It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEW-High Power Microwave (HPM)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:15 AM
link   
The DoD requires improved capabilities in countering artillery fire, ship defense against cruise missiles, aircraft self-protection, suppression of enemy integrated air defense systems, space control, security, counter-proliferation, and disruption or destruction of command and control assets. All of these requirements can be addressed by HPM weapon systems which upset or damage the electronics within the target. HPM weapons offer military commanders the option of:

Speed-of-light, all-weather attack of enemy electronic systems.

Area coverage of multiple targets with minimal prior information on threat characteristics.

Surgical strike (damage, disrupt, degrade) at selected levels of combat.

Minimum collateral damage in politically sensitive environments.

Simplified pointing and tracking.

Deep magazines and low operating costs.
Coordinated Army, Navy, Air Force and DNA HPM transition plans are focused on demonstrations of mission-oriented concepts: aircraft self protection, anti-ship missile defense, and counter munitions (EW Electronic Attack - degrade/neutralize enemy defenses); and lethal Suppression of Enemy Air Defenses (SEAD) and C2W/IW (Precision Force, MOUT, and IW). Potential Warfighter payoffs include generic protection against a wide variety of missile/munition threats (IR, EO, RF, laser-guided), improved effectiveness and lower attrition rates of friendly systems, and negation (permanent damage, long-term disruption, and temporary degradation) of enemy command, control, and general information systems. Finally, electronic protection techniques developed under the HPM program are being continuously transitioned to users in order to harden US systems against hostile HPM weapons or inadvertent EMI/EMC. Joint development and test projects demonstrate the maximization of investments to meet individual Service/Agency mission requirements.

HPM

This will be some crazy weapons!

If you can find more info please post!

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Microwave weapons ready for use in Iraq

U.S. military forces are said to be ready to use new directed energy weapons in Iraq should war be declared.

High-power microwave (HPM) systems produce powerful bursts of electromagnetic (EMP) energy. Similar to the thousands of volts produced by a nuclear detonation, the energy can penetrate cracks in a building to disrupt electronic communications.

The HPM systems are expected to be used against Iraqi facilities suspected of weapons manufacturing.

Probable use

Although the U.S. military refuse to comment officially on the developmental stage and possible use of these weapons, defence analysts claim the U.S. and other militaries worldwide have had HPM weapons for some years.

There were reports of HPM weapons usage during the Gulf War, when the U.S. Navy allegedly used a microwave pulse to disrupt Iraqi communications networks.

The U.S. Defence Secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, has said HPM technology could be used this year in Iraq, even if the products were still under development.

The Pentagon subjects new technologies to an approval process determining if the technologies are compliant with U.S. and international treaties. The process can take over nine months to complete.

However, Rumsfeld indicated that these reviews could be speeded up should the U.S. wish to use HPM weapons this spring.

Microwave weapons ready for use in Iraq

OMG this weapon might aready be use in

Iraq!

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by Russian]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:31 AM
link   
USAF Acknowledges Beam Weapon Readiness

Directed-energy technology is ready to be used as weaponry and, in a mature state, one device carried by an unmanned aircraft could attack each of 100 targets with 1,000 pulses of energy in a single sortie, says a former director of the U.S. Air Force's high-power microwave program.

"Except for the standard rifle, gun, knife or grenade, virtually all military equipment contains some electronics" that are vulnerable to a large pulse of energy, wrote Air Force Col. Eileen M. Walling. "Military commanders are in a state of virtually total dependence on radios, telephones, satellite communications, computers and faxes for communication with military units." Other targets include artillery targeting devices, guidance and control on precision munitions, and even locomotive engines. She also suggests HPM could be used to protect U.S. satellites and attack those of a foe without creating clouds of debris that could damage other spacecraft.

Having spent most of her career working on directed-energy technology issues, she wrote a research paper on what she considers an underrated weapons technology. Entitled "High Power Microwaves: Strategic and Operational Implications for Warfare," it was published by the Air University's center for strategy and technology in early 2000. Walling is now a division chief in Air Force Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio.

USAF Acknowledges Beam Weapon Readiness

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Warfare: E-Bombs

Electromagnetic pulses on the 21st-century battlefield.

