It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah's an "Oreo", Says Rapper 50 Cent

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   
HH, you can't deny though that the ClearChannel generation of rappers serves no purpose other than to dumb down the population, 50 cent being one of them.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
Hiya, BH!

Hi!

I'm not a 'fan' of Oprah, meaning I don't watch her show or buy her magazine, but I do have a great deal of respect for her, what she's come through in her life and what she does with it. I admire her greatly. She worked HARD to get where she is and what she does with her fame, money and position is totally her business, but she's chosen to do a LOT of good with it.

And I'm not a particular fan of 50 Cent.

I'm wondering why she irritates you. Simple personality traits or is it something she's doing? Do you also feel that she's somehow 'sold out' or that she's 'too white' or something?

I watched Dave Chappelle again (for like the 3rd time!) on Inside the Actor's Studio last night and he said that if we're going to come together, we have to talk about this stuff openly. Talk about someone I admire! He's really something! If you have a chance to see that show, I highly recommend it.

A lot of rappers are becoming increasingly offended by what appears to be her aversion to them.
She claims not to dislike rappers; she dislikes their objectification of and total disrespect for black women.

Thanks for this explanation. I don't dislike rappers either and some I like very much, but I do take issue with some of the lyrics, but hey, it's what they're about. As long as they're not hurting anyone, they should be allowed to sing about what they want. And Oprah should be allowed to have them on her show or not.

I suspect 50 could have been lashing out at her. Probably a stupid thing to do. I doubt she cares whether the rap community holds her in high regard. She'll probably end up in some songs now...

Good to see you, HH.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
why does this "diss" make the ny post and not other various "disses," and even death threats, that rappers "spit" at each other daily???

is it because 50 cent poked fun at oprah???

hmmm...

i believe that this is the real issue here...

why is oprah so "high and mighty" that, when 50 cent "disses" her, it makes the news but not various death threats that are part of the rap game???

Ex

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
why is oprah so "high and mighty" that, when 50 cent "disses" her

I think it has something to do with
fame, the media,& the food chain

Like Monica and Bill
She became famous from an act

Text

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
HH, you can't deny though that the ClearChannel generation of rappers serves no purpose other than to dumb down the population, 50 cent being one of them.

I don't deny it. You're absolutely right, but, just to be clear, it's ClearChannel at fault, not neccesarily the rappers. There have always been misogynists; ClearChannel gives them a platform.

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm wondering why she irritates you. Simple personality traits or is it something she's doing? Do you also feel that she's somehow 'sold out' or that she's 'too white' or something?

It's more of a gut reaction, but let me really think about it... a little of both, I guess.

I feel like she should do more to highlight issues that affect black people, not like she should do that everyday, but I mean, she is black. I don't know if you've been reading the thread about the police shooting in Queens, but the young 'almost-widow' handled it the way I wish Oprah would. Let me explain. There are issues, like police brutality, that affect mostly people of color. I am not aware of Oprah addressing that on her show. However, if she had re-framed the issue as a 'police problem' as opposed to a 'race/class problem,' a few lives may have been saved. Remember, it was the historical equivalent of 'soccer moms' who got the abolition ball rolling, and the suffrage movement. So, in conclusion, lol, my problem with Oprah is that I don't think she's fully utilizing her platform. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Also, what is up with her referring to Stedman as "her partner?" That phrasing led me down a whole path of questioning that I would have preferred to avoid.

If you have a chance to see that show, I highly recommend it.

I saw it when it came on! I love him, and admire the tough choices he made. And he was right, we do have to talk about this, but then again, he was raised in a university setting (I believe either one or both of his parents is a professor), so, naturally, he would be a proponent of open discourse.

As long as they're not hurting anyone, they should be allowed to sing about what they want. And Oprah should be allowed to have them on her show or not.

And that's how I feel about it too. Although, I think her choice veers into the ridiculous when she invites the cast of Barbershop on her show and doesn't invite Ice Cube. It just looks silly on her part, I think.

She'll probably end up in some songs now...

Haha, she certainly will. I'll keep my ears perked.

Good to see you, HH.

You too, hon.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I feel like she should do more to highlight issues that affect black people, not like she should do that everyday, but I mean, she is black.

I'm going to start a thread about this.

Also, what is up with her referring to Stedman as "her partner?"

What? What's wrong with that? She's about my age. It would feel kind strange for me to refer to my 'man' as my 'boyfriend' if we weren't married. They're hardly just dating and gay people refer to their partners as ... well, their partner. I think it's short for "life partner".

What do you think she should call him?

I believe either one or both of his parents is a professor...

Yes, both. His mother is VERY highly educated with several degrees. He said he's the first in his family not to go to college. I thought that was funny.

I think her choice veers into the ridiculous when she invites the cast of Barbershop on her show and doesn't invite Ice Cube.

Sorry, was Ice Cube in the movie? If so, that is kinda strange. But still, if she has a stick up her butt about rap, I can understand it.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I loath rappers with upmost disrespect, but I do have respect for Oprah because of how she helps people. Although I don't watch her show, sometimes in my free time I would turn on the TV and see her show on while going to get something to eat. And then I would change the channel but I would hear what she has done.

