It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom Calls Cops to Arrest Son for Playing Video Game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
This is too much...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

A fed-up mother had her 12-year-old son arrested for allegedly rummaging through his great-grandmother's things and playing with his Christmas present early.

The mother called police Sunday after learning her son had disobeyed orders and repeatedly taken a Game Boy from its hiding place at his great-grandmother's house next door and played it. He was arrested on petty larceny charges, taken to the police station in handcuffs and held until his mother picked him up after church.

"My grandmother went out of her way to lay away a toy and paid on this thing for months," said the boy's mother, Brandi Ervin. "It was only to teach my son a lesson. He's been going through life doing things ... and getting away with it."

He's been going through life, doing things, getting away with it - whose fault is that?

Lady, the police department is not an educational service. They don't exist to raise your kid, train your kid, punish your kid, or otherwise supplant your role in the kid's life.

Do your damn job! The kid is twelve years old, and you gotta call the cops on him when he disobeys you?

Parents are increasingly reliant on the cops in this country to do the parenting. Part of it, I think, is all the unwillingness to discipline children physically. Another major component seems to be the explosion of uncontrollable kids. If it was ever this bad before, I never noticed.

I have a hard time believing it's not mostly behavioral (in other words, less of a medical problem than a lack of proper education) and not related to diet, excerise, discipline, and routine.

There are certainly kids who have a chemical imbalance or an inability to focus and learn, but I'm sure we can all agree that Ritalin is over-prescribed and that what these kids need the most is adequately-educated, involved and interested parents.

I posted this in OCE because I think we're building towards something. Many parents see their children as a hassle, a bother, an inconvenience. They would just as soon have the state raise their kids.

We're basically there already. The state determines how your child is to educated, medicated, and disciplined. You, the parent, can go to jail if you disagree with the state in these matters. The police can interview your child without you present, without even informing you of the event. The schools can bring in psychologists, therapists, probably even hypnotists, without even informing you. They can mandate treatment, even dangerous treatment, and you have no say.

So what are parents doing, while all this goes on? They just keep ignoring the situation, and don't seem to care overly much. After all, there haven't been any large protests in Washington demanding more parents' rights.

So, it seems to me that parents are happy to cede their authority to the state, and the state is happy to accept that responsibility.

I think we're nearing the day when the State will be responsible for the youth, from young on, maybe even in an away-from-home boarding school setting. Maybe it's for the best, but I doubt it. I don't trust the State to keep the potholes filled and the buses running on time, nevermind trust them with my children. If you look at the statistics for drug use, crime, pregnancy, and long-term criminal recidivism for kids who were wards of the State, I think you'll agree with me that the State can't do any better than the parents of today.

Opinions?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 02:31 AM
link   
First, I'd like to slap her for wasting the polices time.

2ndly, why does it seem that kids can't be kids anymore, they have be like OHHH ITS ADHD!

then they give them speed basically and thats suppose to make the adhd go away?

har.

but thats another topic.

what a craptastic parent imo.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I don't know which upsets me more, the idea of a mother having her son arrested because he didn't wait for Christmas morning to play with his present, or the police for actually arresting him and booking him for petty larceny for the same reason. It's nuts. Now this 12 year-old boy has a criminal record and has learned that his mother is more concerned with her own self importance than his welfare. Merry Christmas, kid, your mom really showed you what the true Christmas spirit is all about.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'd have to agree with everyone here and say that this is the dumbest thing I've heard this week. I mean having your kid arrested for playing Game Boy? Not only is it a waste of valuable police resourses, this woman should not be allowed to have any more children so she can't pass her stupidity to a next generation of moron.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
He's been going through life, doing things, getting away with it - whose fault is that?

Exactly. It is time that parents begin to be accountable for their lack of parenting and placing blame on the children or system itself. The child is twelve years old, if she can not discipline him at this point, what are we to expect when he becomes a teenager? Gets his license? God help us all, begins to consume alcohol?

The police are not at our disposal, we should not be permitted to call in the heavies every time a small problem arises.

Parents are increasingly reliant on the cops in this country to do the parenting. Part of it, I think, is all the unwillingness to discipline children physically.

Do you mean physically strike the child or place the child in his/her room? I am against any sort of violence against children. Honestly, what does spanking or slapping a child prove? That parents are superior and always hold some sort of power over the child? There are better ways to deal with a child.

I've always been a fan of reinforcement. Positive reinforcement is a much better tool than punishment. A common misconception is that negative reinforcement is actually a punishment in itself. Quite the opposite. If we talk to the child and offer some incentives for good behaviour, we may see a better reaction. Honey gets you more than vinegar right?

Another major component seems to be the explosion of uncontrollable kids. If it was ever this bad before, I never noticed.

I would not say kids are out of control. I believe kids today are just as bad as they were in any other decade. They have more outlets than children in the past, but one thing has changed. Kids today do have less respect for authority. Years ago there were children that did not respect their parents, police, authority, etc., but they were a minority. Popular culture today has brain washed children to deny authority and rebel in the eye of restrictions. It has become the cool thing to do.

