It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lost sock conspiracy---any answers?!?!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Obviously, if the socks are missing then... they must not have been there in the first place... Do socks actually keep you warm? they seem like they do but, that is your mind playing tricks on you...

I have noticed this strange phenomenon and come to the conclusion that, in the first place... there was no socks, they are holograms, possibly CGI but, I'm not too sure.

I'm sure you will all agree with me on closer inspection of your socks... The people behind it is Wal-mart... think about it... they are RICH, why? Because they sell socks, there number 1 profit making scam would be to use holograms and sell air, its genius actually.

The red sox must also be holograms too.

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Oddly enough I don't tend to have a problem with losing my socks... I can't say the same however for the bits of sanity I misplace here and there.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I imagine it is one of those mysteries that if we knew the answer to would undo the entire universe as we know it. Either that or they are all going to Hong Kong because apparently thiers dont go missing.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I loose them too!Makes me hesistant on buying them. Some even dissapeared when I lived alone. Possibly the washer and or dryer "eats" them, or socks, being kinda small just got lost easy. Other times people probably lift them when in need!:bash:

[edit on 6-9-2007 by dreamingawake]

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   
You know how the Tooth Fairy takes away your teeth? Its kind of like that, only with socks. And a gnome.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I'm pretty careful when it comes to my socks. Certain philosophers (Emilio Estavez in St. Elmo's Fire) have speculated as to why socks often get lost when people do laundry, but until recently, that had never happened to me. In the span of 19 years I had never lost a sock. But then around October of 2006 I lost a sock. Then another two weeks later. And another around Thanksgiving. And it slowly dawned on me that something was afoot. Why were my socks suddenly disapearing like Chinese panda bears? What had changed?
The answer? My. Smokey.
It occurred to me that the only aspect of my laundering that had changed was my newfound affinity for petting a feline of unknown origin. Accessing the public laundry room in my apartment complex required me to briefly walk outside of my buildings backdoor, where I consistently encountered a large gray cat that I like to call "Mr. Smokey." Despite our initial differences , I struck up an amicable relationship with Mr. Smokey; Whenever I saw him, I would scratch his kitty ears and his kitty tummy, much to his kitty delight.
Or so it seemed.
Evidence began to mount that suggested Mr. Smokey was using this weekly exchange as a diversion to steal my socks one at a time. It's still not clear to me why he wanted my socks, as I had always assumed kittens wanted mittens (In order to acquire pie)
However, there was no other explanation for these disappearances. In fact, I have reason to believe there was a whole network of cats involved in this. Perhaps Mr. Smokey stole my attention while a second cat (or cats) pounced into my laundry basket, snaring the best available footwear and fleeing into the darkness. I'm convinced and even larger cat (Mr. Orange) from a neighboring building was part of the conspiracy.
That is my simple thought as to where our socks might go.
Remember that you heard it here first.

posted on Oct, 30 2007 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xnotetoselfx

So it is the Kitty Mofia! I knew it! curese you Mr. Smokey and your theiving ways. There must be a large demand for black market socks in the kitty underground. By the way that was the BEST POST EVER!

[edit on 30-10-2007 by tetsujin420]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 04:31 AM
link   
You know, I've been away from here for quite some time now, and I just logged in to see what's up at at ATS, when I saw this question. I just had to answer because I've also been wondering for most of my life about why I rarely do a load of laundry and end up with an even number of socks either. I thought it was like a universal mystery - never to bve solved.

But just earlier tonight, I accidentally came upon the answer! In the dryer, there is a little space underneath of the lint trap, barely big enough to get your hand to reach down under there - unless you have a really small hand like I do. But usually, there's no reason to be reaching under there, and it's not visible by just looking in the dryer to make sure you got everything. But those socks land when the dryer stops and ineviabely, one, sometimes two, but usually one single sock is hiding under there! Next time you do laurdry, be sure to reach your hand in the little space under the lint trap. See if you come up with a sock!

God luck!

posted on Dec, 14 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Here's a possibility.

