It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's electron-accelerated pulse-power gigahertz microwave beam weapon : KALI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Indian atomic scientists have developed the country's first 'star wars' weapon whose beams could cripple enemy missiles and aircraft.

Bursts of microwaves for KALI packed with gigawatts of power could "soft kill" incoming enemy aircraft and missiles by crippling their electronics systems and computer chips.

KALI = Kilo-Ampere Linear Injector
Kali is also the name of on all powerful demon killing Hindu godess.

According to scientists, ''soft killing" by high power microwaves has advantages over the so called laser weapon which destroys by drilling holes through metal.

The Kali system was developed for industrial applications and that the defence use was a recent spinoff.

Development of the Kali machine was mooted in 1985 by Dr Chidambaram, then director of BARC, but work earnestly began in 1989.

The machine essentially generated pulses of highly energetic electrons. Other components in the machine down the line converted the electrons into flash X-rays (for ultra high-speed photography) or microwaves. The electron beam itself can be used for welding.

The Defence Balistics Research Institute in Chandigarh is already using an X-ray version of Kali to study speed of projectiles.

Another defense institute in Bangalore is using a microwave-producing version of Kali which the scientists use for testing the vulnerability of the electronic systems going into the LCA Tejas under development and designing electrostatic shields to protect them from microwave attack by the enemy.

According to BARC scientists, the Kali machine has for the first time provided India a way to ''harden" the electronic systems used in satellites and missiles against the deadly electromagnetic impulses (EMI) generated by nuclear weapons.

The EMI wrecks havoc by creating intense electric field of several thousand volts per centimeter. The electronic components currently used in missiles can withstand fields of Just 300 volts per centimeter.

While the Kali systems built so far are single shot pulse power systems,the Kali-5000 is a rapid fire device, and hence its derrivative will be used as beam weapon.

According to BARC-published reports, the machine will shoot several thousand bursts of microwaves, each burst lasting for just 60 billionths of a second and packed with a power of about four gigawatts.

The high power microwave pulses travel in a straight line and do not dissipate their energy if the frequency falls between three and ten gigahertz.

Picture of its larger industrial version (dated 1998) (commisioned in 1999):

Its military version is currently in testing in Bangalore.

This pdf has some GREAT details of it (too complicated for me!)>> PDF file (only for PhD's !)

Sources/Links :

www.barc.ernet.in...
www.rense.com...
www.dae.gov.in...
www.globalsecurity.org...
www.dae.gov.in...
www.veccal.ernet.in...
www.nti.org...
www.financialexpress.com...

[edit on 2-6-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   
A great development for India. With all of the new defence technology it's like the world is preparing for war.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by Nexus]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
i doubt this is the first of its kind. maybe russian america developed it in the 60's

But good acheivment. if the techs not russian.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
i doubt this is the first of its kind. maybe russian america developed it in the 60's

May i ask, why develop wheel over and over again, if you can instead use it and advance from it? Sort of pointless to see this type of comments as if it wouldnt be anything if its not totally indigenious invention.

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
edit: retraction..

[edit on 3-6-2005 by Daedalus3]

posted on Jun, 3 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nexus
A great development for India. With all of the new defence technology it's like the world is preparing for war.

[edit on 2-6-2005 by Nexus]

kinda like how it was this time 100 years ago pre ww1

posted on Jun, 4 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer83

May i ask, why develop wheel over and over again, if you can instead use it and advance from it? Sort of pointless to see this type of comments as if it wouldnt be anything if its not totally indigenious invention.

you are right.

but ask yourself this site is about breakthrough tech. its not about posting projects that already been invented ages ago.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
its so COOL that the KALI is being developed by India. its also cool that it mathes the name of that goddess. if u think about it India could quite easily become a world superpower in 150 years but most probably all the humans will be united by then! im saying this cuz if u see we've only had 50 years of independance. my grandfather was actually fighting in Independance and he's still alive and well. India has made an absolutely "gimongous" amount of progress considering its damn young age.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by ansi_c12]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
[quote Indian atomic scientists have developed the country's first 'star wars' weapon whose beams could cripple enemy missiles and aircraft.

