It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OK, is this a problem?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
One snow all year. hasn't happened for 13 years.

El Nina(sp?) is what my Uncle says. But I don't know squat about it, so I'm just passing along his word.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Whoever stated his/her observation about extremes is centering in on exactly what's so strange about the weather anymore.

It's not necessarily that temps on average are getting warmer (i.e. milder winters), but it's that the weather can waver to such extremes, and in a matter of hours.

In Atlanta, we were being hit with freeze warnings just two weeks ago. Today? Sunny and mid-60's.

There is a theory out there, first fronted by Art Bell (of course), but amazingly, later propelled by NOAA, that global warming could actually usher in a new ice age. And one of the signs of this impending ice age would be wild weather swings as though the earth is attempting to adjust itself back to equilibrium....

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:39 AM
link   
After posting in here just yesterday, we got our first snow! It's snowing right now.

I suspect the weather controllers are observing ATS...
(j/k)

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I am a little bit east of Ontario, and our weather so far has been interesting. We have had one small blast of snow in the first week of december, and it was gone within two days. Other then that, I've been able to wear short sleeve shirts for the most part. The odd day I had to bundle up and put a jacket on, but most days I can easily where a t-shirt and get a way with it.

People do this every year about the weather I think. Where they say this hasn't happened in twenty years, regardless of what the weather is like. But I can honestly not recall the last time it was this warm, this close to Christmas.

This morning we have a small frost, but I suspect it will quickly melt and warm up before too long. A little bit cold for a t-shirt, but it is still relatively warm for the time of year.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It may be that we are just going through a warm period, but things have sure been strange all over the world this year. No snow here in Norway either, and it's been an increasing trend over the past few years. The weather forecast even started pollen warnings in december (never happened here before), and some flowers have started popping up thinking it's spring

The weather is really starting to get to me here in Bergen, that's for sure. It's been raining now for 52 consecutive days!!! 5 more days and we have a new record. The last one was in 1975. I'm sitting here with the local paper BT and it says that for the last month there's been 537,6mm (21.1 inches) of rain and the normal amount for this timeperiod is 243mm (9.6 inches), ie 2,21 times the normal amount

I would consider that a problem, yes...

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Here in Quebec it's the same, all we had so far was one day of icy rain, followed by like, and inch of snow, it all melted. Today I noticed a bit of snow fall, not too much though. Tamperatures are usually around 10 degrees celcius, weird weather indeed.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Is this a problem?

I guess it depends on what each person considers problematic.

For some, warmer weather is good. More rain is good. For some cooler wheather and less precipitation is good.

I beleive the OP's question was meant to spark debate on whether recent weather patterns are indicative of global climate change and whether global climate change is a problem. Without a doubt, climate change is real and will create problems, difficulties, and obstacles for many. However bear in mind that these changes occur slowly and the earth and humans are extremely adaptable.

Southern Ontario as well as much of the US northeast were under several thousands of feet of glacial ice only about 10,000 years age (Pleistocene ice age). 10,000 years is a wink of an eye on the geologic time scale. I feel fairly safe in stating that humans played no part in causing the advancement or retreat of that continental ice sheet. To worry excesively about a few degrees of mean temperture fluctuation, or dynamic precipitation patterns is not warranted IMO when you consider the truly immense changes this planet undergoes due to conditions we do not understand, or even know about is some cases.

[edit on 12/19/2006 by darkbluesky]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
El Ninio follows an 11 year cycle, along with sunspots. I'm trying to remember the weather in 1984 . . .

I think we had snow on the ground in Texas that year; makes me think it's something else.

Somoene posted elsewhere on ATS that the whole solar system is heating up, due to the sun's increased output during storms . . .

I'll vote for definitely wierd.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
This is getting very weird indeed, as I am posting this, there is a snowstorm outside (I live in Montreal, Canada) and for the past few weeks the average temperature has been around 8 to 12C (I don't know how to convert to fareinheit lol) anyways today is the first day it actually snowed all winter and yesterday I actually had a water gun fight with my friends!!! The meteorologists near my town said it was going to be around 10C but it is actually snowing like crazy! Anyways, just wanted to give my 2 cents...

-Jimmy-

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If AL Gore was right, and this is global warming..

BRING ON THE GLOBAL WARMING!

If raising the temp makes Michigan into the next Hawaii, my property values will go through the roof!

And its all thanks to 20th century industrialization!

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
No snow at all so far. Usually there a few storms already. It's been 50+ the past few weeks. Weird.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Some more strange weather in Belgium.

In the past it always started freezing from october and at last by november.
This year it wasn't freezing till half december. We have had temperatures above 10 degrees celcius till last week. This is never seen before in history.

