It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Shoot PS3 Thief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Damn, I know Sony is trying to prevent loss due to theft, but really!!

It seems that an 18 year old boy way shot to death, as well as his dog, when he answered the front door with a ps3 controller in his hand.

The nazi's, er cops
all empted their guns into the poor youth and his pet dog.

(and people wonder why I saw never ever trust a cop)

The 18 year-old, Peyton Strickland, was killed last Friday as he went to answer a knock at the door. Outside was a band of heavily armed police who, it is suggested, blasted him to kingdom come because the games controller he had in his hand may have looked like some sort of weapon

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source

If those cops are SO paranoid they empty their guns at the site of a PS3 game controller, they need to be removed from the police force.

Hey cops, this is real life, NOT GTA, where you shot every and anything!!

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
THis is another example of the incompetancy of US policing. In LA they unloaded 91 rounds into a explorer going about 5-8 MPH. A dozen cops had the vehicle surrounded. Know how many actually hit their intended target. 2.

Cops need to do much more training in terms of using their firearms under stress conditions. Anybody can shoot at a range, using the gun effectively or not at all is very different in real life under stress.

The real question is...how much of a stressful situation is a kid answering the door you just knocked on holding a playstation controller in his hands. At least let the kid put the 'gun' in a low high ready position. You know the one people asume right before they intend to even aim a gun to pull the trigger.

Just cause you are carring a gun does not mean you are hostile, other police forces know this and act profesionally. So why are american police forces changing the rules of engagement to all personel declared hostile-free fire zone. Shoot first and at any sign of conflict weather its an exchange of words to a hurtful finger gesture-real mature and professional. Or do cops have such bad situational awareness and social skills that they can't read even the most basic of human body posture.

I think that most US cops are basically insecure. They feel powerless in their own personal life so they will become a cop to mask their insecurities and control others, usually with negative public opinion. It's not because they are doing their jobs. It's how poorley they do their jobs that disapoint the american population.

I have friends in the marines over in Iraq. They ALL say, even guys in different units, that the reserve units made mostly of cops etc... are all reckless, incompetant in comparison to real marines, and usually abuse their detainees and POW much more than the regular guys. They also say that they hot dog, hang back and don't engage the difficult challenges so that they can kick in doors of random people in the random villages they pass through. Not man enough to be hanging or respected by the real marine units that are lifting their slack, and insecure enough to kick around villagers for fun. Then they return home and pull you over on the freeway and want to taser you because your head light burned out. Although they'll say you were uncooperative because you took too long to find your registration.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I just had to find out what kind of news source would use the quote "blasted him to kingdom come".

I saw this story in a legitimate paper this morning and it didn't say anything about the kid holding a PS3 controller. Still these cops seemed to be way out of control.

Peace

[edit on 5-12-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
THis is another example of the incompetancy of US policing.

You pass such vitriolic condemnation after how many decades as a police officer in a city ??? Those who are meant to die, die regardless.

Comming to killing the PS3 theif, its the way to go. Robbing kids of what they have waited for over 5 years for and spent such large amount of thier money is punishable by death.

Maybe once these kids play "The fall of Man" they will capp one in these theives next time they are robbed.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I'm genuinely shocked by the number of responses I've read by people elsewhere on the net who seem to glean a vicarious cathartic pleasure from this murder.

The assassination squad had seen pictures of Strickland and pals posing on the Interweb with a selection of assault weapons. So naturally they went in tooled up and took no chances. Stickland's dog, Blaze, was also blasted to bits. He probably had big teeth.

Sounds pre-meditated.

There is an inertia to the frustration people have with current economic, political and social conditions, as usual it seems the most vulnerable and not those responsible will act as scapegoats for the general malaise.

Murder is killing without a license.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wow, and this follows on the heels of two other recent police shootings (the 92 y.o. woman in Atlanta and the groom on his wedding day in NYC). They certainly are getting trigger-happy.

My pessimistic side says they're preparing for a police state. The half full side says maybe they're all just crazy, like, literally.

I don't know which is scarier.

edit to add link:N.C. police kill student accused in PlayStation 3 robbery

[edit on 5-12-2006 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What is this a joke?

