top topics

join