It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oprah's an "Oreo", Says Rapper 50 Cent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Source

The loose-tongued rapper accuses Oprah of being an Oreo – black outside, white inside – in an interview in the January issue of Elle ... saying that the Queen of All Media "started out with black women's views but has been catering to middle-aged white American women for so long that she's become one herself."

What makes people say things like this? What is a "black woman's views" and WTF does he mean when he says she's become a "middle-aged white American woman"??? Hello?? She is in fact a middle-aged American woman. What makes him think she's 'acting white'? Because she's rich? Can't a black woman become rich without being accused of selling out to whitey???

:shk:

I understand he may be upset because she doesn't have rappers on her show and he may not like her personally, but to say she's white because of this just goes right by me...

I'd really like to hear any explanation of this because I'm totally at a loss.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
All of my black friends hate Oprah but that isn't saying much because all of my white friends hate Oprah too. I must say that I have some smart friends with good taste. :-)

Many black people say that she sold out and caters too much to white middle-aged women but that demigraphic does make up the vast majority of her viewers. She will only put a black entertainer on her show when that black person is someone that the old white women want to see and that is usually a very “safe” black choice.

But anyway, what the rapper said about Oprah is just his opinion. It isn't right or wrong. It is just his own opinion, he is entitled to it, but it doesn't really mean anything.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Maybe this is what he means
From O
www.oprah.com...

www.oprah.com...

www.oprah.com...

www.oprah.com...

Not really articles made to cater to the average black family, wouldn't you agree?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Wonder what Oprah thinks of him. I find rap music(?) and rappers disgusting. I think they are not much more than noisey, depraved thugs. It speaks very badly for this country that such garbage has become as popular as it is. This is one of the symptoms of a country that is rotting and destroying itself from within.

A better word for rap music is rot music.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by SkyWay]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Sky, why not speak about 50 cent specifically ratherthan grouping all rappers together and degrading them all. What if I said all country musicians were redneck hicks who slept with their sisters?

Or all rockers were heroin addicts who should have ODd long ago?

A little offensive to some?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
50 Cent is real ignorant, I mean I knew he was a fool when he came out with is lil gangster movie...

At least Oprahs not corrupting the minds of our youth, Curtis Jackson from a middle class neighbourhood in Conneticut....

Hes a fake. He says hes from the means streets of New York, but he knows the Truth....what a loser.

His music is awful too

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
Sky, why not speak about 50 cent specifically ratherthan grouping all rappers together and degrading them all.

Everytime I have caught sight of one of those thugs they conveyed the same general impression -- worthless thugs that are popular only because there are so many depraved people in this country. They are foul and their noisey recordings are foul.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Nevertheless, the question is whether Oprah is an Oreo. I may not be a fan of 50, but I'm also no fan of Oprah, and can see what he means.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Nevertheless, the question is whether Oprah is an Oreo. I may not be a fan of 50, but I'm also no fan of Oprah, and can see what he means.

But someone as disgusting as a rot singer has no business criticizing anyone. The are gutter rot.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Oprah an oreo, gee, my little sister doesnt talk about people like that...

Black on the outside? White on the inside??

What the hell is this garbage, am I the only one confused here...

What does it mean to be black? What does it mean to be White? Arent we all just people?

Its amazing because 50 cent isnt even black, hes mulatto. Almost no black in America is pure black....50 Cent is too ignorant to realize that he is probably more of an "oreo" than Oprah!

Its a shame people havent evolved past that yet...its an even bigger shame that these people are rich and famous, and are idolized by kids. Thank God for Ascension or else this planet would be doomed.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by LightWorker13]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Oprah's an "Oreo", Says Rapper 50 Cent

[edit on 12/1/2006 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:27 PM
link   
From te Wiki

Philanthropy

In 1998, Winfrey began Oprah's Angel Network, a charity aimed at encouraging people around the world to make a difference in the lives of underprivileged others. Accordingly, Oprah's Angel Network supports charitable projects and provides grants to nonprofit organizations around the world that share this vision. To date, Oprah's Angel Network has raised more than $51,000,000 ($1 million of which was donated by Jon Bon Jovi). Winfrey personally covers all administrative costs associated with the charity, so 100% of all funds raised go to charity programs.

Although Winfrey's show is known for raising money through her public charity and the cars and gifts she gives away on TV are often donated by corporations in exchange for publicity, behind the scenes Winfrey personally donates more of her own money to charity than any other show business celebrity in America. In 2005 she became the first black person listed by Business Week as one of America's top 50 most generous philanthropists, having given an estimated $250 million. Despite being the 235th richest American in 2005, Winfrey was the 32nd most philanthropic. Her philanthropy includes girls' education in South Africa and a $10 million donation to Hurricane Katrina relief. Winfrey also put 100 black men through college with $7 million in scholarships.

