It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marines in Space

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
jra

posted on Apr, 6 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I don't think this seems like a waste of money. Not that I'm all for militerizing space (but it's going to happen eventually). I just like to see advancements in space capable vehicles and technology. If they can make it work and remain cost effective, how could it be anything but a good idea? Being able to deliver people/supplies anywhere in the world within a few hours creates a huge advantage. But like Johnsky, I too am wondering about where and how it will land and if it can take off again after that.

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 02:56 AM
link   

As one, the Spacemarines stood up, raised their spacerifles in salute, then marched out the spacedoors to the spacedock, where their spaceship was waiting to boldly take them where they’d all been before: Space!

teehee
sorry, coudn't resist
found it here

so anyone in here thinks SUSTAIN is sustainable and quite within our reach or what? and why do you think so?

posted on Apr, 7 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
It makes perfect sense that the American military, and possibly others, have developed a rapid deployment vehicle for use in low orbit. As one poster suggets, it may be classified as a Space Weapon, and thus be prohibited by Treaties, but if they are the only ones to have it whose going to know?

The unit would be highly classified, and use all of the latest Stealth technology, who knows, they may have limited cloaking abilities as well. The bottom line is that if they have one, they will use it. After all, they nuked Japan.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean0352

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

The Marine Corps worked in the Osprey for twenty years when everyone in the world said they'd never work and that they were too dangerous to fly even if they did. Guess what. I see one or two whisking around Albuquerque on a regular basis.

Yeah you still see the Osprey at LeJeune too. Neat to look at, but still got some bugs. Semper!

The Osprey is a horribly flawed platform. Ask yourself this, you see Osprey flying around Albuquerque, how many have you seen in Iraq? None? There's a good reason for this. First, it has the radar signature of a flying lead aircraft carrier with those massive blades whirring around. Second, it is hideously unstable and the FBW system is ancient to say the least. Third, although the Osprey can land on a single engine (it uses a gear system to feed the rotor to the damaged engine from the good engine) it is not a landing that can be described as controlled, take one engine out on an Osprey and the thing will "crash safely" wherever it finds itself. The Osprey is a coffin with rotors and an outdated design.

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well, the Marine Corps begs to differ with you. According to this article, they intend to deploy the V-22 to Iraq by this fall.

For Marine Corps officials, the Bell Helicopter-Boeing Co. contractor team and other supporters of the V-22 program, the Osprey is a transformational hybrid aircraft whose features -- including its speed and ability to fly at far higher altitudes than the aging CH-46 helicopters now used -- make it nearly impervious to a fatal ground attack.

"It's more survivable than anything we've got over there now," Col. Glenn Walters, Marine Corps director of aviation plans, programs and budgets, said in a recent interview.

And the V-22's survivability features -- including its low infrared signature, redundant onboard systems and speed -- will protect it from hits that would be fatal to other aircraft, he said.

www.govexec.com...

www.militarytimes.com...

[edit on 2007/4/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 8 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
If we are to justify it's effectiveness as a means of transportation of troops we have to look into a variety of things.

1. Landing. Whatever the craft is, it will have to be able to land vertically, unless every invasion attempt of the marines future relies on there being a landing strip in the right orientation for a atmosphere to terra landing.

2. Re-use... once landed in the hotbed of military activity, can it be used again to launch another assault, or return the soldiers home? With todays technology, chances are you cannot. You can deliver them, but without a co-ordinated launch program, you won't get them home by the same means they were delivered.

3. Weight. What can you feasably store in a exo-atmospheric vehicle, that can be used on the ground in an armored assault, that won't exceed the maximum mass of the carrier.

Exactly.

IMO, this is just a ruse by the Military. We are actually going to miniaturization and RPVs.

They put forth this false front of full-size piloted vehicles, but I wonder if that isn't just to mislead the 'other side' into building such craft.

One other aspect is that until they have a certain number of these craft then they can't say they have an 'operational force'.

So keep in mind that sometimes the military says one thing and actually does another.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
It's a brilliant and worthwhile idea, chuckle factor or no. Imagine being able to put recon on the ground in 2 hours flat anywhere in the world, regardless of where the carriers are, which bases we have to close or are forbidden by hosts to operate from, etc.

Though being able to put a dozen or so guys on the ground may not seem impressive at a glance, but picture this. We intercept a phone call that lets us know that Bin Laden is leaving a meeting somewhere in the city of Mogadishu, but that's all we know... even if there isn't a single American within a thousand miles, we can have snipers on every highway out of town before he can be gone.

Id love to see the day when we had that capability.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
YEAH!!!!!

Go Marine Snipers!!!!!

USMC, STA PLT......

(Insert Appropriate Grunt)

Semper Fi

Semper

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
And all the craft would have to do is facilitate a high altitude drop and that would be all that would be necessary for such an operation--no landing strip necessary.

