It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just won a PS3 !!! - game suggestions please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   
WOOHOOOOOOOOOO

They only had one of each console for the PS3, XBox 360 and Wii so decided to raffle them off on the Navy base here and hubby won it!!!

I am SO excited (mostly for him) but wasn't planning on actually owning one until a year or so down the line, once they had sorted out whatever problems there may be with it and reduced the price a little etc ... and so I was hoping you guys could help me out with some cool games I can buy for him for Christmas.

He likes War and fighting games, but I would like to extend his gaming ventures. I am about to go have a look on the net for what's out there but would appreciate a suggestion from anyone here who can personally reccomend a good game.

Cheers

Just came back to mention most of the games I looked at (on Gamestop.com mainly) for the PS3 aren't even released yet ?

So what do we do, buy PS2 games for the new console ?

Kinda puts a damper on the exciting mood if U ask me.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Umm... thinking thinking... Is the PS3 compatible with PS2 and PS1 games? There really isn't anything worth playing on the PS3 right now.

I guess there is always Resistance: Fall of Man. :shrug:

There are also all the EA Sports titles.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Umm... There really isn't much to choose from atm really. I'd trade it in for a 360 with a bunch of games or a Wii with four controllers and 3 games.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:22 AM
link   
lol wow I wonder why all the hype then ? Seriously, people got all hyped up about a console coming out that doesn't have more than 5 games out to play on it ?

PSP and PS2 games do play on it, well are supposed to but I read and heard of peoblems with some of them playing.
We tried a couple of our PS2 games and they work fine.

But we can just play those on the PS2 right ?

lol oh well least we can say we didn't pay for it. Not that I'm ungrateful or anything ... I'm sure there'll be something to get excited about soon but man this is frustrating!
Til then I guess we'll just watch he free Blu-Ray DVD we got with it and tap our fingers ....

Cheers sardion

[edit on 17-12-2006 by ImJaded]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
On PS3's backwards compatibility...

Seriously, people got all hyped up about a console coming out that doesn't have more than 5 games out to play on it ?

This is typical of gaming systems when they launch.
Wikipedia has a full of PS3 games
en.wikipedia.org...

I don't have a PS3 so I couldn't tell you which ones are good or not. Maybe hit YouTube and do a search for some of the games and see the trailers. That may help you decide on which games to buy.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Well have fun with it anyways. I'd personally trade it with the guy who won the Wii(highly unlikely as anyone who has one will not want to part with it) but that's just a personal preference.

[edit on 17-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

I don't have a PS3 so I couldn't tell you which ones are good or not. Maybe hit YouTube and do a search for some of the games and see the trailers. That may help you decide on which games to buy.

Thanks Umbrax
The link you posted is a great help.
And also while you're here could you advise which of the Final Fantasy games I should get ? We've never played them before but after seeing the movie we're definitely interested. I've just seen so many conflicting reviews on all the different ones though.

I guess if they don't play on the PS3 we can just play them on the PS2.

Cheers

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Well have fun with it anyways. I'd personally trade it with the guy who won the Wii(highly unlikely as anyone who has one will not want to part with it) but that's just a personal preference.

lol I almost asked hubby to but he's so happy with it I wouldn't dream of it.

I may see about getting a Wii at a later date, maybe for my birthday

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The last one I played was FFX and I enjoyed it. FFXI was a online massive roleplaying game so I stayed away from it. I have addiction problems with the net as it is

FFXII just recently came out I haven;t played it yet. I may be getting it for Christmas. My favorites from the series are FFVI and FFVII. Both games are very old so I'm not sure if you would want them.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:48 AM
link   

On PS3's backwards compatibility...

I just finished watching this and WOW, just goes to show one should wait a year or so before buying. This truly sucks.

I didn't really notice anything different when I popped in GTA San Andreas to test it. Played it for a little while and while it didn't look much better, it wasn't worse. Guess as we test more we'll see but this footage really is disheartening.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded Guess as we test more we'll see but this footage really is disheartening.

No kidding. Imagine being one of those guys that spent days camping outside of the Best Buy and spent $700 on the thing

Wii is having some minor problems too, www.wiidamage.com...
Xbox360 also had issues when it launched. This is pretty "normal" for systems when they launch. Many seasoned gamers will wait things out before buying a new system.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 10:56 AM
link   

No kidding. Imagine being one of those guys that spent days camping outside of the Best Buy and spent $700 on the thing

I'd be seriously pissed lol

Thx for the info on FF, I will look around for which to get

Edn

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You could always sell the PS3 for double its retail price and buy a Wii and a load of games and have change left over for a nice little break away somewhere.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
You could always sell the PS3 for double its retail price and buy a Wii and a load of games and have change left over for a nice little break away somewhere.

Good idea.

You can probably get at least a thousand for the PS3 if you sell before Christmas. Just go down to your local mall and stand around with a sign...I'd give 5 minutes before you've got a handful of cash

Buy a Wii for now and get the PS3 next Christmas, that's my advice.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImJaded

I'd be seriously pissed lol

Thx for the info on FF, I will look around for which to get

Just wanted to note that Final Fantasy 5 port is available for the Gameboy Advance and a Remake of Final Fantasy 3 is availble for the DS:Lite. FF3 NEVER reached North America and those who played it(like me) had to use an Japanese-English translation book to play. North America's FF3(My fave of all time), was actually FF6 over in Japan(just in case you didn't know).

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
so like, can i like, be your new friend and stuffs?

resistance looks sweet

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Nintendo for creating such a cool console and making people cause hilarious property damage and nice wii-mote shaped bruisers.

www.wiidamage.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
so like, can i like, be your new friend and stuffs?

resistance looks sweet

Sure!
lol feel like I'm back in high school

Resistance does look good and I'm sure hubby would like it so I think that shall be our first purchase along with a Final Fantasy PS2 game

Cheers guys

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
ok everything i'm listing comes from the scores on metacritic, so don't worry, it's not just some score given by a site that may have corporate ties, it's by other people who've played the games and gave their opinions on it.

i don't have a ps3, btw:

www.metacritic.com...
Call of Duty 3,
Resistance,
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Riiiiiiiiddge--ok i'll quit.
*ahem* Ridge Racer

there are some other good games on there too, but they're mostly sports games, which i don't like (so i didn't list them), but yea. you should look at those. oh and congrats on winning the ps3!

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by karby
ok everything i'm listing comes from the scores on metacritic, so don't worry, it's not just some score given by a site that may have corporate ties, it's by other people who've played the games and gave their opinions on it.

i don't have a ps3, btw:

www.metacritic.com...
Call of Duty 3,
Resistance,
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Riiiiiiiiddge--ok i'll quit.
*ahem* Ridge Racer

there are some other good games on there too, but they're mostly sports games, which i don't like (so i didn't list them), but yea. you should look at those. oh and congrats on winning the ps3!

Thank you so much karby, it's exciting to have won it all the same (I know I may have sounded a little ungrateful up there ^ lol)

I'll be sure to check out that site you linked and get hubby to take a look too, I'm sure it will help him decide

Cheers

posted on Dec, 18 2006 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Bah!! :shk:
Just wait till Feb 07, people will throw their Wiis out the window!

Resistence is the way to go.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join