It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can US law enforcement culture combat terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You cannot rely on your typical local police officer to bust an Al Qaida cell. To be frank, he does not have the courage, intelligence, or skill to do so. His job is to hand out traffic tickets or perhaps orchestrate a sting operation against otherwise law abiding citizens in some back alley over prostitution. On the federal level, millions of dollars are being spent on "homeland security," but are we any safer. Are we not just throwing money at the wealthy friends of congressmen and presidents so they can pay some schmuck $25,000 a year to give your grandma grief about the tweezers she has in her carry on?

Your thoughts

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Your thoughts

Honestly.....'stfu' comes to mind

Sounds like someone got a ticket on the way home from work.

To be frank, he does not have the courage, intelligence, or skill to do so

How so?

pay some schmuck $25,000 a year to give your grandma grief about the tweezers she has in her carry on?

You don't think there should be airport security?

[edit on 19/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
THIS WHOLE HOMELAND SECURITY IS A JOKE. the government planned 9/11. HOMELAND SECURITY is bull#. if they gave a # about the american people 9/11 wouldnt have been planned by the nwo

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:03 PM
link   
kristol, and all these other jewish last names. The jew's are using their "white" colored skin to gain hold of the "white" american government.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dunkindonuts
kristol, and all these other jewish last names. The jew's are using their "white" colored skin to gain hold of the "white" american government.

hahahaah i so hope thats sarcasm. sorry for the one liner

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

THIS WHOLE HOMELAND SECURITY IS A JOKE. the government planned 9/11. HOMELAND SECURITY is bull#. if they gave a # about the american people 9/11 wouldnt have been planned by the nwo

The DOH was not yet a department at the time of 9/11/2001. It was formed a couple weeks after. So how is the DOH responsible for the terrorist attacks on 9/11?

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

The DOH was not yet a department at the time of 9/11/2001. It was formed a couple weeks after. So how is the DOH responsible for the terrorist attacks on 9/11?

Nobody is saying DOH caused 9-11, but what we are saying is that the DOH is doing little if anything to prevent another 9-11. We all know that is DOH is very good at spending money and better security is needed, but is better security being provided? The level of security in US airports is nothing like the level of security in airports like Tel Aviv where they have their act together.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

Your thoughts

Honestly.....'stfu' comes to mind

Sounds like someone got a ticket on the way home from work.

To be frank, he does not have the courage, intelligence, or skill to do so

How so?

pay some schmuck $25,000 a year to give your grandma grief about the tweezers she has in her carry on?

You don't think there should be airport security?

I was given a ticket once by a cop that laid in wait hiding behind some bushes trying to get people on rolling stops at a stop sign on a lightly traveled street. Two days after I got that ticket, my mother was robbed at gunpoint. The cops told her that they would probably never catch the robber or retrieve her property because they were "too busy." Just think of all the law enforcement resources that are wasted catching people doing rolling stops, consenting adults having sex with money being exchanged, and other petty "crimes" that could be or could have been used to capture terrorist cells.

Airport security is necessary, but the US is spending a lot of money on "extra security" and extra security is not being provided. Go through security at an airport like Tel Aviv in Israel if you want to see real good security. They probably do their security at a fraction of the cost, too.

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   

I was given a ticket once by a cop that laid in wait hiding behind some bushes trying to get people on rolling stops at a stop sign on a lightly traveled street.

As opposed to what?.....being in the open with a neon sign that reads "slow down, I'm a cop"

Ofcourse they hide....noone ever does anything illegal in front of a cops face

Two days after I got that ticket, my mother was robbed at gunpoint. The cops told her that they would probably never catch the robber or retrieve her property because they were "too busy."

Probably because it's pretty hard to catch muggers. There's no evidence to go off of. Also, not saying the dude should not be caught, but depending on the size of the town the police probaly need to direct their officers and assets towards more 'serious' offenses that stand a chance of being cracked.

Just like hit and run (property, not people), it's too time consuming to send out a search party for one car that will probably never be found.....unless it's a small po-dunk town and they have nothing better to do.

Just think of all the law enforcement resources that are wasted catching people doing rolling stops,

That's a pretty selfish statement. Think of all the LIVES being saved by catching drunk drivers and serious speeders who run a high risk of killing themselves and others. That cop behind the bushes probably indirectly saves more lives than you think.

Just like most civilized countries, we have to enforce the small things because if not they would all add up.

consenting adults having sex with money being exchanged,

I agree, prostitution is a legitimate profession, imo.

and other petty "crimes" that could be or could have been used to capture terrorist cells.

Local cops enforce the petty "crimes", the feds (for the most part) take care of all the terrorist cells and threats to national security, etc... Again, we can't overlook the small things because they will add up and become more of a problem than AQ and OBL could ever dream of being.

Airport security is necessary, but the US is spending a lot of money on "extra security" and extra security is not being provided.

What do you mean by extra security?

Go through security at an airport like Tel Aviv in Israel if you want to see real good security.

Israel is more "physical" when it comes to security, intelligence, CI, etc...
The UK and US rely more on technology....it's a culture thing, imo. Also, having a few extra TSA officers is a huge set back to anyone planning an attack.

So you would rather have US soldiers walking around the airport with uzi's? What do you mean by extra security and what would you change about it?

They probably do their security at a fraction of the cost, too.

Spend 75 dollars for a screw that you can find at wal-mart for .05 cents.....that's the American (gov't) way

Nobody is saying DOH caused 9-11,

You used a past tense "9/11 wouldnt have been planned by the nwo", but it's cool...I know what you meant

[edit on 20/12/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Dec, 23 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I think you miss my point. Police officers and law enforcement are spending a great deal of time busting people for petty crimes. The number of lives that can be saved handing out petty tickets is minimal compared to the number of lives that can be saved and harm that can be prevented by busting rapists, murderers, muggers, and terrorists. It is unacceptable for a police department to be "too busy" to pursue a man who is mugging 65 year old ladies at gunpoint, but seems to have the time to catch people who are doing rolling stops on lightly traveled roads. (BTW I see cops camping out on this road almost every day of the week.)

We know the practice of handing out tickets has little to do with safety and everything to do with revenues. Of course, chasing muggers is difficult and involves an element of danger that handing out tickets to good people does not involve. The police are supposedly ***professionals*** who are supposedly trained and paid to do hard things. It is this culture of aversion to risk and difficult tasks that permeates American law enforcement and hampers its ability to do anything about terrorism. Anybody can give an old lady a hard time about tweezers in her carry on, or shove some bags into some multi-million dollar baggage scanning machine. It takes courage, persistance, and intelligence to stop *real* terrorists. Qualities US Law enforcement, as a whole, is lacking.

new topics

top topics

join