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
but how descrete would thes drops be, I mean it must be obvious these ships coming in and dropping people off

posted on Apr, 9 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Personally, I think the intimidation factor of watching a meteor streak down from the heavens crash into the ground and a dozen very pissed off, highly trained, very lethal, demon like men dressed in advanced body armor pouring out of the meteor will be priceless.

how sweet this will be when we have this and no other country does, we'll be like ...uuughh...nice military, what are those bows and arrows? What do you mean your military doesn't have spaceships? We do, I don't understand?

Plus it would be sweet for the enemy to know that if they screw up even in the slightest and we catch on we can have a squad of professional highly competant killers streaking down from the sky within 2 hours like fallen angels comming for that ass.

I also would like to see us perfect the UFO technology. How sweet would it be if a disk pops up out of no where streaking across the sky at 20 billion miles an hour, comming to a complete stop over head and 2 dozen SF dudes hop out. That would be kick ass.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This vehicle is already in operation! Ive seen it as well as the "pods", though there more like snowmoblies and tribe.coms logo upside down is actually one style as well. BLACKWATER USA uses the Black ops technology all the time. I've also witnessed the genetically altered "humans" as well. Yes folks my days are numbered. But Im sick of having this knowledge alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theyve been watching me since early Feburary, so come on you traitors and murderers of innocents in NY 2001, bring it! I know i wont see it coming because of the stealth and cloaking you have almost mastered. I've seen your stealth helicopter and JENNIFER in flight, i know what really took place on that day that changed the world, I've scattered the evidence, so taking me out will only confirm it and hastening it being revealed.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Personally, I think the intimidation factor of watching a meteor streak down from the heavens crash into the ground and a dozen very pissed off, highly trained, very lethal, demon like men dressed in advanced body armor pouring out of the meteor will be priceless.

how sweet this will be when we have this and no other country does, we'll be like ...uuughh...nice military, what are those bows and arrows? What do you mean your military doesn't have spaceships? We do, I don't understand?

Plus it would be sweet for the enemy to know that if they screw up even in the slightest and we catch on we can have a squad of professional highly competant killers streaking down from the sky within 2 hours like fallen angels comming for that ass.

I also would like to see us perfect the UFO technology. How sweet would it be if a disk pops up out of no where streaking across the sky at 20 billion miles an hour, comming to a complete stop over head and 2 dozen SF dudes hop out. That would be kick ass.

Problem with your joy is that they'll be coming for you too unless you bow on your knees and blow them. good thing not all bassplayers are psycho, at least im speaking for myself anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2007 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Smokeing_Gun
but how descrete would thes drops be, I mean it must be obvious these ships coming in and dropping people off

you didnt really see them that well on Spet 11th now did you?

the answer, they never see it coming, as well as their ability to project holograms elsewhere, like the holograms of 2 planes hitting 2 towers.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think that may be a little far fetched

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Your right. I am psycho. You should see me on stage. I'm like a short jack black. running around. I even beat by $5000 basses during most of my shows for effect. I mean make a fist and hammer the hell out of the upper horn of the instrument hard to creat crashing thunderus sounds. works pretty well.

I've been instructed to give up playing Disco ever since the greys came for me after one show and took my bass away telling me telepathicly to never, ever .....ever play disco bass again...for the gods of disco have forbade me from it. But as you say I am psycho. So them greys ain't going to stop me. I'll keep on playing disco bass. I know they've been watching me too. the other day I woke up with a mark on my wrists. looked like some one slapped them with a ruler. plus the volume knob on my basses had all been removed by what looked like a surgical laser.

PS I have friends in Recon. none of them are tryingto take over the world with holographic technology. Heck they can't even get any LSA for their turrets on them humvees. and they call their 223 ammo 24/7 ammo cause you have to inspect the gun that fires it 24/7 to keep it operating right in the field.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Also,

I challenge you to a bass duel.

on gaurd. my slapping is faster nah nah.
ANnd, I arpeggiate quicker...so uhhh....take that....yeah!

sincerely,

Bass Player.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Alos, are you sure those people hunting you down arent bill collectors?

Just asking.

posted on Jun, 7 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
TOPIC OF DISCUSSION ...

» Military & Government Projects » Marines in Space

TOPIC FOR ANOTHER DISCUSSION ...

The last three posts.

Please the responses focused on the Actual topic of discussion.

Thank you.

posted on Jun, 8 2007 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Oh wow
:flag:

Where was that spacecraft image a few months ago when I was doing my DARPA iXo video??

During that research I learned that the Army and Navy has been sending up 'troops' in space missions and visits to the ISS. Didn't have room to include the info in the video tho. It's all in the DOD site somewhere.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join