We, as a society, have turned deviance and rebellion into the ideal behaviour for children. I believe respect is something we need to further on our children. But on the same level, respect for children needs to be granted. Everyone needs a period of latency. If a parent comes in and demands something at that moment, it is naive to think the child will fulfill their wishes. Allow the opportunity for the child to finish what they are doing, and then meet your wishes.

It is all based on respect, in my opinion. And both sides have room to give to meet this goal.

I have a hard time believing it's not mostly behavioral (in other words, less of a medical problem than a lack of proper education) and not related to diet, excerise, discipline, and routine.

Agreed, 100%. Not everything today has to be based on some sort of chemical imbalance or scientific explanation. Some children need better parenting and guidance. A lot of children are labeled and prescribed medication for problems that could be rectified with some attention and guidance.

Unfortunately, we have a scape goat for all of our problems today.

I think we're nearing the day when the State will be responsible for the youth, from young on, maybe even in an away-from-home boarding school setting.

I have to disagree on this point. I believe this is a tad bit extreme, feasible but extreme.

Opinions?

Amazing post.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
hahah talk about a bitchy grandma

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I want to know why it took months for the great grandmother to pay off the gameboy?

Anyways, I agree with one thing especially that chissler said, which is, that pop culture is brainwashing children. It's cool to listen to this crap music, it's cool to skip school, it's cool to beg parents for the latest shoes or the coolest brand of clothes and bitch if you don't get your way, it's cool to dis-obey your parents. Don't get me wrong, alot of blame goes on the parents too. The parents need to quit giving into their kids because this, in the immature state of mind in which the children are going through, gives them the sense of being in charge, which only encourages more such behavior. Parents need to be more involved. Get your kids involved in after school activites, sports. Keep up on grades, homework, attendance. Spend more time with them. Keep them out of harm's way. Monitor their internet and tv useage. Keep them away from negative influences. I think parents have gotten, for lack of a better term, lazy.

I also think, however, that physically punishing a child should sometimes be allowed. I'm not talking about nailing the kid in the face time and time again or throwing them out of a moving vehicle or things like that, but, inflicting, at the very least, minimal pain to show some type of authority and demand respect. This will teach the child discipline.

But, all in all, what a waste of the police department's time. This woman is a moron and should do a better job with her child instead of having this mentality that police are there for your issues only. I'm sure there was something better those cops could have been doing besides doing something that this woman was too lazy and incompetant to do herself.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Ah an *** whippin'. The lost art of disciplining your children.

Someone needs to reinvent the idea and replace it in the public square.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I would have done it. If the kid has a history of not respecting his parents and grandparents I would have asked the cops to hold him in a cell overnight.

Scared straight.

Or Id just beat him within an inch of his life.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheyAreWatching
I also think, however, that physically punishing a child should sometimes be allowed. I'm not talking about nailing the kid in the face time and time again or throwing them out of a moving vehicle or things like that, but, inflicting, at the very least, minimal pain to show some type of authority and demand respect. This will teach the child discipline.

Disagree, 100%.

Are we, as a society, naive enough to believe that by striking a child, we are teaching them a lesson? The only thing that is passed onto the child is that it is ok to strike another person. Well, to prove a point anyways. Spanking children is merely a tool that feeds the parents anger or frustration. It is not done for the good of the child, it is done for the relief of the parent. Any parent, and I mean any parent, that strikes their child on a regular basis, needs to rethink their tactics. There are far better ways to discipline a child than to strike them. I say again, striking the child is to feed the parent, not to help the child understand their wrong.

We believe it teaches them discipline? How will this teach the child discipline? Discipline comes hand and hand with restraint. If the parent is not capable of restraining themselves, then how is this going to teach the child?

It is setting a bad example, which will someday lead to the child undertaking the same behaviour.

Abuse Begets Abuse.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I tentatively disagree with you on that last post, chissler. I'd like to see how this current "time-out" generation fares growing up, especially around those who received more traditional forms of discipline (ie the belt/wooden spoon/hair brush/whatever).

I personally am a firm believer that physical discipline is often a necessary complement to discussion. Sorry, but when I was five years old, "don't do that, just because I said so," didn't have anywhere near the effect of "go ahead and take that and see what'll happen when your father gets home."

Were my parents abusive? Not in my opinion; I rarely ever got spanked, and when I did it was because I just couldn't be reasoned with. Five/Six/Seven years old is too young IMO to fully comprehend the full ramifications of one's actions. For some kids, just simply saying "It's bad, don't do it," is enough; for others, it isn't, no matter how many times you tell them or how many time-outs you give them. Sometimes it's easy to explain consequences to a kid and make them understand, other times it's almost impossible.

I remember being that young, and sometimes Mom and Dad just weren't right, playing with a cigarette lighter was a good idea no matter what they said. Believe me, the whoopin' I got made their point set in a lot quicker than my sister's wicker furniture caught fire.

Back on topic though... There were a couple of other points in the article I feel should be pointed out to those who just read the thread here without going to the article (something I do most of the time myself):

Rock Hill Police Capt. Mark Bollinger said the boy took a swing at a police officer assigned to the school last month. He has been suspended from school since then.

and...