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm going to start a thread about this.

Uh-oh. Should I be worried?

She's about my age. It would feel kind strange for me to refer to my 'man' as my 'boyfriend' if we weren't married...What do you think she should call him?

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about the age thing and how, I guess, it would be weird to call him her boyfriend. OTOH, the reason gay people call them "life partners" is because they are prohibited by law from marrying in many places. What's her excuse? I mean, aren't they married in common law, by now?

Sorry, was Ice Cube in the movie?

Yep. If it was a book, he would have been the protagonist. I can understand disagreeing with someone (or a group of people) on principle, but that's like, if I hosted Meet The Press and invited everyone in the Bush administration, except for Bush himself, since I don't like him. What's the point?

posted on Dec, 5 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Uh-oh. Should I be worried?

politics.abovetopsecret.com...

OTOH, the reason gay people call them "life partners" is because they are prohibited by law from marrying in many places. What's her excuse? I mean, aren't they married in common law, by now?

I don't know about common law. But I just don't see a problem with this. I could easily call my husband my partner. He is, after all.

I can understand disagreeing with someone (or a group of people) on principle, but that's like, if I hosted Meet The Press and invited everyone in the Bush administration, except for Bush himself, since I don't like him. What's the point?

That is very strange. I think I'll be doing some research on this Oprah/rap thing tomorrow.

I'll be back...

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I'm not an Oprah fan but I do have alot of respect for her. She's intelligent, talented.. quite a good actress but I never considered her to be like a middle aged white women. Whats so bad about white women anyway? How does one be like a white woman? Why is it such an insult for a black person to be called one..? She at least fights against things like racism.. he's not only blatently racist but hates women.

Maybe he doesn't like her because she earns more and women actually listen to her and not to him?

posted on Dec, 6 2006 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Also, what is up with her referring to Stedman as "her partner?" That phrasing led me down a whole path of questioning that I would have preferred to avoid.

"I told Oprah, 'if you married me, you'd be Oprah Chopra'" - Deepak Chopra to George Stroumboulopoulos, on the show - "The Hour". Lol

It's unfortunate and in keeping with rap's co-opted status into the corporate music world, that Fity cent would descend to racial slurs.

Nothing gets by them in the CNN age, with wealth disproportionately concentrated in white hands, (bearing in mind white's constitute the world minority), and TV constantly pumping out these inflated and false ideas of what constitutes happiness - I'd say it's a world full of badly misled people who emulate a pathological addiction to stuff.

posted on Dec, 11 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater
"I told Oprah, 'if you married me, you'd be Oprah Chopra'" - Deepak Chopra to George Stroumboulopoulos, on the show - "The Hour". Lol

An excellent article about this subject:

Insulting more than Oprah

She produces programming ("The Legends Ball") that celebrates the passages of great black women, she promotes black authors (full disclosure: I was once one of them), she speaks out on racial issues, she makes a movie ("Beloved") on the horror of slavery, she builds a school in South Africa -- and yet, somehow, white women don't fear her. Even when she rebukes them for racial insensitivity.

I remember when one of those women, intending a compliment, told Winfrey she didn't think of her as black. And Oprah said, whoa. Black, she explained, is exactly what she is. Her predominantly white audience cheered. That's a minor miracle.
It's hard for me to understand what's wrong with that, or inherently "not black" about it. Mr. Cent makes the mistake a lot of white people do: assuming there is but one monolithic black experience and that it is street, poor and hardcore.

He insults us all, not just Oprah, because it denies this fact: Black is many things.

Also:

Oprah secretly looking after 10 African orphans

TV talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has been secretly parenting 10 children in South Africa for the past four years.

The 52-year-old media mogul bought the school-aged children a house, hired caretakers, sent them to boarding school and visits them several times a year, reports Contactmusic.

How dare "fiddy" call her a middle aged white woman! And an Oreo at that! What a turd. :shk:

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Oprah is a moron. I'd rather slit my wrists than watch two minutes of her propaganda.

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_cross3
Oprah is a moron. I'd rather slit my wrists than watch two minutes of her propaganda.

What exactly is propaganda? I agree that the show itself is insipid and doesn't apeal to me whatsoever, but I wouldn't call it propaganda.

posted on Jun, 22 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I dont waste my time watching Oprah, but she has done alot for people and she does try. All I see is rascim, so what if she is black and acts like a white what is wrong with that. They say only whites can be racsist but here in SA we see this sort of thing all the time

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So what does "A white" act like? Because I know many "a white" who act very differently than Opera.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
mmm oreos.

I always wondered what she'd taste like...

chea.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm betting biscuits and gravy. It is oprah after all.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
I'm betting biscuits and gravy. It is oprah after all.

Now youre making me hungry...

the hunger inside. the pit desires this "oprah" flavoring.

posted on Jun, 25 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
mmmmm Baby back Oprah

Oprah fried rice

Oprah on wheat toast.

crap, now I'm hungry

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join