It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Trees Removed From Sea-Tac

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Is america not something like 78% christian? and only 1% jew
going by those figures i would consider america a christian country
so whats wrong with an american airport putting up christmass trees?
maybe the rabbi should have a bit more understanding
dont get me wrong let the jews advertise their religion
but christmass is only once a year and the airport should be aloud to
display what they want
ive never heard of such a problem here in ireland, everyone i know and every house i see celebrates christmass and no one ever complains, we have different religons sharing our country too

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The rabbi was just on O'Reilly and I have to say that he's gotten a bad rap. The rabbi is part of an organization that provides menorahs to various venues free of charge. His organization simply requested that the airport accept one of their symbols and display it.

The airport reacted as it did because they feared that people would be coming out of the woodwork to request that their symbols be displayed.

The rabbi stated that his purpose was to "increase the light" rather than to extinguish it.

I think that he was misrepresented in the media and that his intentions were honorable.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB
Turkeys, tall black hats and Indains = Thanksgiving day

Oooh, you used the "I" word. Definately ban and lawsuit material there!

I think you forgot Easter. Bunny rabbits, painted eggs, more candy.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I think that he was misrepresented in the media and that his intentions were honorable.

What?!?! The media misrepresented something for dramatic effect?!?!?

Thanks Grady. I am sure he is a very decent guy. I ike the part about adding light...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Funkydung...if you think that paganism is not satanic then you need to do some history readin. pagan is just a softer name for satanism. a modern name.

It is my understanding that Christianity created Satanism by introducing Satan in its dogma, or from the modern perspective was created as a reaction to it.

Much of the Christian festivities were lifted from paganism, and without paganism Christianity would never had been successful.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Matyas,

Erm nope. Satan is based on the Sumerian-Akkadian "Enki." At least in part. It's possible it originally referred to an entire branch of "Anunnaki" (Anu being the name of the progenitor god of the Anunnaki, who were his sons, so they were sons of "god" (et.al, angels)). Enki is referred to in ancient texts as The Great Dragon. You can see all kinds of ancient stories amongst the sumerian and akkadian texts which pretty much point to him being the template for the "bad guy." He was called the "Crafty god," the "Tricky god," the god of "wisdom" (knowledge).

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420...A name is a name, and people named after Christ, like it or not, were named after a religious figure.

So that means I inadvertently named my daughter after a religious figure!! Now she can sue me!

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Hey undo!

Well, um, yes but...

This good cop/bad cop idea has different interpretations in different cultures. The original idea of good vs. evil was introduced by Zoroastrainism, was it not? But this personality we see depicted in Christian literature named Satan has certain chacteristics that we relate to in these modern times? And the art of the annexation and subsequent preversion of Christian symbols is an even more recent reactionary commentary on Christianity?

So, specifically, Satanism as populary perceived owes its roots to Christianity. The bad god goes back further.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Matyas,

I don't want to take the thread off topic, but i'd be more than willing to discuss with you in a new thread
One of my areas of study, as a matter o' fact.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hey, that sounds good to me undo. I just looked at my last post, and my spelling was atrocious

In all probability I would be more comfortable in a different thread on this topic.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I will have a Christmas tree in My house...what the hell would I need one in an Airport for? Will I be going to Seattle to place gifts under it? No.

The Rabbi's idea backfired. However his action does bring up a point. If 1 should have, then it will just lead to the hundreds of others wanting decorations and celebrations in the near future and all at taxpayers expense. Its better to just celebrate at your own house,on your own property and at your own place of worship and thats that.

If they were to place a Menorah in the Airport who knows what kind of danger they may have invited, especially if it was placed there by threat of law suit. Some religious nut from either side of the fence Muslim or Christian could have done something wacko to denounce or protest it. The airport was smart in doing what they did.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I don't know if it was mentioned, but Sea-Tac is putting back up their trees.

Christmas trees are going back up at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.

Pat Davis, president of the Port of Seattle commission, which directs airport operations, said late Monday that maintenance staff would restore the 14 plastic holiday trees, festooned with red ribbons and bows, that were removed over the weekend because of a rabbi's complaint that holiday decor did not include a menorah.www.cnn.com...

Good, I thought this was ridiculous anyway.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
God, we live in a stupid world sometimes. People waiting to sue over the least little thing.

So we should just celerate at home behind closed doors? What in god's name have we turned into? Let's just hide ourselves in fear of hurting someones feelings? Who's feelings? That 1% of the population who hasn't smiled in 10 years and wants everyone else to be miserable too? And we insulted them with a Christmas tree? What is this non-sense we are talking about?

Let's just seggregate our damn selves? Would that make things better? Now you Christians, you guys go over here, and don't mingle with the Jewish people. And the Buddhist people, now you guys go over here and don't mingle with Islamic people.

This is the same segregation crap that happened with slavery. Blacks and whites were sepparated because they were different.

Yes, it is segregation. "Now you take that Christmas tree and you keep it over there to yourself, and don't let anyone else see it."

You should have pride in what you believe in, not hide it away like a dead body. If you have a beautiful wife, do you chain her in the house and refuse to take her out? Or do you take her out and enjoy being seen with her?

So I say to the Jewish folks, put up your decorations and celebrate if you want to. And I say to the Christian folks, put up your decorations and celebrate if you want to. And so on. And if folks don't like it, then tell them where they can place their lips. Chances are most people aren't going to complain anyway.

Troy

[edit on 12-12-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thats great.
The trees return.

Perhaps this will teach people not to aim lawyers at each other.

Merry Christmas, and Happy Hanukkah and Shalom, Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So does this mean no Menorah? Not even one in good faith?

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Not this year...they are going to work together with the Rabbi and decide how to best represent everyone at next year's "holidays".

Sounds fair to me. Keep the lawsuits off the table and fill it with plates of holiday food instead.

Happy Hanukkah/Chanukah!

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Christmas is only Christian to, as luck would have it, CHRISTIANS. Plenty of nonChristians celebrate Christmas. Atheists celebrate Christmas. Why? Because it's a holiday about family and love and giving.

Do you have a problem with that?

And so what if it's associated with Christ? Are we so wrong to glorify the name of the Son of God Himself?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
Christmas is only Christian to, as luck would have it, CHRISTIANS. Plenty of nonChristians celebrate Christmas. Atheists celebrate Christmas. Why? Because it's a holiday about family and love and giving.

Do you have a problem with that?

Such an aggressive tone for such a joyous time of year wouldn't you agree?

And so what if it's associated with Christ? Are we so wrong to glorify the name of the Son of God Himself?

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Of course I'm aggressive. It's insulting that someone would sue over a Christmas Tree. Or even fifteen. You know, I wouldn't be the least bit bothered if someone put up a menorah in their facility, whether it was government-run or not. The probability of it occurring isn't likely, but if it happened, I wouldn't sue and say I was "offended". Or even Kwanzaa regalia. I would most likely crack a lot of jokes about it but I wouldn't presume to be offended.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Well considering the rabbi didn't sue because of the christmas trees, your position is invalid.

He sued for lack of a menorah. Or on a grander scale, the lack of any other religous holiday paraphrenalia.

Yes, it shouldn't have bothered the rabbi enough to sue, but it's his right to have a judge hear his argument. Welcome to America, bring it up at the next Bar Association meeting.

The only real (small donkey) here, is the state, whom of which apparently told the rabbi to go fart down a hole, when he requested the display of a menorah.

Display the darn menorah, for christs sake.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join