It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lost sock conspiracy---any answers?!?!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 08:01 AM
link   
gnomes.

they also steal your underpants

los bastardos

posted on Dec, 31 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I have been trying to figger that out for YEARS.
I buy packs of socks, same color and style, and with a month, they are missing.
I stopped washing my clothes with anyone elses, I am meticulous about checking inside legs and sleeves, and cuffs, and yet I am missing socks.
The same for my kids.
This year alsone I have bought at least 50 pairs for each of them, and they have about 7 pairs...
No cats, just a free range hamster, who doesn't take them... They have been going missing since before the hamster.
What gets me is when I found brand new socks that I had just bought in the basment of my mothers house.. No way those socks got there on their own.. 67 miles away..
Also, I have found socks in my clothes that I do not own.. Never a pair, just one or two here and there.
I have come to the decision that there is an indterimentional worn hole in driers and when any two driers are started up at the same time, and they have the same resonant friequency, a portal opens, and they transport from one drier to another.
Somewhere someone has all my socks.

posted on Jan, 1 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Finally someone brings up a conspiracy at which I happen to be an expert. Evil Santa almost has this correct:

Originally posted by EviLSanta
The truth is that while the dryer is doing its thang, the rotations mixed together with the lint created, opens up an inter-dimensional vortex that last just long enough and it just big enough for a couple of your socks to slip through.

Actually, after years of research on the matter, I can tell you that the rotational pattern, a minute amount of static electricity, and the sound frequency of the dryer itself, do combine to create an kind of worm hole which leads directly to the Hozone layer. Because the Hozone layer is composed of hosiery, anything "hose-like" gets sucked in. This includes nylon stockings, socks of all types, booties, and sock puppets.

You should be filled with gladness when you are missing a sock because you know in your heart that you have made a contribution to preserving our fragile Hozone layer. I salute you, missing sock person, for doing your part for humanity!

posted on Mar, 25 2007 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is all very true! Have you noticed as well that only one sock from a pair ever goes missing? Then you end up with six socks which are all different!!

As for the missing pens - in 'The Book of Ultimate Truths' by Robert Rankin there is a very good explanation for this...they are sentient beings that do not like their bodily fluids being smeared about! Also explains why when you take an electrical item apart there is also a small screw left over and many more of life's mysteries! Well worth a read!

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I had a cat years ago that loved stealing socks. Especially brightly colored ones. Alas, Poncho is no longer with us, may she RIP. But, my socks still end up missing.

My theory... ghost cats!

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Sock Cop.

But isn't it always the way? The socks have too much freedom so we're forced to employ Draconian measures like increased sock security. Cuffing the socks together in a preemptive manner and sans due process.

The good obedient socks are punished along with the bad wayward socks. Personally, I say let the socks be socks. Except the damn Argyles!

Besides, I actually think I come out ahead. Whenever I end up with an odd number of socks, it appears I actually have more than I started with.

Maybe my dryer's the "receiver".

posted on May, 2 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
In this documentary an investigator recounts a time when he explored his dryer to discover the mystery of a missing sock. His findings are quite conclusive, and somewhat disturbing:

www.youtube.com...

LOL Do you mean to tell me that MARIO is behind the missing sock mystery!!?? Sorry that is so funny. Well at least it wasn't the sock troll.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Wow, this whole thread is hilarious. I know what you mean though missing socks be it from the washer or drier makes no difference they still mysteriously vanish. Then those times when you find someone elses socks in your laundry, a house full of people you ask everyone and no one knows who's sock it is. To help alleviate the problem all my socks look the same so even if they don't go together they still do. Does that even make sense. Whatever it does in my head.

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Strangely enough I have never lost any socks since I moved to Hong Kong.

Obviously this means that the sock monster (Cheeseus Feetus) has been kept out of asia, although they do have Hong Kong foot which is really itchy and alltogther better if you don't wear socks in the first place.

Hong Kong foot' is a literal translation of athlete's foot.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's the fault of evil trolls it must be. They steal socks, pens and run around your house breaking pencil leads. I know they do. They then hide them never to be found again. Bad evil trolls.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Ok, I believe Ren and Stimpy figure this whole lost sock thing out in one of their brilliant episodes. I believe they somehow got transported into another world where they stumple upon a giant mountain of missing left socks!!!!

posted on May, 24 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Hmm, all good theories, but I think the socks sneak off to die. I think when a sock starts getting holey and worn before it's mate, it tries to save it's mate the pain and suffering of watching the other die, and goes off to the Sock Graveyard. Similar to Cats and Elephants.

