It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK, is this a problem?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I live in Southern Ontario, we often get snow on Halloween. We have had only 1 snow event(hell, you couldn't even call it a storm) about 3 inches(all measurements in Imperial) and it disappeared in a few days. It's a week before Christmas and while we have had "green" Christmas' in the past, the temperatures have me a little worried. We are going down to a frigid 30 degrees tonight.

Over the weekend we had the jet stream coming out of the north, the daytime temps. was in the low to high 40's. We are coming up on the shortest day of the year, 3 days, is it going to get to the point that it starts warming up? I mean, NO winter?

Sorry, this isn't a topic that I'm familliar with, my first thread in this forum I believe, but I find this a little worrisome.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
To put it into some context (and I'm aware of the changing climate, believe me), my youngest son was born on December 23, 1973.

That morning it rained...all day.

It's true that we are continually above mean temperatures this year, but it hovers just above.

I can also remember watching a neighbour cutting his lawn on New Years Day back in the 60's.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   
But a constant higher temp masqua? Days here and there, yeah. This reminds me of the weather in the Pacific Northwest.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
You want to hear something really scary? Here about three weeks ago in Waco, it was 80 degrees one day, the next it was snowing!! Now, Texas is known for its extreme temperature swings, but wow!!

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Just enjoy the lack of snow Intrepid, unless you're a skier or snowmobiler then you have my sympathies. I live in the KW-Cambridge area, and I don't miss it one bit. You do realise though, that we are overdue for the so-called-Big-One and it is still just December. I agree though, this is damned peculiar none-the-less! Let's just keep shipping it south to Buffalo, OK?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
It's hot in Denmark too. No snow. They say birds and flowers are acting as if it was spring. There are flies and insects still alive which should've been dead by this time of year. They say this is the first time ever that some kind of flies are still alive in December. I wonder if these effects on insects, birds and plants might trigger some other undesireable effects...

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I can still wear a t-shirt outside in New York City, it's been in the mid 50s.

It only got really cold for a few days so far this season.

[edit on 12/18/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
the tempratures are starting to worry me. I live in indiana and by this time there is usually so much snow you arent worried about a white christmas. I have been wearing tee shirts for the last few days!

Something weird is going on.

milder summers and winters.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Intrepid, I live in the Southwest US at 6000 feet. We often have snow in October and have had snow in April many times as well. We have had not one snow this year. The highs this past week have been in the high 50s and even into the 60s... I go out in my T-shirt all the time.

But global warming is a myth, y'all...

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Guys dont panic, its all got to do with the current Solar output going through a peak period in a cycle. When the ice bergs are on your doorstep then you can start to worry.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Cormorants like these used to fly south for the winter. But in the last decade they've been staying longer and longer until a point a few years back, they started staying all winter.

Plants are also keeping their leaves greener longer(some plants last winter stayed green throughout winter!).

The Ice Wine crop this year is looking to be rather poor. Without Canadian weather we cannot produce Ice Wine! This impacts our established economy and if this trend continues.......

Guys dont panic, its all got to do with the current Solar output going through a peak period in a cycle.

That is incorrect.

I remember during the last peak, Toronto had lots of weird winter storms. We had a few Ice storms, a Snow storm that made our "courageous" mayor call up the national guard to shovel the crap. Things are a bit more complicated then "Increased Solar Activity = Increased Temperatures". It's actually more complicated then our ability to model it with current computer technology.

When the ice bergs are on your doorstep then you can start to worry.

I'm in Canada. Icebergs are a high on our priority list. We've seen and documented the increased numbers of bergs as well as the decrease in sea ice in the N pole.

[edit on 18-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here in Los Angeles we typically have a very wet winter, the rain will typically start in mid-late November. This winter we have only had about three days of rain and the temperatures are still abnormally high.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It's over here..

In Nothern Nevada.
-7 last night..snow, over the weekend.

Come and get it.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I'm in Juneau, Alaska. So far, we have had one of the coldest and snowiest winters in over 30 years. Usually it snows an inch or so, then melts due to rain. We usually have zero and below temps starting in January with only a foot or so of snow - this year the snow and 0 and below degree temps started in October and it snowed four feet at my house in Oct and Nov. Sounds a bit like global cooling to me - or just normal weather pattern fluctuations due to many, many factors, most of which are very natural and have been happening for millions of years.

Personally, I am waiting for the time I can plant palm trees n my back yard.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Intrepid, I also live in Ohio. I live in Grove City, about 5 minutes south of Columbus. I agree with you, this is crazy. It's not even cold out really, between 45 and 65 degrees for the past 2 - 3 weeks.

Ex

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I live in the Southeast, and it has been in the 70's for the last three days.
Christmas shopping in shorts...
Isn't there a major problem with plants, as in poison ivy,
and insects, like mosquitoes that do not die during winter??

I'm Paranoid !!!

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
well about a week ago we got almost 3 feet of snow in 70 hours... but the next day it was sunny and started to melt....

we were on CNN hahaha

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
Guys dont panic, its all got to do with the current Solar output going through a peak period in a cycle. When the ice bergs are on your doorstep then you can start to worry.

Then it will be far,far too late, but I don't expect the masses to wake up until that is indeed the case. Unfortunately, attitudes such as what you have just exhibited is the cause of such complacency.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Up here in the Pacific Norwest it's actually been pretty normal. But normal here is absolutely abnormal anywhere else.

I can say that it has been really cold and for some reason not as rainy.

Can't make much comparison to the rest of you but we did get 8 inches of snow in november, which is abnormal. We don't normally get snow at all.

As long as it's Global warming, i'm fine with it, I can handle heat better then cold.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Where I am in Australia, we're having the worst drought in 100 years or so, maybe longer.

Stage 4 water restrictions are on the way, and there is talk of Stage 5 restrictions.

Some are saying it's just a natural cycle, just that no one was alive when it happend the last time and it seems strange.

I'm more and more leaning towards "Something aint right"

In fact I would go as far as to say, the weather is just downright weird all round, I can't even put my finger on what it is....just odd IMHO

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join