This is going on in Belgium, the Netherlands, germany, France,...

An independant scientific EU institution came up with these results:

At present day the concentration of CO2 is at its highest level since 500 000 years

from 1850 till 1980 European Alps lost approximately one third of their area and one half of their mass. It is very likely that the glacier retreat will continue. By 2050, about 75 % of the glaciers in the Swiss Alps are likely to have disappeared.

The rise in sea levels will intensify by 4 times the present values in this century. Global ocean heat content has increased significantly since the late 1950s. More than half of the increase in heat content has occurred in the upper 300 metres of the ocean.
Over the past 30 years there has been a northward shift of zooplankton species by up to 1 000 km and a major reorganisation of plankton
ecosystems.

The total area of Arctic sea ice has shrunk by more than 7 % from 1978 to 2003. Ice thickness decreased by about 40 % on average from the period 1958–1976 to the period 1993–1997, with large regional variability. Projections show a predominantly ice free Arctic Ocean in summer by 2100

source: climat report

[edit on 19-12-2006 by As Salam alaykum]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Here in Finland we've had a very unseasonally warm autumn and early winter. We did get snow for a brief period about 6 weeks ago but it went away pretty fast. The Finnish Meteorological Institution stated that 2006 has been the 4th warmest year since 1861. (I guess the records reliably only go that far.)
Their press release also stated that the eight warmest years have been in the last ten years

World Meteorological Organization has a press release on the status of global climate in 2006. It can be found from here in .doc format.

Averaged separately for both hemispheres, 2006 surface temperatures for the northern hemisphere (0.58°C above 30-year mean of 14.6°C/58.28°F) are likely to be the fourth warmest and for the southern hemisphere (0.26°C above 30-year mean of 13.4°C/56.12°F), the seventh warmest in the instrumental record from 1861 to the present.

Since the start of the 20th century, the global average surface temperature has risen approximately 0.7°C. But this rise has not been continuous. Since 1976, the global average temperature has risen sharply, at 0.18°C per decade. In the northern and southern hemispheres, the period 1997-2006 averaged 0.53°C and 0.27°C above the 1961-1990 mean, respectively.

Source: Abovementioned WMO press release.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 04:21 PM
link   
ATS: Ho Ho Ho, No Snow for Europe

The recent rise of dust and particulates due to severe drought will inhibit precipation also. The Saharan Air Layer (SAL) was thought to be the main culprit in shunting the 2006 Atlantic tropical season. Hence, global warming begats dust which inhibits precipitation events.

Where are the hurricanes? The Saharan Air Layer
Logical Science

EXCLUSIVE: Huge Global Dust Storms Darken Skies and Parch the Earth

ATSNN - April 4, 2006

Could Global Warming Mean Less Sunshine And Less Rainfall?
ScienceDaily - May 21, 2004

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Regenmacher]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I told my husband that there is going to be another ice age and not to be fooled by the fluctuation in temeratures. We live in the UK. We get another ice age and the UK will be hit hard.

They are going to have to find an alternative fuel source, as gas prices will go through roof. Many people will freeze in their homes.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rachel07
I told my husband that there is going to be another ice age and not to be fooled by the fluctuation in temeratures. We live in the UK. We get another ice age and the UK will be hit hard.

They are going to have to find an alternative fuel source, as gas prices will go through roof. Many people will freeze in their homes.

High temps always make me think Second Ice Age.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 05:00 PM
link   
we've also been experiencing less rainfall here in Cebu (Philippines - thats on the Asian side of the Pacific for those who are somewhat geographically-challenged), though I can still recall that we used to regard the days between October and January as the typhoon season.

Weird Weather Quirk of the Month (Philippines):
ASEAN Summit cancelled by wimpy so-called typhoon

Dec. 8

Dec. 9

Dec. 11

no news worth mentioning on the 10th though, all we had was a drizzle of a typhoon (international codename UTOR).

thats about it for weird weather here in my corner of southeast asia, will post some more if conditions change. for better or worse, who knows?

[edit on 19-12-2006 by toreishi]

[edit on 19-12-2006 by toreishi]

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Funny how just one person mentioned it and even that was just a passing mention.

El Nino is the reason...

It gained a little strength.
www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

The NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) also moved to positive (though it's falling again and is back to negative).
NAO

El Nino = warmer weather for most
Positive NAO = warmer weather for most

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
El Nino is the reason...

El Niño may be part of it, but I don't think it's really the cause, it's more part of the effect. El Niño years used to be spaced about a decade apart as already noted in this thread, but nowadays, it seems more the norm than the exception.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join