Though I lose new socks, and ironically bra's as well. So maybe it's the elves, looking for sleeping bags and slingshots.

posted on May, 25 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
i say damnit to two things right now 1-i don't have one freakin tupperware lid in my tupperware cabinet, and 2- someone already posted the underpants gnomes.

my theory is this: socks and tupperware have waged a war on each other. every night, socks sneak out of the hamper, while tupperware gets out of the cabinet. they then perform a series of air raids, and nuclear strikes with their secret technology. after suicide bombing each other for a short period of time, they ascend to sock, and tupperware heaven, where they are met by forty-seven virgins.

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I like Seinfield's theory on this. The socks get tired of being put of people's dirty feet and escape the dryer. The slink away like inch worms.

Though, I guess some of them get a little lost and end up in other people's dryers.:bnghd:

posted on May, 30 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Hmmmmmmm....................
Where do those socks go? This is quite a conspiracy! Yep, I keep losin' socks too. I don't have too many pairs left. Just lots and lots of single socks. Yep I got alot of right socks, but not many left socks. Very strange.
Wait! I got it! It's all becomin' clear and stuff! Whenever I'm......well, you know.........ummmm.......... "with myself", I always use a sock! Yep! It makes sense. I bet that "my glue" causes a reaction on a molecular level that makes that sock disintegrate when exposed to the heat of the dryer!

Pure genius. I amaze myself with such good thinkin'............

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
Where do those socks go? This is quite a conspiracy! Yep, I keep losin' socks too. I don't have too many pairs left. Just lots and lots of single socks. Yep I got alot of right socks, but not many left socks. Very strange.
Wait! I got it! It's all becomin' clear and stuff! Whenever I'm......well, you know.........ummmm.......... "with myself", I always use a sock! Yep! It makes sense. I bet that "my glue" causes a reaction on a molecular level that makes that sock disintegrate when exposed to the heat of the dryer!

You truly terrify me. I myself still like the EVIL SOCK GNOMES idea. Gnomes are evil.

posted on Jul, 10 2007 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf

Originally posted by lombozo

You truly terrify me. I myself still like the EVIL SOCK GNOMES idea. Gnomes are evil.

Terrify you, eh? Bwaa Haa Haa Haaaaaaa...........
You're right - gnomes are evil. I hate gnomes.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   
the strange thing is, i always lose socks, NEVER any other kind of hosiery. it's just my socks. and always the black ones. the ones with patterns etc? noo, they KNOW they can't run away unnoticed.
i don't do my own laundry now though, my mother does. i think she's the one stealing all my black socks.
still, i always hear complaining about missing socks from the rest of the family, too. strange.

and yeah, pens. where in the world are they going? i seem to buy new ones all the time, and still i never have any pens when i need them.
and pencils.. well, i only use pencils when i draw, but i have bought one of those you add your own lead to, you know.. the clickclickclick ones. at least then you can SEE if the lead is broken, and replace it

also, another thing that ALWAYS disappear is uh.. hair elastics? think that's the word. i swear, i buy a pack of 20 elastics at least three times a year. lately i've begin to store them in a box, hidden away in a drawer. still i never can find one when i need it. sigh.

posted on Jul, 14 2007 @ 04:45 PM
link   
[Just a theory.

A real headscratcher but here goes....
What if washing machine / tumble dryer manufacturers have modified the water exit pipe(s) or in the instance of tumble dryers the convoluted heat exit tube to expel a one sock per load.
Could it be possible that this clandestine technology be responsible for identifying and then extracting the sock and sending it into the sewer system and on its way to a water treatment plant.
Water sewerage works could be harbouring thousands of socks or even stockings.
I acknowledge this is a wild theory but it's the one explaination that lies on the verge of probability.
Whatchya think....?

posted on Jul, 24 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I say it the Tooth fairy. She comes at night and takes your socks to keep her feet warm at night. Try keeping a better eyes on the socks

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join