I'm of the opinion that socks are composed of a grand total of 2 threads. one to seal off one end and the other comprises the rest of the sock. So what happens is that the big thread becomes unraveled in the washer and then in the dryer the entire sock becomes unraveled and exits via the hot air exhaust as a single thread snakeing it's way to freedom.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wisefoolishness

Ummmm I think I may have everyone's tupperware lids... The problem in my house is that I always have a zillion lids but no bottoms. If any of you have found extra tupperware, I'm willing to make a trade for your wayward lids!

Spoons, socks, pens and oddly toilet paper disappears in my house. I'm wondering if my next door neighbour might be MacGyver and he keeps sneaking over to here to get parts for some elaborate machine he's building.

Michelle

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Instead of going the the extreme of abducting you maybe they find it more simple to take a sock.

I mean it will have skin and hair and other part's of your DNA in there.

Makes perfect sense.

Also beware of cutlery going missing i go thru falk's like i go thru sock's.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 2-3-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I think I prefer the worm hole idea, because not only do my socks go missing, but I also find socks that don't belong to me or my mom. They are always tan and ruffled (they remind me of something an old lady would wear) and I only find them when washing dish towels. I always throw them away, but I suppose I could give them to goodwill that way the poor sock less old woman can have her socks back.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
When I was a kid low and behold I found the answer to the sock problem! One morning while looking out the window I saw my dad with a sock static clinging on his shirt! He walked to the end of the driveway and the sock fell off!

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The Underpants/Socks Gnomes have been tracked to Argentina....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
i have a theory that when certain fabrics are put under certain stresses combined with the right chemical and mechanical influences. they develop a certain charge in their electrons. this charge if it is combined with the electromagnetic field coming from the electric motor of the washing machine can create a state of quantum flux in which said material might slip from this reality to an alternate one.

this dimension i believe is made up entirely of socks and the scientists of this dimension are working furiously to try and understand the super socks theory.

i wonder if there is a dimension out there missing a set of super strings????

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Lost socks wind up with the Langoliers of course. When the phase shift hits and the people move on the socks in the running dryers are miscounted. Not all get replaced. Then they sit in that dead world waiting......For the furry beasts with the sharp teeth....And they chew..........And gnaw..........And crunch......Pray you never miss the phase shift....Or you may join your lost socks.
The Langoliers do so love fresh meat.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by ntech]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ntech

Did you actually go and look up "lost socks" on the search engine?!

I only buy black socks to avoid the problem of having odd socks. Trouble is, the more they are washed the greyer they become so im forever trying to match up shades of grey!

I wish the langoliers would come and gobble the bloody lot of them up so i could start afresh!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It's Closet Trolls!

Those little suckers hide in closets, cabinets and even in boxes. They sneak out when no one is looking and steal things like socks, pens, keys and eye glasses. Sometime they only move things from one place to another and sometime they steal things. The weird thing is that they have a fixation for "double" items, they seem to hate pairs. Closet Trolls always seem to split up pairs by stealing only one of the items.

The trolls that the OP has in his home must be adults, the children of Closet Trolls only bite holes in things, mostly clothing items like socks and T-shirts.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
socks......

i have considerable experience of the paranormal phenomena that involve socks.

most recently, having suffered a series of losses of socks that i'd recently worn (and left on the floor) i decided to investigate. it turned out that my flatmate's dog had been eating them. my flatmate had noticed that the dog was having trouble when trying to defecate - a bit of sock would poke out from the dog's bum, which my friend would then have to grab hold of and pull (gently!) in order to remove the whole thing. this happened several times, one time i witnessed it... omg it was so gross..

when you buy socks, buy 5 or ten identical pairs - this way, you don't need to think of socks as being pairs, merely a collective pool from which you can pick any random two safe in the knowledge that they'll match.

if a sock disappears, ask out loud "whoever you are, if you've hidden my sock can you please put it back? thanks" - and there's a good chance your sock will be returned to you... usually, gremlins take them. or dogs eat them.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
ATS can knock your socks off - not sure where they go after that!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join