It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What ever happened to the Roanoke colony?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Thanks Marduk,

I will ask some of the Lumbees that I know if this is their view and if they have any knowledge.

Also concerning the Lumbee dearing the move in the 1820s-30s. They were not thought of as a threat. they were a concured people in the eyes of the whites. To this day they are not recognized, federaly, as a tribe. Therefore they get no benefits or stature given to the other tribes in the US.

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yeah, that pretty much covers it, they assimilated. Unless someone's got proof of otherwise?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
hey Radekus
this guy has definitely got your theory beat

They were abducted by aliens who were in reality Jack the Ripper, Elvis, and Bigfoot. They formed a secret club, landed in the middle of Stonehenge where they plotted the Kennedy assasination. After that they departed for the Bermuda Triangle stopping off in Scotland to have tea with the Loch Ness Monster. Either that or they spontaniously combusted

www.rateitall.com...

[edit on 18-12-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
obviously you don't speak french
either nom de plume or nomme de plume is acceptable

Marduk

I'll jump back in here and knock you back off your "high horse" because you are indeed very mistaken with your thought that Nomme is acceptable.

I am a French Canadian and speak french fluently.

I think you should take a look at this link before you try again...........

www.everything2.com...

The expression "nom de plume" is not the original French. The French for "pen name" is nom de guerre.
The English expression was apparently created by someone who knew just enough French to know that "guerre" meant war and "plume" meant pen, but no more.

Another English term is by-name. Yet another English word for it is pseudonym, which is actually the most straightforward English name for the thing: it's a pity it looks dauntingly learned.

However, it is reported that "nom de plume" is now used in French, for specifically the pen name of a professional writer (i.e. not just any alias): evidently a recent re-import from English"

I really do think that you need to be more careful in what you ASSUME to be right .. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

By the way I love your signature .......but what is "Deny Ognorance"

[edit on 18-12-2006 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I am assuming nothing
nom de plume is an english phrase derived from french which means pen name
I'm terribly sorry that your mastery of the french language has seen fit to not mention that to you
but you can look it up in any dictionary
dictionary.reference.com...
dictionary.cambridge.org...
www.onelook.com... (this one links to 15 seperate dictionaries that have its definition
you are in fact assuming that I am ignorant of everyday english phrases
so you are right in one sense

be more careful in what you ASSUME to be right

for an adjudiaction you can use Babel fish
babelfish.altavista.com...
just type "nom de plume" in the text box and translate from french to english

p.s. the link you posted is to a site that has submissions by non professionals
the post you linked to was submitted by someone called Gritchka who's signature includes this

In Ancient Egypt a mummified stoat was a symbol of good luck. On the first of the Sothic new year children would go out into the fields dressed in a shalwar kameez and peep through the long grass. Whoever saw the first mummified stoat would shout "Olly-olly-oh" (except in pictures) and would be anointed with myrrh and crowned with olives and anchovies. A great fire would be lit in the village square and the lucky child would be led up to it by two elders trained in martial arts.

so i wouldnt take anything too seriously if i were you

but as i have stated I am hardly assuming something which is in everyday usage in a language which i speak fluently
so what exactly is your point here
i said it was french for pen name
it is

living up to your nomme de plume arent you (thats french it means "your pen name")

so my original statement is perfectly correct

as for my signature

but what is "Deny Ognorance"

I once told someone that the motto of this forum was "Deny Ignorance" but I didn't spell check it
and kept it as a reminder to never assume everything was correct in future

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Multiple assumptions

"obviously you don't speak french
either nom de plume or nomme de plume is acceptable "

With your own links you have proven that you were wrong about the above statement

What's my point with all this you asked?

Snafu called you out on past behavior and all you did was respond with an insult and "got up on your high horse"

oh so clearly you didn't bother to read my link either and are now deliberately showing how ignorant you are

Even calling snafu a petty racist child? WOW!! That's amazing

You then pretend to know the "French expression"

We all know what you were trying to say but you were the one that proved you that you think you're "above us mortals"

It's Nom not nomme and you even provided the links to that!!

I love your explanation for the signature and wonder aloud how long you'll be able to look at it knowing it's WRONG...... it must be eating you alive.... no?

[edit on 18-12-2006 by Perfect stranger]

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:26 PM
link   
don't forget that french from france and french from Canada have slight differences. I'm not saying I know the correct therm, since therms are sometimes out of context to what is really said, and translating it for understanding is pointless since the meaning is lost with the translation.
Like, it's raining cats and dogs, that signifies it's raining a hell lot, but in translation, it would mean just that, it's raining cats and dogs, and you'd have a bounch of people being like, you're wrong. See the problem?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I see the problem
Canadians arent french
they just think they are

obviously the links to 15 + dictionaries that I posted links to that said Nom de plume means pen name were not clear enough
perhaps i should have posted a canuck dictionary
in that case I'll ask what this has to do with the roanoke colony Perfect Strangness and leave it at that
because clearly you just posted here to start trouble
and made yourself look like a branleur in the process
now that word is french
but I don't think it means the same thing

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Wow ! After numerous tries you still don't get it? There must be static on the line....