The boy's case will be presented to Department of Juvenile Justice officials in York County, who will decide what happens to him, Bollinger said. His mother hopes he can attend a program that will finally scare him straight.

"It's not even about the Christmas present," she said. "I only want positive things out of it. ... There's no need for him to act this way. I'd rather call myself than someone else call for him doing something worse than this."

Looking at this with my overly-optimistic, rose-colored glasses, I see this as a last straw attempt at trying to teach the kid some respect for authority. I do think she failed somewhere along the way, but hindsight's 20/20 and all that. In this context, it seems less to me a case of "I just can't handle my kid" than "This kid needs more help than I can give."

I remember hearing many stories of parents calling the cops on their kids for such a reason; the stories I remember though, were always looked at in the light this lady's presenting it: just trying to scare the piss out of the kid. Take the brat for a ride in a cruiser, maybe to the local jail and stick them in a private cell for an hour or two until the kid realizes they aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then the parent comes by and (with a wink to the officer) "bails out" their child, and the kid walks out knowing that there can be worse consequences than being stuck in their room with their playstation and computer. I've never heard of an officer considering such acts a waste of their time--it's still serving the community, and maybe it'll keep the kid in line for the future.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I had to read this several times to fully believe what I was reading.

I mother had her sun arrested for repeatedly playing with his Christmas present before Christmas???

She picked up her boy after church-Christian, I believe.
For a Christian, she does not believe in turn the other cheek..........

I personally find this sort of BS common among very religious people of all religions.
They claim to be so devout, blah, blah, and blah and then go and act in the exact opposite way of their religious teachings.

I would really like to hear from the priest of that church to see what he/she has to say about how one of his/her flock is/was acting.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   

www.msnbc.msn.com...
He's been going through life doing things ... and getting away with it."

That says everything. "I don't have the guts to raise my kid, so I need the government to do it for me."

This is ridiculous! If he's always doing crap and getting away with it, then why is he being rewarded with a Gameboy for Christmas? I just can't say enough bad about this story.

I don't think he should get an ass-whoopin'. I don't think he should get a Gameboy, either, though. Did either the mom or the grandmother ever ONCE consider just taking the thing back to the store and returning it? Oh no! We can't do that! We MUST show our children love by providing a Gameboy and $200 sneakers.

He REPEATEDLY stole the thing! Let me just say that if my kid stole it ONCE, it wouldn't be there the next time. It would be back on the store shelf or stacked up at Toys for Tots. And my kid would damn sure know about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
if this was me my mother and i was that age or younger
it would truely be painfull

parents need to be more tuff on their kids
they do something stupid slap them and so forth

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
He will be an extremist now ... Thanks alot mom ... I hope he is just extreme in the right way ... because if he is not .... He has just learned the woman that brought him into this world. Will put him in jail .... or .. basically he can't trust her ... Who can he trust ??? Huge problems are ahead for this kid ... Watch what I say ..

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with limited physical discipline. If it's done in anger, it's not right.

If it's done to get the kid's attention, I think there's merit there.

Really though, twelve years is way too long to go without earning your child's respect. A lot of parents seem to think they can just feed the kid for the first sixteen years, not train them, and expect them to grow into responsible, respectful teenagers.

There were a couple of occasions where my mom got so fed up with my nonsense she had to put me in my place. One time, I had come from Karate class, and I was all hyped-up, running around, kicking things. She told me to stop, I gave her some lip, so she swept me off my feet. (Judo>Karate)

I think that was perfectly legitimate. It sure as Hell got my attention.

Maybe Machiavelli should be required reading for all prospective parents? Ideally, I would think, your children should love, respect, trust and fear you, all at the same time. It seems to work if that delicate balance is maintained...

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheyAreWatching
I want to know why it took months for the great grandmother to pay off the gameboy?

Forgive me, but what possible relevance is that to the topic?

Back on topic, why didn't the mother just hide the gameboy in a different place?

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Corporal punishment is provided for in the Bible and is perfectly legitimate.

The problem is that there isn't ENOUGH corporal punishment going on. Kids used to listen to their parents because they knew if they didn't, they'd catch a hard one from Dad, who sat in the recliner smoking and reading the newspaper and glaring at them from time to time.

These kids grew up to be good people.

Now, kids don't listen to anybody. They don't listen to their parents, their grandparents, their teachers, or even the police. Growing up, I was taught to have respect for anyone in a position of authority over me, or even anyone significantly older than me.

The problem is that parents are not disciplining their children properly, and until the idealist liberals figure this out, kids will continue to keep getting worse and worse.

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   
SO your kid shows ingenuity and resoursfulnes on discovering the where abouts of his christmas present early and playing with it. This is what kids are supposed to do. THe cops were tools for arresting the kid, and the psicotic, rightious mom is a nut if chuch is more important than picking her 12 tear old up from jail.

I'll say it....THE MOM IS A STUPID BITCH!!!!

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Another question. Why wasn't the child at church with his mother? No doubt they're those "soft" parents that let their kids choose where they do and don't want to go. Heh, that sure isn't how my life was . . .

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join