It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Planets Except Earth Were Named After A God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think that it's pretty interesting that every one of the 8 planets in the Solar System are named after Roman and Greek Gods. Since Earth is most commonly known as Terra, it has no connotation with a God.

Venus was named after the Roman God of beauty.

Mars was named after the Roman God of War.

Mercury was named after Roman Messenger God.

Jupiter was named after the Roman King of Gods.

Saturn was named after the Roman God of Agriculture.

Uranus was named after the Greek God of Sky.

Neptune was named after the Roman God of the Sea.

Pluto was named after the Roman God of the Underworld. (Even though it is not considered a planet anymore)

Why isn't earth named after a Roman or Greek God?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
thats a good question. i wonder if it has something to do with the Christian god making the earth n maybe thats why they didnt name it after a god? or even maybe cuz outside of the earth everything that was in the sky was considered heavenly?

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It is an interesting and quite frankly thought provoking question.

With the older named planets, I believe it is because it was
just easier to keep the names that people were familiar with,
rather than having to rewrite everything and reteach people
that would go along with renaming the planets.

With the more recent planets, I believe it is because they
wanted to go with the tradition of naming them after the gods
of ancient mythology.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
accutly your all wrong earth was named after a God and she was from our point of view more powerfull then any other god even juptier .
earths oringial name was Gia ( wich means mother or giver of life )
the God gia was mother natiure her self with the power to give or take life its self.
earths name was changed to earth once the christion realgion cought on because they dident like the idea of any other Gods being more powerfull then theres .
so they changed it to earth .
Ps immange this first contact with alians that come to earth .
welcome we of planet DIRT hope to be your friends.
o brother how pathick can u get renaming your planet DIRT .lol
I like the name Gia so much better i say we change it back. just my 2 $.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It's Gaia.

And I think the name of the Earth is obvious...
Nobody saw it as a planet of it's own back in the day.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
xcalbiersword

I'm supposing you mean Gaia?

It is a nice name, but we don't call the Earth that anymore,
so it does'nt really count.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:02 PM
link   
LOL

Like the poster above me, the Romans named Earth, Terra. Terra means quite literally ground, or dirt.. what lies beneath your feet. If you see old Roman maps, it is a map of Terra. I think it was not named after a god for 2 reasons, one.. which god gets the honor? And secondly .. Earth was not discovered was it? .. Mars was discovered, and hence named after what ever the person who discovered it wanted. So in reality, if it is something that just is, we give it no attention, if it is something seen yet not experienced then it is named. If we where on Mars I am sure we would rename it red dirt.
I am not sure where "Earth" came from, though it must have been a germanic/saxon word to be in the English dictonary and not the Romantic languages who still use Terra.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Yeah, Earth was not seen as a planet (which means wanderer), it was considered the center of the universe and didn't move.

[edit on 12/9/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Actually, the Romans didn't name Earth after a god but a goddess. It was a Roman goddess named Terra Mater or Tellus Mater that the Earth was named after, but the words probably originated from the phrase "tersa tellus" which means "dry land". Personally if aliens ever did make contact, I think we should call our planet "tellus" and our solar system "sol" because I think latin sounds cool.

wiki on terra
wiki on sol

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Okay, planets were named after gods because ancient people thaught they were gods, not astral bodies circling the sun. We just continued the tradition so it didn't screw things up.

Question - How did planet earth get its name?
------------------------------------------------
The word Earth originates from the Middle English word, erthe, which came
from Old English eorthe; akin to Old High German erda. This then traces
back to the Greek, eraze from the Hebrew erez, meaning ground.

---Nathan A. Unterman

www.newton.dep.anl.gov...

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think it was Arthur C. Clarke who found it funny that it's named "Earth" when 70% of it is covered by water. Obviously it really should be called "Ocean".

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I think it was Arthur C. Clarke who found it funny that it's named "Earth" when 70% of it is covered by water. Obviously it really should be called "Ocean".

or Atlantis would also be appropriate.

back in early history, even in precivilization, the moving stars
were associated with astrology & the forces/gods of a zodiac
which became elaborate as it evolved with the priest-astrologer class.

the 'planet' knowledge didn't come till much later, but the astrological
mystical pantheon of gods' names for the 5 'stars' that traversed the earths canopy stuck...
even when science discovered with telescopes the other previously unseen planets and moons,
it seems that tradition and a certain theme or nostalgia continued...
even till the recent naming of the ort-cloud denizen "Sedna"

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by davirooPersonally if aliens ever did make contact, I think we should call our planet "tellus" and our solar system "sol" because I think latin sounds cool.

I think that "Terra" and "Sol" are best, but that is because I am lazy and those are the names we Portuguese already use for them.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think it's simply because humans saw everything they couldn't explain as God's(most humans).

People must have been very modest then.

L3X

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by davirooPersonally if aliens ever did make contact, I think we should call our planet "tellus" and our solar system "sol" because I think latin sounds cool.

I think that "Terra" and "Sol" are best, but that is because I am lazy and those are the names we Portuguese already use for them.

Terra is used also in other languages?

Terra (italian)= Earth

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by L3X
Terra is used also in other languages?

Terra (italian)= Earth

In Portuguese we have many words that came from Latin, and some are used without any change, like Terra.

Some words that I remember that I think are exactly (or almost exaclty) like those in Latin are porta (door), vitória (victory), óptimo (I don't remember the English word, I think optimal is not quite the same), cela (cell, small room), célula (small cell), etc.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I always thought that Gaia was in secret satan. With darkness referring to matter or primal material from which the physical universe was made and light the living force that animated it. It figures that earth is the heart of the physical universe for lucifer the fallen angel (humanity), imprisoned in the ea-rth prison.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Crisis
I think that it's pretty interesting that every one of the 8 planets in the Solar System are named after Roman and Greek Gods. Since Earth is most commonly known as Terra, it has no connotation with a God.

Others have noted that 'earth' was called 'gaia', but the greeks or romans didn't really call the world anything in particular. It merely existed. They considered there to be a godly principle in the world, and called it variable 'gaia' and the like. Usually though, this association is for the ground, not the atmosphere and seas and the like.

Why isn't earth named after a Roman or Greek God?

The planets were called by lots of different names by lots of different peoples. The roman names came to be used because rome ruled europe, and then later europe ruled the world.

This planet is called 'earth' in the english speaking world. In french is 'le monde', and in other languages its other things.

[edit on 10-12-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
This planet is called 'earth' in the english speaking world. In french is 'le monde', and in other languages its other things.

"Le monde" means "the world".

In French, the Earth is called "la Terre".

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Could it be because people couldn't see the Earth in the night time sky?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join