Inside an Air Force research lab in Albuquerque, New Mexico, scientists since the 1980s have been quietly developing one of the nation's most highly guarded military secrets, one of the "black" programs under the jurisdiction of the Directed Energy Directorate. The electromagnetic bomb, or e-bomb, is a new class of weapon based on high-power surges, and it can render impotent even the most advanced digital weapons. Aside from the rifle, the knife, and the grenade, there are few items in the 21st- century military arsenal that do not rely on transistors, circuit boards, and processors.

All the secrecy is due to the technological lead the U.S. has and the potential damage these weapons can inflict on U.S. military and civilian electronics. But the Department of Defense (DoD) is beginning to release information.

E-bombs�the street term for what are known within military circles as high-power microwave (HPM) weapons�emit a short but powerful burst of electromagnetic pulses that can spike into the gigawatt range but last for only microseconds. In that short moment, an e-bomb emits enough energy to overwhelm its victim�a radar system, a radio, a GPS receiver, or a computer. But the duration is so short that these pulses do not heat human skin or damage buildings, making them particularly desirable for use against an enemy who operates within civilian neighborhoods or uses human shields.

I cant believe it this. This weapon was researched

since 1980's and we didn't know anything about. How

many more crazy weapons is there we don't know

about?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I guess everyone is like me.

Just like me nobody heard about this weapon?

Damn I gues the goverment deos know how to keep a

secret!

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It makes one question the future effectiveness of the US military and its dependance on technology to ensure it's superiority.

I also wonder what the effects of exposure to microwave weapons on living tissue.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   

It makes one question the future effectiveness of the US military and its dependance on technology to ensure it's superiority.

What's the question? With higher technology comes a higher level of training, hence the US will remain superior.

I also wonder what the effects of exposure to microwave weapons on living tissue.

If you read one of the posts by Russian, you will see that the E-Bomb's emission is too brief to cause damage to humans, although I'm sure some burns will result. As for other types of HPM devices (radars, jammers) having a focused RF beam, they can burn you. I can tell you from experience that if you are standing too close to a radar or high power communications antenna when they are radiating and you start to feel nausea, get the hell away from it - you're starting to cook from the inside out.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
hahaha just like the pain beam... u can cook people! only in america

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Check out India's microwave weapon KALI : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
... how do microwave weapons work??? do they just send a heat wave thing???

[edit on 29-6-2005 by russiankid]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 03:17 PM
link   
from emfguru.org...

Most of the studies mentioned above concluded that the microwave effect, if it existed, was indistinguishable from the effects of external heating. However, it was recently demonstrated (Kakita 1995) that the microwave effect is distinguishable from external heating by the fact that it is capable of extensively fragmenting viral DNA, something that heating to the same temperature did not accomplish. This experiment consisted of irradiating a bacteriophage PL-1 culture at 2450 MHz and comparing this with a separate culture heated to the same temperature. The survival percentage was approximately the same in both cases, but evaluation by electrophoresis and electron microscopy showed that the DNA of the microwaved samples had mostly disappeared.

beware, this stuff is potentially devastating, so wear shielding on your next riot party
ie. tinfoil

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 02:40 AM
link   
I always thought it was a fairly common fact. When i was a kid my parents always told me to stand away from the microwave, saying it would give me cancer.

Seeing as how microwaves are a form of radiation, it's not too surprising.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
Warfare: E-Bombs

I cant believe it this. This weapon was researched

since 1980's and we didn't know anything about. How

many more crazy weapons is there we don't know

about?

I've known about these weapons for several years now. There not really secret it was in a paper in england. the times i think it was in.

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 03:56 PM
link   
this is great weaponry also great for multirole things US and russia have it and i know britain does so shoukd china and israel japn and india great for missile defense

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:05 PM
link   
beware, this stuff is potentially devastating, so wear shielding on your next riot party
ie. tinfoil

hahaha tin foil will make you cook more evenly! ROFL! and a damn lot faster as well (Will keep in heat and is a good conductor of electrical energy) ROFL

You want to stop this stuff from zapping you, well stay out of its way...

on a side, I saw a picture of a police vehicle with a microwave cannon on in new york. I will dig for it

top topics

join