Winfrey was the recipient of the first Bob Hope Humanitarian Award at the 2002 Emmy Awards for services to television and film. In 2004, Winfrey and her team filmed an episode of her show entitled Oprah's Christmas Kindness, in which Winfrey, her best friend Gayle King, her partner Stedman Graham, and some crew members travelled to South Africa to bring attention to the plight of young children affected by poverty and AIDS. During the 21-day whirlwind trip, Winfrey and her crew visited schools and orphanages in poverty-stricken areas, and at different set-up points in the areas distributed Christmas presents to 50,000 children, with dolls for the girls and soccer balls for the boys. In addition, each child was given a backpack full of school supplies and received two sets of school uniforms for their gender, in addition to two sets of socks, two sets of underwear, and a pair of shoes. Throughout the show, Winfrey appealed to viewers to donate money to Oprah's Angel Network for poor and AIDS-affected children in Africa, and pledged that she personally would oversee where that money was spent. From that show alone, viewers around the world donated over $7,000,000.

If she is giving money back to the black community in an effort to bring other underprivledged people up to her level someday, then I can't see that as being white on the inside.

Maybe when 50 cent starts becoming a major philanthropist, and donating millions to the black community (that doesn't mean buying bling for G-G-G-G-G-Unit), then he can talk about her. Until then, he should stop talking. His big mouth has gotten him shot before.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I think that says it all. So be it.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:42 PM
link   
why can't oprah enjoy her success as she sees fit without being labeled with such an ignorant title as 'oreo'?
hell, i do things that most other black people wouldn't even dream of touching with a ten foot pole, so what does that make me? what exactly does she owe 50cent as a tribute to her success? what has he done for her?
i'm not a fan of oprah. i don't watch her show, or tv in general for that matter. but seriously, 50's a hypocrite. he's raging on and on about how oprah doesn't care about issues of black women, yet he can perform and distribute such songs as "Candy Shop"? please, someone call the whaaambulance. he should try cleaning the sludge off of his own face, before slinging at someone else's.
:shk:

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   
All the charity work and generosity that Oprah does is probably the reason that rot singer 2bits, or whatever ridiculous label he gives himself, is loudmouthing against her. Rot singers believe in spending their money on clown outfits instead of helping others.

Oprah has come a long way. And she tries to help others to do the same. That alone makes her worthy of respect instead of loudmouth insults from the gutter gallery.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyWay
Rot singers believe in spending their money on clown outfits instead of helping others.

Can you please define Rot singers, because I'm starting to get a little confused.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Rot singers believe in spending their money on clown outfits instead of helping others.

Can you please define Rot singers, because I'm starting to get a little confused.

Rot singers are my word for Rap singers also known as HipHop. Their noise is horrible and foul like things rotting and reeking. So, I choose to describe them as rot.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I've seen this as a more and more established trend where successful Black individuals are hailed as sell outs by some black communities. They said the same things about General Colin Powell and I've heard them say it about other successful Black Americans. Lets face it Orah caters to her target audience I don't call that selling out I call that smart buisness. I don't like her show but i respect her buisness sence. Because she caters to middle aged white women she now has the cash flow to do more good in the black community than most. That's not selling out and this coming trend only hurts black people.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Rot singers are my word for Rap singers also known as HipHop. Their noise is horrible and foul like things rotting and reeking. So, I choose to describe them as rot.

If that's te case, may I politely ask again that you not make hasty generalizations of groups that you likely kow very little about past what you've seen on TV. I find it offensive. Please make specific charges against specific individuals. Go ahead and rag on 50 cent, but don't lump him in ith Dead Prez.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I admit the rap today is trash. All of it. All the famous good rappers got killed by the establishment...hint hint...

All the rappers that get any kind of air time today are ones which go with what the establishment wants...music that degrades. So, thats all we hear and see.

There are alot of good rappers out there, in fact, I am good friends with a rap group that his what you would call good, good lyrics, good original music, and they rap about important topics, not "Blast your ass with a Tech-9" or "Shake ya booty" or whaever other mind numbing stuff that passes for talent these days...

There are alot of good, deep rappers out there, but they are all underground. They never get the big break, or get signed to a big deal, or get paid millions of dollars. These people are doing good things, not like 50 Cent.

For him to criticize Oprah for neglecting black woman issues, I would think that black and white woman share the same issues. They both want happiness, and security. They want to provide for their families, and live a good life. They want improve their standard of living, and see their children better off then they were. Despite what the media portrays, by the numbers, there are more poor white people than black people. Blacks may have greater percentage, but I think we can all agree...nobody should have to live in poverty. Not blacks or white. But many millions do, in America alone. Until 50 Cent remembers this, and stops looking at what Oprah isnt doing, and look at what she IS doing, and remember that we are all one consciousness anyways, he does not deserve all the accolades he receives.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by LightWorker13]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join