It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Planets Except Earth Were Named After A God

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The Earth was a God itself to the ancients. We speak English Language, an offshoot of ancient Germanic. The Earth Mother back then went by many names: Erde, Jord, Erd, Nerthus.

Only in the West were the planets named after Grecco Roman gods. The rest of the world had their own unique names for the planets. Modern international science however, uses the Western names for the planets.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   
you are all wrong, MwaahaaHA!! Roman? nuh uh. Gaia? please... Here is the source for our planet's common name www.theforbiddenknowledge.com...
you all may know him better as Enki
www.gatewaystobabylon.com...
Ok what do I win?

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Oh c'mon, you all remember the movie Stargate right? Yep, He is in it!

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
xcalbiersword

I'm supposing you mean Gaia?

It is a nice name, but we don't call the Earth that anymore,
so it does'nt really count.

Who doesnt call her Gaia? Just because some rather sterile non spiritual people dont call her Gaia doesnt mean that "we" as a people dont. I happen to know a lot of people that call her Gaia! She is the giver of all life and is a living entity just as you are iori. She is just more beautiful and has much more style.
J/k

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by L3X
Terra is used also in other languages?

Terra (italian)= Earth

In Portuguese we have many words that came from Latin, and some are used without any change, like Terra.

Some words that I remember that I think are exactly (or almost exaclty) like those in Latin are porta (door), vitória (victory), óptimo (I don't remember the English word, I think optimal is not quite the same), cela (cell, small room), célula (small cell), etc.

That would be because Portuguese and French and Spanish are all Romantic languages. Romanian is the closest living language to that of what the people of Rome spoke, no doubt you will share very similar words. English is a mix of Germanic and Saxon, then after a good deal of time under French rule where English is outlawed we have a mix of Romantic words, Germanic words and horrible spelling (Like the word beautiful - comes from French along with all our other odd spelled words) But as far as I know all Romantic languages refer to Earth as Terra in some way. I find it off however that when the Catholic Church was at it's height.. why not rename the planets?

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

"Earth". The personified Roman goddess of the earth. She is also a fertility goddess, known as Bona Dea.

I have my own personal name for her given to me by the God and Goddess, the source.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
I think the name of the Earth is obvious...
Nobody saw it as a planet of it's own back in the day.

I'd have to go with Bandit on this one. Way way back then, they probably did not know that the Earth was just like the other "heavenly bodies" in space.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
All Planets except Earth were Named after a God

Yep, and look how well they're all doing.....

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 05:25 PM
link   
um...yeah, did you people read my post? I spelled it out for you how the EArth got its name. And still your guessing, and being wrong. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make em do a backflip...

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I have officially debunked the Focus statement of this thread. Game over.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join