It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist Fights Church Effort to Hide Museum's Pre-Human Fossils

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Here is a new article on the topic!.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 01:50 AM
link   
One thing I find humorous about this article is that the church seems very upset that these "theories" may be "misconstrued" as fact, when they are really nothing but theory. Yet they claim their beliefs to be "the Truth" with not so much a 1/100 % of the evidence he presents! Yeah and the cigarette companies didn't wan't us to know that there product would give you cancer!
I guess if the truth is bad for buisness......

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
One thing I find humorous about this article is that the church seems very upset that these "theories" may be "misconstrued" as fact, when they are really nothing but theory. Yet they claim their beliefs to be "the Truth" with not so much a 1/100 % of the evidence he presents! Yeah and the cigarette companies didn't wan't us to know that there product would give you cancer!
I guess if the truth is bad for buisness......

Exactly!!! People in control don't want you to get smart, because then they are no longer in control. Silly church, getting all upset about theories.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 06:55 PM
link   
silly religion, leave natural history to coherent scientific theory based on the scientific method

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Sadly, this is just like book burning where they simply want to hide information from you simply because they don't like the direction it points. They would rather that you stuck your head up your ... err in the sand, and embraced ignorance.

I was stunned when I read this story yesterday. Richard Leakey and his finds did a great deal of good for their country. It brought a great deal of currency into their country as well as improved education and facilities. Now they wish to bury the truth so that it better matches the beliefs held in their Book. It clearly shows that they are afraid of the truth much as was the Pope when he imprisoned Gallileo as a heretic simply because he stated that the Earth revolved around the Sun and not the other way around as the church insisted. This type of deliberate ignorance is sadly on the rise.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Sadly, this is just like book burning where they simply want to hide information from you simply because they don't like the direction it points. They would rather that you stuck your head up your ... err in the sand, and embraced ignorance.

I was stunned when I read this story yesterday. Richard Leakey and his finds did a great deal of good for their country. It brought a great deal of currency into their country as well as improved education and facilities. Now they wish to bury the truth so that it better matches the beliefs held in their Book. It clearly shows that they are afraid of the truth much as was the Pope when he imprisoned Gallileo as a heretic simply because he stated that the Earth revolved around the Sun and not the other way around as the church insisted. This type of deliberate ignorance is sadly on the rise.

Last sentance says it all.
Deny ignorance.

Lex

[edit on 4-12-2006 by Lexion]

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Dude this pisses me off!!! Stop meddling with science. Just because it dismisses everything you base your life on, is no reason to try and ban the fossiles.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
If the Church believes something is wrong, they should be respected for opposing it.

posted on Dec, 4 2006 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
If the Church believes something is wrong, they should be respected for opposing it.

but they shouldn't be allowed to stop the display of pre-human fossil specimens
it's a PERSONAL RELIGIOUS BELIEF
those have no place in science

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3

They believed that freeing the slaves was wrong.
They believed that women voting was wrong.
They believed that prohibiting wife-beating and child-beating was wrong.
They believed that heretics should be stoned.
They believed that adulterers should be stoned.
They believed that people who taught the Earth was round should be burned at the stake.
...and so on and so forth.

And we're supposed to respect this? Really?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Right on Soccer Mom

Beside how can you ban something that is fact. The fossiles are fact, what they mean for peoples beliefs is a different matter. The fossiles exist and should be displayed.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
If something makes a group of people question their faith, it will weed out the weaklings and leave only the strongest to carry on the tradition. In other words, if this information is being surpressed, it must be incredibly damning to the Church.

I think anyone who attempts to supress information of any kind is committing a crime against humanity and should be punished accordingly. This act that the Church is perpetrating should be illegal and should have legal consequences. They should be held accountable for their attempt to keep us ignorant.

[edit on 5/12/06 by an3rkist]

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Hi There,

Richard Leakey is right to call the Leaders of Kenya's Pentecostal congregation comments as outrageous, but the problem lies within science's lack of a equal, organised and synchronised social voice, against a well-organised, embedded throughout all levels of society, religious itineray.
Anything outside the scope of religious doctrine and dogma is to be denied, even to non-believers. Unitil humankind rids itself of religious superstition, it will never step out of the 'dark ages' to emerge fully into the 'light of reason'. Read Dawkins' 'The God Delusion'.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
Read Dawkins' 'The God Delusion'.

and read Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale: a Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution.

and read Dawkins' The Blind Watchmaker: Why the Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design

and read Dawkins' .... well, you get the picture

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Gee, Here's an article written by Joe Skeptic. Let's all swallow it hook line and sinker.

Incredible.

Bring on the science. All it proves is that evolution is impossible. Wakeup

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Religious zealots wish to hide the truth, that Evolution is a proven fact. Recent studies have proven that humans have indeed evolved as recent as 3000 years ago. Here is the link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

No matter how much they try to hide the truth, it will be found. Deny ignorance and shine the light into the darkest corners.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sun Matrix
Gee, Here's an article written by Joe Skeptic. Let's all swallow it hook line and sinker.

Incredible.

Bring on the science. All it proves is that evolution is impossible. Wakeup

what proves that evolution is impossible?
the fact that ignorant religious people are trying to cover it up because it proves them wrong?

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
If they don't want the specimins, they should give them to a country and museum that does. The American Museum of Natural History, I am sure, would absolutely love to have them.

Its horrible that a church can disagree with and idea, and then, rather than facing it in the full light of day, simply demand that it be supressed.

sunmatrix
Bring on the science.

Glad to see we are all in agreement. If this pentecostal church beleives that man was created, and didn't evolve, then they should be saying, 'display whatever you want, however you want. We have faith, and a fossil isn't going to shake it'.

Rather, these fools are cowardly asking that it be supressed and hidden. Their faith, apparently, is so weak, that dusty bones can destroy it.

For the record, the church is Christ is the Answer Ministries, headed by "bishop" Bonifes Adoyo

Here is the church's email address:
[email protected]

And here is an email that I sent to them:

re: www.livescience.com...

Dear Sirs:

I think its despicable and reprehensible that you are objecting to a public museum properly displaying fossil hominid remains. Its perfectly understandable that your religious beliefs conflict with a scientific understanding of human evolution. But to demand that the evidence for human evolution literally be suppressed and de-emphasized, at a museum of all places, is utterly unbelievable. Is your congregation's faith so weak and ephemeral that it can be destroyed by a display at a museum?

And what business does the church have in telling a museum what do to? The two should be kept separate, I am certain that if a secular agency like the museum was interfering with displays within your church, that you'd object to it.

If the question is 'what do to about these fossils", then "Christ is the Answer" :

"All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them."

Object to their ideas, and discuss them openly if you must, but its simply wrong and unchristian to call for them to be suppressed.

[edit on 12-12-2006 by Nygdan]

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This is one more reason for me not to like religion added to my already large list. If it was right to do anything in the name of religion, wouldn't this agree with terrorists? If you ask me religious groups should watch what they do before they start causing more wars. This incident my be a pebble in a lake but, you never know.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
And here is an email that I sent to them:

Very well written, Nygdan

I sincerely hope that, in the remote chance your email is answered, you will reveal their response on this thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
removed 2 'that's'

[edit on 12/12/06 by masqua]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join