This has to be the most pathetic cop story i've heard in my life. I'm sick of weak little cops with their firearms who are afraid of inanimate objects.

We need real men on the force, not trigger happy freaks who play too much halo. They have a bullet proof vest for christ sake! To top it off they outnumbered him!

I was going to say more, but I don't feel like getting even more angry.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:05 PM
link   
dibs on his ps3.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
dibs on his ps3.

Morbid, but

I get the feeling that he was the kind of guy who would have enjoyed the joke.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Did they get it on film? that'd make one heck of a Grand Theft Auto Commercial...

Like really... that'd be a sweet commercial am I wrong? .. talk about real-tv...

but seriously though.. was it necessary to shot the stupid idiot? like he's going to be out commiting crimes... he'll be at home playing farking video games.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I think they should have shot him! His crime is henious!! Next he would be in stores stealing $60 games. Or stealing it from peoples homes. Its a trend that needs to be corrected and I think he serves as a good example to all the other teenage hoodlums out there that if you are going to walk the tight-rope be prepared to fall!

You need to earn a PS3, robbing it from a somebody who has earned the right and is willing to doll out some serious cash for that is wrong.

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Your right IAF. The cops should have shot the kid instead of doing their jobs, which is to arrest the kid. THe dimunitive cajones of US police personel is alarming and I suspect that their great police predicessors who didn't have body armor and probably didn't shoot nearly as many civilians as todays cops, and took down the bad guy the old fashioned way by a scuffel and a pair of handcuffs are rolling in their graves.

Cops need to go back to remedial shooting school and basic gun safety class cause they seem to shoot a lot of people without justifiable cause.

Another thing to get PO'ed about is how low the US police are lowering the bar, as to when leathal force can be used. It seems like a cop will shoot you dead without warning if they even risk breaking a nail on the arrest. Real manly. Now go out there PD and stir up more public dissent.

Yeah it seems like they are trying to desensatise us to being submisive to a military/police state.
Either that or they have gotten so LAZY that they don't even want to do their jobs correctly and take the easy although cowards way out and shoot first without investigation. God forbid they break a sweat doing their jobs. Wait, give em 5 years and you might get tasered for doing just that. They'll then justify it with CVC/3295063b Arrestable crime to cause any officer of the law to break a sweat while preforming the funtions of their job. God forbid it's a hot day and they need to actually get out of their air conditioned cars, a lot of people are going to get shot in the summers comming up I predict, especially in humid regions.

[edit on 6-12-2006 by BASSPLYR]

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
A police officers job isnt about being manly! If that was their job they would be wearing leather jackets and a Rambo bandana, slitting throats and stuff on the street. They are there to enforce law and order. They need to be given more freedoms to do this without all the bureaucratic BS and investigations that people rake up every time a police officer discharges his gun!

They are highly stressed individuals and unlike the cop shows on TV it isnt a glamorous life they lead. They do long hours for little pay and at the end of the day they get a lawsuit for doing their jobs. They need to be given some leeway to perform their duties without all this interference.

The kid stole something and refused to yield to the officers. Anytime you act funny with a man with a gun and a badge you're going to get capped and that is a lesson that everybody should learn!

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Being manly is being mature and using ones knowledge, and power with discretion. Not wearing bandannas and slitting throats. Besides rambo was laughed at by the SF community. Even those guys operate with professionalism and discretion. And the ones I know that walk the streets on shore leave usually have a soft spoken voice, and don't look for trouble although the younger ones sometimes do-but hey age brings maturity.

I say no more cops under the age of 25. Live life a little before you go around judging others. Grow up some so that the decisions you do make are the right ones and not blasting some kid who stole a playstation.

Besides stealing anything other than human lives should not be punishable by death. Thats just retarded and barbaric.

Cops make better livings than most. Starting pay for an 21 year old cop on the LAPD is about 35-45 thousand once they collect on their hazard pay etc...better than most 21 year olds. Cops don't get sued all that often it just that when they do it reaches the news. Most cops are VERY protective of each other and will throw a complaint about a fellow officer in the trash before they would log it. Cops do lie to protect their butts, and all the time, sometimes even in a systematic way through out their entire departments. I have a story that goes along with this statement to back it up, but I'll spare you since it would take at least 2 posts back to back.

top topics

join