It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Laptop

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This qualifies as an aircraft. (?)

During a taped experiment, an ordinary laptop is released by a robot arm from a height of about seven feet. Just before it shatters on the stone tile floor of the lab, small arms shoot out of the laptop ejecting air under high pressure.

Then the laptop "lands" safely and retracts the arms automatically.

Video here

I want one for Christmas. If it´s real that is. I seriously doubt any sensor technology we have is that advanced. If we do have it, how about glueing a couple to your old boots and jumping off some skyscraper?

Basejumping without a parachute. Imagine...

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Fake.

Where is the source of the forced air? Not enough room in a laptop for that let alone the proximity sensors, guidance controls, gyros, and so forth. Even the jet nozzles look CGI.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Wicked!

It's a Fake video
But it certainly is reading the minds of IT personnel
I'm recommending we purchase these for our Clumsy sales people.
Except the one guy that ran his over with a jeep. It'd be cheaper just to replace the guy in that case.

There are a couple more vid's here:
www.lenovo.co.uk...

[edit on 1-12-2006 by spacedoubt]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I love it I want one! Dang if it were only real that would be so cool. of course it would have to be damn quick cause most people don't drop there laptops from above their head. But that was a fun little video to watch.

Kinda reminds me of the hoverboards in back to the future where the heck are those? I want one of those too! why havent they worked on those yet?

[edit on 1-12-2006 by whatukno]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Terapin:
Agreed. Reluctantly, but agreed. No way this technology could exist yet. I could however imagine a high pressure air chamber in the bottom section, but how much air could that possibly hold? Surely not enough.

But you must admit the thought as well as the effect are pretty cool...

No idea who is behind this, or who would take this trouble in making this elaborate fake. Anyone know?

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Truth4hire]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Truth4hire..

Check the link I supplied. It's from Lenovo UK..That might provide a clue or two..

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
There are a couple more vid's here:
www.lenovo.co.uk...
[edit on 1-12-2006 by spacedoubt]

Excellent!

Now I know the source, thanks a bunch spacedoubt...........

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Is this crosstown traffic?

We must stop crossing posts.........
Thanks again

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
too funny. good find.
that much R&D in laptop preservation would yield a crunch-proof laptop, not air jets.
some kid's CGI class final.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I´m quite sure it is a promotional stunt by Lenovo who took over IBM Thinkpad recently. These guys........

Anyway, the source for these videos is

www.lenovo.co.uk...

On the same server the homepage is

www.lenovo.co.uk...

Which is the same as

www.lenovo.com...

Ergo, PR stunt!

Check out the other two videos on the first link. They include a coffee spill protection where the screen and keyboard are instantly closed by "blinds" once you spill a liquid. The other records and display yourself as a holograph, diligently working behind your laptop.

Great for a little R&R !

top topics

join