Bursts of microwaves for KALI packed with gigawatts of power could "soft kill" incoming enemy aircraft and missiles by crippling their electronics systems and computer chips.

KALI = Kilo-Ampere Linear Injector
Kali is also the name of on all powerful demon killing Hindu godess.

According to scientists, ''soft killing" by high power microwaves has advantages over the so called laser weapon which destroys by drilling holes through metal.
]

Its so COOL that the KALI is being developed by India. its also cool that it mathes the name of that goddess. if u think about it India could quite easily become a world superpower in 150 years but most probably all the humans will be united by then! im saying this cuz if u see we've only had 50 years of independance. my grandfather was actually fighting in Independance and he's still alive and well. India has made an absolutely "gimongous" amount of progress considering its damn young age.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ansi_c12
its so COOL that the KALI is being developed by India. its also cool that it mathes the name of that goddess. if u think about it India could quite easily become a world superpower in 150 years but most probably all the humans will be united by then! im saying this cuz if u see we've only had 50 years of independance. my grandfather was actually fighting in Independance and he's still alive and well. India has made an absolutely "gimongous" amount of progress considering its damn young age.

the british actually left india with a really good transportation system and industry. i wasn't like india was living in the 1st century BC. they had a working economy.

there is also a lot of countries that got independence just 50 years ago that were worst off

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
you are right the british did leave india with a pretty good transportation system, especially the railways. but thts it. period. india had no economy to speak of.

it was totally dependent on the british for everything. and this is because the british wanted it tht way. they deliberately undermined indian industry and markets to maintain a dominance.

the british changed the role of the indian economy to one tht supplies raw materials and buys finished goods. not a good position to be in is it.

there were no capital markets to speak of.

and whts worse they left us with a huge and i do mean HUGE beauraucratic system, tht only works to our disadvantage. it slows things down. even now we are comin to terms with how to streamline it.

granted china has made much more progress than india, as it should have. but u cant compare the 2. china is a communist regime. india is a democracy. the chinese government face no resistance when it undertakes a project of development. whereas in india if the government tries to build a dam it faces tens of law suits. if it tries to build a power plant it faces several PIL (Public Interest Litigation) hell if it even tries to remove illegal slums on its own government land it cant do so without having to face thousnds of protests and court cases et all

so in this case democracy is a clear disadvantage.

hence i think whtever progress india has made is phenomenal considering the above

M6D

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
god..id hate to say it..but this whole my country is better then yours competition is really startin to piss me off...who agrees here its just getting stupid?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
puneetsg excellent reply.

i always throught india started out as a fully functional economy and system after independence.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Seems to me that steps were taken years ago to protect airforce aviation electronics packages from this type of weapon using lead shielding of chipsets and EMP and Microwave bursts?

Dallas

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
you r really black and white a** talking s*** here

guess it right

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Great Find!
If the Indians have developed it then it is worth complementing considering their limited resources but how exactly is this going to be used?
Will they fire it from the ground at enemy satellites overhead or will it be space based or probably like the American THEL on a 747??
Anyways I think it must have been done indegeniously! But if it was done so long ago why is it being brought to our attention now??
Also why does india spend so much money/effort on war when it should be using its resources to build its infrastructure, economy and public amenities !

BTW Hope this doesn't turn into one of them " Mine is Better than Yours ' thing!!

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003

guess it right

lol really..... dont get angry

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
chinawhite, i wont even bother debunking your posts on this thread.

clearly they are based solely on hate and i am sane enough from experience not to drag into another endless flame war.

as i recall these quotes "Never argue with a fool, otherwise people might not no the difference" i refrain from further non-topic discussion from the thread.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirza2003

guess it right

lol really..... dont get angry

i dont get it ...

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
chinawhite, i wont even bother debunking your posts on this thread.

clearly they are based solely on hate and i am sane enough from experience not to drag into another endless flame war.

as i recall these quotes "Never argue with a fool, otherwise people might not no the difference" i refrain from further non-topic discussion from the thread.

"dont argue with a idiot or they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience "

i notice that i came on ATS after you

HATE

i recall you saying that you mock chinese people so you can have revenge for the 1962 war.

you have vast experience in flame wars you have stated more that 5

[edit on 20-6-2005 by chinawhite]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join