You cling to the premise that the meaning is a "pen name" and that has never been disputed... only the fact that you continue to deny that you were wrong on the Nom de plume VS. Nomme de plume.

The only reason I posted into your thread is beacuse it was going absolutly nowhere and you felt the need to start bashing SNAFU and coming off like a know it all.

So when SNAFU called you out as to "Your old trick's" he really wasn't that far off was he?

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
snafu started that ahem discussion by insulting me and claiming that i didnt' know the difference between proof and a theory when I had just in fact posted proof that my original post which stated that the settlers had joined the croatan indians was correct

i said "proof", not "theories." do you need an explanation of the difference, or can you handle that on your own?

you then decided to insult me by claiming that nom de plume does not mean pen name and that it cannot be spelled nomme
heres a french dictionary that will tell you that nom and nomme are the same word only that nomme is in fact more gramattically correct
see the original english phrase which uses nom is incorrectbut pardon me for having a better understanding of french than you do
who'd a thought it

perhaps then you should look up an article called "Nomme de Plume" by David Carpenter who is a professional author from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.
www.lights.com...
then you can go stick your accusations up your assumption

now you are teaming up with the other all time loser in this thread
do you guys run in packs or something

The only reason I posted into your thread is beacuse it was going absolutly nowhere and you felt the need to start bashing SNAFU and coming off like a know it all.

no you posted in this thread because you thought you were a know it all when in fact snafu agreed with my original interpretation of the facts

so where does that leave your interaction in this thread
about the same place as your helpfullness
i.e. non

now if you actually have something relevant to add to the thread then please post it
if you'd rather exchange petty insults then take it to u2u
that way at least i can lay out exactly what I think of your intelect properly

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
You are a piece of work man... insults flying so fast that you don't even have the facts right........

Never was the definition of nom de plume challenged ... just the spelling ... and that got so much under your skin that you commenced hurling insults .. you need to grow up and get a life oh yeah and don't forget to "Deny Ognorance"

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 05:32 PM
link   
694,000 entries for nomme de plume on google
www.google.co.uk...
heres an assumption for you
french isn't your first language is it

I also take it that you have nothing whatsoever to add to the topic of this thread
in which case you're just a troll
heres some advice
I'm not your goat

go find something softer to pick on

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Oh boy, you attract awefully alot of trolls Marduk... Fortunately for me, I'm so radical in my posts people don't even dare to argue with me, they don't know how,

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Je ne possède pas même un pont

btw you don't spell awfully like that

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Perfect stranger
You are a piece of work man... insults flying so fast that you don't even have the facts right........

Never was the definition of nom de plume challenged ... just the spelling ... and that got so much under your skin that you commenced hurling insults .. you need to grow up and get a life oh yeah and don't forget to "Deny Ognorance"

Dude, Get a life. I have butted heads with Marduk before, but this is stupid. A page of arguements over NOM vs NOMME, if your are going to argue then do it over the subject matter at hand (thread). If not go some where else. Also are you sure that snafu wanted your help? Now add to the discussions or find some where else to post your bitching.

Marduk,
Can you provide me a link to the Lumbee belief that you quoted earlier. I would like to read some more. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
you wanna start something Marduk? Okay, here's my beef.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Can you provide me a link to the Lumbee belief that you quoted earlier. I would like to read some more. Thanks.

www.native-languages.org...
www.meyna.com...
www.lumbeetribe.com...
www.melungeons.com...
when you balance all this out with the lack of any alternative for the dissapearance of th settlers and the fact that artifacts from the colony were recentlydug up from a croatan (now lumbee) camp there imo really is only one conclusion

I've seen quite a few shows that mention roanoke as a total mystery and not one of them actually dealt with the facts but then consider whats more likely to get viewers
1) the fabulous mystery of the vanished settlers of roanoke
2) a bunch of white folk who went native

[edit on 19-12-2006 by Marduk]

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'll Spal Awefalley az dam wel az AY Pleaze.
There. I made my point. I advanced no where and proved
to myself that I too can be a troll.

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   
and theres me just thinking you were a redneck
www.devedia.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Actually, I was thinking of moving to Texas. I live in Montreal Canada, I was born in Poland. Why Texas? I love guns, and I admire the US constitution. Canada is full of weaklings with shotguns and rifles, mind you, most people don't even have guns. Automatic weapons aren't allowed here. ah wel...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join